Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went looking for gold and found big silver!

Larbear2

I went to one of the local high schools to try for some gold. Was not finding much at the softball field, just an occasional zincoln or clad dime, very little trash even. Then the F70 gave a soft audio signal, the vid was fluctuating in the high 80’s to the low 90’s. Gotta love spell check, that’s vdi, not vid. Down in the dirt 3-4 inches, finally got it out of the hole and it was in the last handful of dirt. Hello Big Ben franklin! Been a long time since I dug one of those!
Finished up with the softball field and moved onto an adjacent field, probably a practice field for football and/or soccer. Was finding some snaps, buckles from athletic apparel and tabs, foil, etc. And some clad.
Never did find the gold, gave it a good shot, dug lots of low conductors. Ended up with a decent amount of clad and the Ben Franklin half!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 274
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 309
Your story is very similar to mine but he was hiding under a bunch of clad quarters!!! Nice find.

I went to one of the local high schools to try for some gold. Was not finding much at the softball field, just an occasional zincoln or clad dime, very little trash even. Then the F70 gave a soft audio signal, the vid was fluctuating in the high 80’s to the low 90’s. Gotta love spell check, that’s vdi, not vid. Down in the dirt 3-4 inches, finally got it out of the hole and it was in the last handful of dirt. Hello Big Ben franklin! Been a long time since I dug one of those!
Finished up with the softball field and moved onto an adjacent field, probably a practice field for football and/or soccer. Was finding some snaps, buckles from athletic apparel and tabs, foil, etc. And some clad.
Never did find the gold, gave it a good shot, dug lots of low conductors. Ended up with a decent amount of clad and the Ben Franklin half!
Congrats on the Silver Half--That photo of your hunt looks so much like the ones I used to have --Pencil erasers & all & YES! Once in a while silver including a silver half! God surely blesses MD"ers now & then! Ma

Nice find! Those Ben's don't crop up all that often. Walkers far more common. Bet there is still a piece of gold in that field and you seem to have the patience for finding it. HH jim tn
Thanks jim tn: yes it seems that Walkers are found more frequently than the Ben’s. I will return to that field again sometime to try for the gold, low and slow might do the trick.

I would have loved to dig that heavy chunk of silver ! Congrats.

Just out of curiosity, did you raise the discrimination on your detector to knock out small foil ? My typical old school finds resemble yours but with a lot more bits of foil or can slaw.

I would have loved to dig that heavy chunk of silver ! Congrats.

Just out of curiosity, did you raise the discrimination on your detector to knock out small foil ? My typical old school finds resemble yours but with a lot more bits of foil or can slaw.
Hi dfmike, good to hear from you, thanks for the response. Yeah, it was a lot of fun and a big surprise to dig the Franklin half !

No, I don’t raise the discrimination to knock out small foil. I don’t want to miss the smaller gold so when I run my F70, my disc is in the 0-6 range, 3-4 usually. I let the tones and the fluctuations on the VDI influence my decision to dig low foil or not. If it is a good clear tone and the VDI does not fluctuate more than 2 or 3 numbers, I will probably dig, unless I am feeling lazy that day. I have 2 gold rings this year that gave a good tone and came in at a solid 23 on the F70. One of them I just dug yesterday. I will do a post on that later today or maybe tomorrrow.

If I am going to change settings on my detector, it will probably be the sensitivity setting, threshold, or tones. And then there is always the notch option. But i prefer low disc, dig more trash find more stuff.