Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

weird signal, but it's silver

DougF

I continue to hunt a wooded site in a park where I have found a lot of silver coins (30+) over the last year, but the finds are getting scarce. The last four hunts here I have been digging more nickel signals. Still finding some deep wheat cents, 2 or 3 per hunt. Yesterday I went out for 2.5 hours and moved to a section where there is very little trash, unlike the rest of the area where there are bottles and cans scattered around. There were very few signals of any kind, but I hit something in the nickel range. Used the pinpointer before digging, and it was shallow, maybe 2 inches. Surprised to find this piece of (repousse) sterling, a corner piece of something, marked "sterling 925 fine". After I got home I scanned it with the detector just to check, and it gave a solid 11-08 when laying flat. The silver is pretty thin, though, so that probably explains why it gave a pull-tab type signal. Only other finds were 1919 and 1942 wheat cents.

I researched online and it appears to be a corner piece to a desk blotter. Whatever it was attached to was pretty thin, like cardboard or thin metal. Apparently it was common to have four sterling corner pieces on your desk blotter. Other picture is a sterling ring I found at the same site on the previous hunt. Looks like weather is going to stay mild for a while longer.

Great finds! Itis to cool for me to go out at 46*. But I did get some research done for next year!!

Well,if the blotters had one on each corner you’d better get the hell back out there! I’m not sure why the signal would have such a low CO number but those are both some damn nice finds! Perhaps the shape is the culprit?

IDXMonster said:
Well,if the blotters had one on each corner you’d better get the hell back out there! I’m not sure why the signal would have such a low CO number but those are both some damn nice finds! Perhaps the shape is the culprit?

Yep, after finding out what it was I thought "where are the other three?" I'll get back there sometime. I assume that the detector software uses several characteristics of the signal to assign a CO or FE number. Maybe the non-round shape pulls the CO number lower?

Sweet find!