Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well........it happened again!!!!

Ivan

Recently I had the opportunity to test my Compadre up against a Mohave. And in light to medium mineralized sand beaches it beat the Mohave......... As I recently posted. Almost immediately people responded that the Mohave was defective or not working properly. Well I came across another Th'er using a new Mohave. and guess what after spending about 4 hrs testing.....the Compadre with it's 8 inch coil was definitely deeper . It hit many coins on edge with a more definite sound. It also hit our thin 18kt gold test chain better than the Mohave.....under these conditions old Compadre rocked Mohave's world. Ed (Mohave's owner) was surprised.....but he agreed.....slightly more depth.....more definite audio....and better hits on edge coins......Compadre a classic!!!!!!

Thanks. Just the fact I was having to retrieve tabs at 6" with the Compadre was enough to wait. My only though was NOW I could have to dig them deeper!:rofl:

I love the 8" compadre....And if you crank the internal sensitivity Abit....Well it's a true one knobee that gives results !

No matter what my compadres will always have a place in my stable. Great machines at a price that can't be beat

Ivan,

I'm hearing that the 8" chocolate donut coil will get the Mojave another inch in depth, so I can't say that I'm surprised to hear that your Compadre w/8" coil gets better a bit more depth that the Mojave with the 7" precision. Admittedly, there does seem to be a lot of enthusiasm with the latest, greatest offering by Tesoro. I'm sure the Mojave will find its' place in the grand scheme of things. Living in the rocky mountains, we have our fair share of more highly mineralized areas where the low/high mineralization switch makes perfect sense.

I have to say I like it to this point and plan on keeping it.

Rich -

Well the fellow with the Mojave, Ed ......lives in the interior of British Columbia. The mineralization there is "Yukon/Alaska" like...............and I asked him about the performance in those environments. He said it was marginal at best!! Said there was a real serious depth drop off in the high mineral mode. This is a low end detector ...remember that.............don't expect too much. That is why Tesoro makes other more powerful models as well. Don't hunt Elk with a pea shooter!!! LOL LOL

Ivan said:
Well the fellow with the Mojave, Ed ......lives in the interior of British Columbia. The mineralization there is "Yukon/Alaska" like...............and I asked him about the performance in those environments. He said it was marginal at best!! Said there was a real serious depth drop off in the high mineral mode. This is a low end detector ...remember that.............don't expect too much. That is why Tesoro makes other more powerful models as well. Don't hunt Elk with a pea shooter!!! LOL LOL

That's funny about the depth but then again we are talking a different soil type I understand . but here in Texas my Mojave hit a Nichol better in high mode than low mode also already removed the stock coil from it and replaced it with the brown donut coil I had from another Tesoro and yes I gained about an I inch or more in depth with disc at below Nichol the stock coil will be used as a backup coil for Shadow X2 . since I believe that's what it is anyway JMHO though

"I wonder why Tesoro went with a new coil for the Mojave......when they have the brown 8" coil ...which I truly believe is one of the best most reliable coils.......not just at Tesoro but in the entire industry!!! BarryL did you do any tests for coins on "edge".........that's where the brown 8" coil just kills the coil on the Mojave. In our side by side tests the 8" coil could hit a dime on edge at 6 " deep. The stock Mojave coil could not read it deeper than 4".Matrix was light to medium mineralized dry sand. I'd be curious as to your results if you do some tests in your neck of the woods...just a thought.

I'm with you Ivan,

I think your buddy lives on the other end of the Rocky Mtns that go through my back yard, so I am familiar with the conditions. Lots of old mining towns around me and some still in production.

You're right, it is important for all of us to remember to have the right tool for the job at hand. That said, it is surprising what a little entry level priced Tesoro detector can do hunting in these old mining and railroad towns. So using your analogy, not all shots are 1500 yards, sometimes a .30-30 lever action with open sights will do the job and the Nightforce scoped .50 cal Barrett can be left in the truck. :thumbup:

You bring up an interesting point about the new 7" precision concentric coil. Why? There's the 8" chocolate donut and the 6" (5.75") lightweight concentric. Why spend the $$ designing a new coil ? Or did they already have the design on hand? Has anybody compared it to a Troy Super 7" ? I've been wondering about this myself.

