Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well fellas here's the update on the mystery coin from OBX.........

Mark ( ohio )

after 96 hrs in a vibrating tumbler using crushed corn cob as the abrasive and threw in a bunch of dug wheats from yrs past to act as more abrasive...................... Unfortunately there is NO visible identifying features at all !! But, it is the exact same size as a Eisenhower silver dollar and weights 18.5 grams............. Any thoughts from anyone on what it may be ? I'll say with almost 100% confidence that it is made of copper. Those maravedis from the 16th-17th century, were they that large of a coin ??

Mark ( ohio )

Maybe, but I really doubt it... I'm wondering whats next ? Lemon juice, white vinegar ???? Ketchup was good for coins, cant remember if it was nickels or coppers. ??
I'd try soaking in a penetrating oil in a plastic bag so you can rub it as it soaks for days. I used Kroil mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil.
Maybe you'll get some details.
I wouldn't attack it with anything aggressive.

I found what I thought to be a large cent a few years ago, but it was also slick on both sides.
I used electrolysis on it and then tumbled for short periods of time checking occasionally.
I was finally able to tell what it was… only a small portion of facial profile on the coin.
It was a flowing hair large cent.. no other detail left.
What ever you have, it must be very old!!

The owner of the trucking company I worked for for years until he died carried a silver dollar in his pocket for good luck. It was worn smooth.