Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went to the soccer fields with the 705

cal

and tried Gerry's go too gold ring settings. Their are 4 big fields so I decided to cover about a 5th of one of them. I did accept quarters but the only other coins accepted is the nickles.I found no gold rings, but did find 2 nickles,16 quarters,3 ring tabs,11 square tabs. I then went the park that connects with for just a short time and used pattern 1. Findings there were 22 pennies,.6 dimes,1 nickle,2 quarters, 1 chunky cheese token,1 small stainless steel chain link, and a zipper. My conclusion on the go to gold settings is that too many of my tabs run under and more over the 12 range. In other words they wouldn't disco of 12 no matter what frequency you used. Many of then would be shakey, but the scary part the nickels I dug were shakey too. After testing the nickles using the auto set frequency they would then blow your ears off, and when checked back with the frequency changed they would get shakey again. My conclusion so far is I like pattern 1. As far as tones on past detectors I like 1 or 3 tones, not so with this machine, Its 4 and 99. I love 99 for coins, It makes it easier to tell the difference between coins and pull tabs. I not sure I can tell the difference between rings and tabs though. The auto tracking is fine for some areas, my big problem was forgetting to turn it off when finding a target, I did get better at that. Anyway lot's to learn. HH

Sounds like a good start! :thumbup:
You don't need to turn Tracking off. That's a fallacy. Real targets don't disappear.
You'll get the most audio information running AM & 99 tones. It will also teach you proper sweep speed. :cheers:

Thanks for the information Longhair, I am really liking this machine.Thanks again. HH

Yes, I think part of the lure of getting another X-terra for me is I don't need to swing fast to get good TIDs. Slow and sure:detecting:

Sounds like you are doing well. Glad you are Liking it.

I went to a large soccer park for about a hour this afternoon and found clad coins ,but nothing in the jewelry dept. That will come I'm sure. I set the settings in all metal, 22 sensitivity,auto tracking and 99 tones. I believe this setting is going to work a lot of places for me, although I may have to bump up the sensitivity some. Most coins were 3 to 7 inches.I did dig some tabs and can slaw, but not in excess. Anyway your right on the swing speed, slow but steady works good. All suggestions are appreciated.

I've thought about that program,and like longhair said before,your gonna miss gold.I read a post from a well respected gold jewelry hunter on the racer forum,he runs all machines looking for jewlery. But he said he goes in a sports complex and digs every non ferrous hit he gets,regardless. And I've seen his posts of finds,unimaginable.

If non-ferrous is the only criteria, Prospecting Mode on a 705 would be the next best thing to a PI machine.

Hey Cal,

I just got my 70 from 7centsworth before Christmas and set it up for tot-lots (this is where I've found all but a couple of my gold rings) for Gold. I run pattern 3 with 3 tones and auto-tracking. If you hate digging tabs and beaver tails this pattern will drive you bazonkers. However, I dig everything over 4 and so far every beaver tail and tab I've dug tells me other detectorists ran their machines too hot on the discrim. I found an 18K gold crucifix on New Years day with the Minelab DD sniper coil (Love the target separation) and it locked in on that crucifix like no one's business. (Posted last week out here on the find) Hard 8 across the board, with a 90 degree turn to verify. The tabs jump from 6 to 10, but the beaver tails are more solid at 6, with minimal jumping if they're crunched. Regardless of the jumping, I always dig those signals.

I hope this helps and congrats on your finds!

Greg

When I had my previous X70, I found a man's white gold ring at a school playground and it rang in at an 8 and locked on as well. I agree that if you are digging pull tabs and beaver tails, most likely the previous hunters, if any, ran the disc too high. This is another reason I don't mind digging those pesky pull tabs and beaver tails. I know the rings will come eventually.:detecting:

Sgt. Silverman said:
Hey Cal,

I just got my 70 from 7centsworth before Christmas and set it up for tot-lots (this is where I've found all but a couple of my gold rings) for Gold. I run pattern 3 with 3 tones and auto-tracking. If you hate digging tabs and beaver tails this pattern will drive you bazonkers. However, I dig everything over 4 and so far every beaver tail and tab I've dug tells me other detectorists ran their machines too hot on the discrim. I found an 18K gold crucifix on New Years day with the Minelab DD sniper coil (Love the target separation) and it locked in on that crucifix like no one's business. (Posted last week out here on the find) Hard 8 across the board, with a 90 degree turn to verify. The tabs jump from 6 to 10, but the beaver tails are more solid at 6, with minimal jumping if they're crunched. Regardless of the jumping, I always dig those signals.

I hope this helps and congrats on your finds!

Greg
Thanks Greg for the information. My main plan for the tot lots is using a Tesoro Outlaw with a 6 inch coil set on low as it will go in discrimination which is small nails. The 705 has showed me something in the regular stock coil that the M6,6T,Vaquero,Gamma, and Omega didn't have. That is a cooler edge on the coil. So many detectors now days are so hot on the edge of the coil you can use a small coil, run it on lowest sensitivity setting and not get close to metal structure as I could with my old BH Land Star with a 8 inch coil. X-Terra seem to have that get close ability yet is probably the deepest metal detector mentioned. Certainly am considering a 6 inch DD in the future. Thanks again for your help.