Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went out to my coin garden with my V3i

Tony N (Michigan)

I went out to my coin garden with my V3i at lunch to test out the V3i some more.

I was in High Pro. The detector not only hit really good on my 9+ inch deep Lincoln copper but also on my 9+ inch deep dime.

Not only that, I was able to raise the coil three inches at least and it still gave a good hit on the coins. Not as good as scrubbing the ground but still a digable response!

None of my other detectors have been able to accomplish this. In fact, my other detectors struggle to hit the coins!

Thanks buddy! I appreciate the sentiment.
I still can't believe this. My Minelabs all struggled to hit those two coins. All my other detectors also could hardly hit them with a digable signal. Sure, the Minelabs hit them, but would I dig them in the wild not knowing what was down there?
I might out of curiosity. I do know I have dug very deep coins with my Minelabs. Maybe I'm not holding my tongue right?

Tony N (Michigan) said:
I went out to my coin garden with my V3i at lunch to test out the V3i some more.

I was in High Pro. The detector not only hit really good on my 9+ inch deep Lincoln copper but also on my 9+ inch deep dime.

Not only that, I was able to raise the coil three inches at least and it still gave a good hit on the coins. Not as good as scrubbing the ground but still a digable response!

None of my other detectors have been able to accomplish this. In fact, my other detectors struggle to hit the coins!

I have NEVER seen a 9" penny with either of the two V3i units I have owned, not even quarters at 9-10. My Etrac and Explorer SE Pro finds then but none with the headroom you seem to get with raising the coil. what soil condition do you have? I have never gotten good depth with any reasonable Vdi with the Whites V3i. You should keep that one you own. I think it is "special."

To clarify, my comparisons were in 3 frequency. I can run 2.5 frequency and get depth. Kinda defeats the purpose of owning a multi frequency machine to go away from 3-freq

5900_XL-1 said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

I have NEVER seen a 9" penny with either of the two V3i units I have owned, not even quarters at 9-10. My Etrac and Explorer SE Pro finds then but none with the headroom you seem to get with raising the coil. what soil condition do you have? I have never gotten good depth with any reasonable Vdi with the Whites V3i. You should keep that one you own. I think it is "special."

To clarify, my comparisons were in 3 frequency. I can run 2.5 frequency and get depth. Kinda defeats the purpose of owning a multi frequency machine to go away from 3-freq

Yea, I might have gotten my hands on a freaky good V3i. I don't know. The soil here, at least where the coin garden is, I would say it is medium soil. If I go 50 yards to the west, it can get to very hard clay type soil.
My Explorer SE Pro and Etrac could just barely hit them. Now I must say this, maybe if the coins were in the ground for 60 some years, the Minelabs might hit them harder? I don't know.
What state do you live in?

Running single frequency gets you a lot more depth. Like on the order of 30% more. The three frequency is great for jewelry or when hunting for shallower targets, but to get any really good depth, you need to run in single frequency. I use both single and 3 F depending on what type of hunting I'm doing. 2.5 crushes it on the real deep coins. 7.5 is almost as deep and quieter and more stable than 2.5, for me anyway. Basically I usually run in 3F unless I'm specifically looking for real deeptargets because the 3F information and screen are so useful.

In Spokane we have highly mineralized soil. I hit IHP's to 9" other day I hit a 1874 Seated dime at 9" in a trashy area. Sometimes the moisture helps. I use a V3i with the Detech 12x15 coil

Tony
woke up to 2 inches of snow covering my coin garden yesterday and I don't do snow so I guess all my testing will have to be in the basement for awhile
DFXDon

Read this thread with interest, for I own a bunch of White's machines, and Minelab's; and can so relate to garden tests etc.

The point I wish to make, is how each post was relevant, and offered differing views, subjectively. A rare thing in lots of forum posts.

Details make a difference.

The point being; I dislike posts that 'ask questions' but fail to detail the significant facts necessary for meaningful replies.

So well done guys. I hope all Americans appreciate what a great company they have in WHITES.

They are sincere in the advertised claims, and I have never seen any dubious adverts associated with their detectors.

