Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

went for a WALK in the park got 75c in goodies

pghmole

Went to my usual hunting grounds and was pleasantly surprised to find these guys trying to hide next to modern trash,the half was real iffy on my buddy's E trac at 8 inches but my Ctx was singing! My buddy got a 3 buffalo and 1 war nickel spill,H.H.,Mole

Nice finds...its amazing how many of those walking libertys come up...ive found 3 of them myself over the years...

Outstanding finds. That was a very nice stroll in the park.

doc holiday said:
The Walker is,next to the 20$ St G, the most beautiful coin.Shows the spirit of Old America.

Well, yes and no . . .

I can certainly agree that the Walker and $20 St. G. gold are two of the most beautiful coins this country has ever produced. Compared to the "hall of dead presidents" that some of us grew up with, these coins are without a doubt the epitome of artistry. However, at the time of their inception the Merc., SLQ and Walker half were considered radically artistic compared with the designs of "Old America", particularly the "oh-so-British" seated series which the public had grown quite bored of. (The Barbers were an attempt to break free of the old "flat" designs by emulating the Romanesque style popular on French coins of the day but it would be several generations before they were widely regarded as attractive.)

Unfortunately, there is no single year during which all the best designs were being produced. By the time the Merc., SLQ and Walker half were being produced the Indian cent had given way to the Lincoln (ugh). In spite of this, if I was to say there was a hey-day for artistic U.S. designs it would be from 1916 when the above designs were introduced to 1930 when the SLQ series ended. I have nothing against Lincoln, Jefferson or Washington as presidents, but them some ugly-ass coins right there!

YMMV!

-pete

Thanks guys! Walkers and standing liberty quarters are my favorite "modern silvers" but there is just something about seated coins that just does it for me! Haven't had any in 2 years though