Anyway, best to all of you out there with your beep and digs.

Rich -

Ivan said:

You make some good points Rich. Just maybe they had all the guts from Troy's Super 7............. so they used it. As a side note I know one guy who uses the Brown 8" coil on his DeLeon and says....WOW does it ever improve that detector. Don't be afraid to move those coils around!!!

I haven't done a direct comparison yet but my Troy on my Deleon is fantastic. Had the machine tuned to it when I had the coil rebuilt. Great pair!!

are working just fine for me and are a 'will stay' fit in my Regular-Use Detector Team, to be sure.

I have other Tesoro's and Nokta's that can provide me more depth, if I want and need it, and I am sure a coil swap with the Mojave might nudge that number up a trifle, but as it is, I kept the new 7" coil on the Mojave after trying several coil swaps.

As for search coils of the past, and who designed and made them, look non further than Jack Gifford for the well-known Troy Custom Super 7 Inch. The Shadow X2 was a Jack Gifford design with some small modifications to the Silver Sabre µMAX, and while I liked the Shadow X2, it was mainly because I liked the color scheme change. I still preferred my Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX because it was more 'functional' with the variable Threshold control on the control face rather than a tiny trip pot on the inside.

Troy wanted something different.

Tesoro had a weighted thin-profile 7" coil for their water unit as an accessory option. [size=small](Refer to the Stingray II manual under optional coils.)[/size]

Jack Gifford used that white, thin-profile 7" housing, did it in black, and eliminated the non-buoyant filled design to make the new Super 7 Inch for the Shadow X2. I spoke with him on the phone back then regarding that coil and the design and he told me it wasn't easy to try and get it to work well. We discussed the Tx and Rx internal windings and he gave me the answers I needed for what was sometimes being spoken about back then.

From what I have been told from the folks who ought to know [size=small](Rusty H. and Allan C.at Tesoro)[/size] the new Precision 7" Concentric might be a 7" thin diameter, but it is NOT the same as they designed for the Troy Custom Shadow X2, which was a Jack/Tesoro designed coil and not something Troy designed and made.

Monte

Ivan said:
"I wonder why Tesoro went with a new coil for the Mojave......when they have the brown 8" coil ...which I truly believe is one of the best most reliable coils.......not just at Tesoro but in the entire industry!!! BarryL did you do any tests for coins on "edge".........that's where the brown 8" coil just kills the coil on the Mojave. In our side by side tests the 8" coil could hit a dime on edge at 6 " deep. The stock Mojave coil could not read it deeper than 4".Matrix was light to medium mineralized dry sand. I'd be curious as to your results if you do some tests in your neck of the woods...just a thought.

sorry don't have coins buried on edge should have thought about that but alas I did not all I can do is try a test with a few buried and post results which we all know will not be too accurate as freshly buried coins will respond different than ones with a halo

Ivan did the test today Brown 8 inch coil hit 1964 dime on edge at 7 inches , Mohave coil after I resoldered the connections or let me say my grandson did hit it as well in my North Texas dirt not as solid as the 8 inch coil but it did hit on it slightly , now with that being said I tried a small silver ring and the 8 inch hit it solid the Mojave coil would not read it

Resoldered? Resoldered what connections?

he said he resoldered the wire connections in the screw on plug

Oh ok.
Didn't know they were soldered.
Last one I looked at had screws for each wire. Put in the hole and screw in from the side to hold wire.

That could have been a sensor plug at work
Memory not what it used to be.
Good to hear whatever he did helped!!

he replaced the complete plug from some I had ordered from switchcraft a couple years ago I also had him do a mod on a compadre to change coils at the same time

Cool!!
Well at least it fixed whatever issue you were having.