Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well, you asked for it

Geo Unit

So I'll tell you about my first outing with an AT Pro. My pre-order got all messed up somehow, so when I thought there might be one hunt left b4 the weather changed for winter, I was left watching the last chance day pass by. Lucky me, my friend dropped by to pick up some things I had for him and brought his AT Pro! Altho it rained plenty, the temp had soared to 50+ that morning and was now trying to get to the20s as quick as possible. We tried the Pro out in my front lawn and could only find shotgun shell brass, tho it was at 6" or better. The house dates back to the early 1880s, but altho heavily pounded with the ACE250 over the last 18 months or so, it refuses to give up silver. Plenty of wheats and a few Indians, but only one silver dime- a 1959. I hoped the Pro mite have the depth to find some silver that's got to be there. It was getting colder fast, so we decided to just try to find a good two way signal and get inside and warm. Just kind of doing a quick walk thru the yard we finally got a good signal in the 80s on the ID and at 10" or better. Knowing my yard, I figured we had some old iron but the Pro said "NO". So I started digging, And Digging. And a little more and finally when the digger plus handle (a measured 10") were below the surface of the ground we pulled out........a 1798 Large Cent!!!! I still can't believe it. I went over this spot many times in the last year but the Pro got the copper. So now I have to adjust my thinking from Victorian era and do some heavy research on post Revolutionary times in this neighborhood and altho silver still eludes me I couldn't be more thrilled. So hang in a little longer and spring will be here and then we'll really find out just what the AT Pro can do.

Awesome find!! I'd take that over silver any day!!

WOW..That is a great story and great find. Now to go dig with my ATPro. It isn't daylight, but I'm headed out anyway. :garrett:

Great find. Looks like its time to re hunt your old hunted out sites. If you have the time next time when you find a good target deep with you AT Pro recheck it with your 250.Then you will get a pretty good idea of what you missed. Question is, can you live with that thought. Sometimes I have found in the past If I attack a sight from from one angle and found nothing then attacked it from another angle ,bingo!!!.

Yeah the sheer logistics of coinshooting prevent any area from ever being completely hunted out. One would have to scoop up every square inch of soil in any given area and sift it to do that. Since the average coin found ( including rings ) from a quarter on down will fit inside one square inch - if you are hunting a 20' x 20' plot there are 57,600 square inches contained within that plot or 57,600 potential targets. So the logistics are staggering. If when scanning you miss a strip only one inch wide the length of the plot you have missed 240 potential targets. Even if you hunt that square north to south, east to west, and diagonally, you'll still miss a ton of potential targets.

Bill

Great find, I imagine you are liking the At Pro.
I really like how you explained this Uncle Willy. It really puts the 20x20 plot in perspective on potential targets.

J Cache- It was Pro Zero Mode, sens at max, ID jumped 85 to 90, Iron Disc 35, Depth said 10+ and they were all on the money (no pun intended). Repeatable high tone and ground balance 80. And the ground was very wet.
Yeah the possibility of hitting every space in any area is not possible-I went over this spot many, many times. I also have a large amount of metal in the yard, it's rare to go 2 or 3 feet without hearing something. The Pro helps to figure out what it is and hopefully will lead to more great finds.
NJGeoman-I'm a NJ Geo too. What part of the great state are you in?
Thanks again for looking-hope you enjoyed.