Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wet Sand V4

TN Mike

Has anyone tried their v4 machine in wet sand yet? I was reading that there is new settings for beach and salt water and that the ground tracking had been improved.

Theres not much out there video wise. Mostly people from across the pond.. Some say its still chatty others say it does ok.. ..

I've used mine on a salt water beach.
This was early on in my knowledge of the settings with the Deus.
IIRC
Wet was out of the question.
Damp surf was doable but don't touch the sand and it was chatty.
Dry worked the same as dirt with a bit more chat.
I ran the Basic1 and Deus Fast.

Today I'm sure I would change a few settings, but as I don't get to the coast but once every few years I can't say what I would change or what would work. Sorry
I need to make the time and give the salt another try.
Found some great stuff in the Damp and Dry.

I should have a deus here in a couple days and was just wondering considering so many people say the At Pro and now the At Max are decently capable in wet and dry sand.. I just find it hard to believe they would do any better than the deus..

I hunt the So. California beaches. I've had my Deus for 2 years now and have recently upgraded to the 4.0 software. I haven't used the Deus at the beach since the up grade, but while using the 3.2 software at the beach I find the Deus to be very chatty in the wet sand. I did a test. I buried a 14K, size 9 mans gold ring weighing 9 grams, at approx. 5 inches in the wet sand. I did this test with a friend of mine who was using a Racer. The Deus picked up the ring at about 4 or 5 inches above the wet sand and the Racer at about 2 or 3 inches above the wet sand. The target sound was very definate and solid, but the accompanying chatter was hard on my ears. I got ear fatigue very quickly. I will use the Deus in the dry sand, but I use my CTX, ExCal or ATX in the wet sand or water. If I find or hear that the 4.0 software works well in wet sand or water, I'll give it another try.

I have been wondering the same thing I just bought a deus I know my Etrac is killer on the beaches I live one min from shoreline.
We are getting a good storm here in Ct this weekend and that's when I hit beaches well I'll have to try Deus.

TN Mike said:
I should have a deus here in a couple days and was just wondering considering so many people say the At Pro and now the At Max are decently capable in wet and dry sand.. I just find it hard to believe they would do any better than the deus..

They are full of it. There's no way a single frequency VLF is going to perform well in salt. It may have the adjustment range to make it not "chatty" but that doesn't mean it's going to be a good salt water detector. The performance will be severely crippled guaranteed.

The Deus will work in the wet sand...just not very well. What works for me is to think that maybe signals are always NOT...and real targets are very obvious.

I have not tried to optimize the signals in wet sand with V 4.0 so there may be some improvement.

A PI is my first choice on the wet sands

Joe

jadocs said:
TN Mike said:

They are full of it. There's no way a single frequency VLF is going to perform well in salt. It may have the adjustment range to make it not "chatty" but that doesn't mean it's going to be a good salt water detector. The performance will be severely crippled guaranteed.

You obviously aint used the Racer 2 in wet sand....absolutely awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY6R0SQ3Aac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPC61KTvkoA&t=4s

staffydog33 said:
jadocs said:
TN Mike said:

You obviously aint used the Racer 2 in wet sand....absolutely awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY6R0SQ3Aac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPC61KTvkoA&t=4s

I briefly scanned through the vids (I'm at work). Those videos didn't show me anything. As I mentioned above, settings can be tweaked to quiet down a detector, but that doesn't mean it will perform. How many targets did that guy walk over because his detector didn't pick it up? Was there someone with an Excal there to do a real test/comparison on performance...I didn't see that guy dig one target (maybe I missed it).

It was simply a quick video to show and prove to someone on another board that the Racer 2 is 100% quiet and does not false on wet sand, black sand or even underwater.

Gain was 85-90 in beach mode.

Matt