"$-per-inch-of-depth", they are excellent value for money.

They are the finest detector for educating you on what's going on in your detecting experiences.

For my part, I use them not solely as detectors, but as 'laboratory equipment'....matt

My 3 v3i's have all been very deep on test targets in soil. But i have noticed you have to have them set just right and it is EXTREMELY easy to change one setting and make it where it will not hit a 6 inch coin.

Trashfinder said:
My 3 v3i's have all been very deep on test targets in soil. But i have noticed you have to have them set just right and it is EXTREMELY easy to change one setting and make it where it will not hit a 6 inch coin.

Can you be a little more specific?

Are you running 3 frequencies, ( and not playing with sensitivities, disc levels or ground filters?)....matt

p.s. You have to be specific as to which coin you're relating to at 6".

You can't simply generalize.......you must quote 'a dollar or a dime', etc.......size and conductivity matters

DFXDon said:
Tony
woke up to 2 inches of snow covering my coin garden yesterday and I don't do snow so I guess all my testing will have to be in the basement for awhile
DFXDon

Hi DFXDon!
Yea, we still have some snow here too but some in our club are still getting out detecting!

Is there much interference in your basement?

Wayfarer said:
Running single frequency gets you a lot more depth. Like on the order of 30% more. The three frequency is great for jewelry or when hunting for shallower targets, but to get any really good depth, you need to run in single frequency. I use both single and 3 F depending on what type of hunting I'm doing. 2.5 crushes it on the real deep coins. 7.5 is almost as deep and quieter and more stable than 2.5, for me anyway. Basically I usually run in 3F unless I'm specifically looking for real deeptargets because the 3F information and screen are so useful.

Yes, I too have found 2.5kHz to be deepest. I rarely detect in 7.5 but often in some places will do 3 freq. if I need a lot more information or the goods are just not that deep as would be needed for 2.5.

MackDog said:
In Spokane we have highly mineralized soil. I hit IHP's to 9" other day I hit a 1874 Seated dime at 9" in a trashy area. Sometimes the moisture helps. I use a V3i with the Detech 12x15 coil

MackDog, that's great you can get that deep even in highly mineralized soil. To get that deep do you hunt in 2.5kHz?

I'm curios if the 12x15 is as deep or more accurate than the 13" Ultimate coil?

Hey Tony, looks like you have a good detector. I have bought and sold, and traded a lot of detectors over the years. I have had 4 different explorers, 2 XS, and 2 SE explorers. The first XS I had was a monster on depth, I had to run the gain to max, but it was extremely deep. The second XS, I noticed I the gain didn't have any effect on depth, only signal volume, like it is supposed to be, but the machine did not get the super depth, my first XS did. But the machine was working fine, couldn't call it defective. My first explorer SE was the standard non Pro version, made in Ireland. Had the slimline coil, coil was sensitive to EMI, but I could lower the sensitivity to half and get still get great depth. I then bought the pro coil and could run the sensitivity up but was no deeper than the slimline with the Sensitivity lowered. My second SE was the Pro from malaysia, had the Pro coil. Detector worked fine, but it only had average depth, and falsed a lot on iron. I have had multiple versions of other detectors with the same stories. I wonder is that is one reason there is so many different opinions on models of detectors. When I got my Whites V3i, after the learning curve, I was pulling silver out as deep or deeper then the explorers I have had, Dimes for sure. Maybe not quarters. Sounds like your detector is a good one.

Deeper, covers more area and is sensitive. The coil will hit some small trash items at 5-6". I ALWAYS RUN 3 FREQ . I OWN BOTH THE u13 AND 12X15 BOTH ARE GREAT COILS. DO you run mix mode stereo? Also I don't discriminate out VDI's but assign a zero tone to them. Go super slow and let the detector separate the targets. Center the good tone in the middle of the coil. Analyze from different angles. If you get a good signal from multiple directions dg it. If it's deep 7" or deeper dig it. When a target gets to the end range of the coil it will break up a little and become iffy. If you don't e3ver want to dig trash get a different hobby. The more deeper signals you dig you'll start to get a gut feeling on what you feel is worth it.