Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wet Sand

ML

As green as I am with this unit, I'm gonna try it at the beach in the wet sand. It's a beach that's loaded with iron with lots of goodies in between. My Minelabs do well there but with all the nulling and slow recovery that you have to deal with, I'm hoping that the quick processing of the AT Pro could sniff out some good stuff. Any hints from those who have hunted the wet sand as to as how I should set it up (GB, sens, iron, etc)? I can always tweek it as I go. Thanks

If it's salty, make sure you ground balance frequently if you move from wet to dry. I found out today that I need to manually ground balance when I get up high into the dry sand. The auto doesn't bring it up high enough on it's own. To give you an example, if I start in the dry sand it auto balances fine at about 24. But if I auto balance in the wet sand at 14, and then head back up to the dry sand, the auto balance only brings it back to about 16. The result of not being ground balanced makes my unit get very noisy and falsey, especially if a bump the sand.

My big revelation today was that I stripped off about 4 bars of sensitivity to counteract the extra noise from accidentally tapping the sand. My concern was that now I am hunting with a weaker prospective. But I tried an experiment. I burried a dime about 8 inches down, and started dropping the sensitivity. Even with one bar, I could still pick the dime up fine. But I had to make sure I was close to the surface. If I lifted the coil a couple inches off the ground I would loose the target with one or 2 bars showing. So I am not as concerned about turning my sensitivity down to quiet the accidental bumps.

Still no targets on the beach in Duck, NC. I thought the recent storm would loosen things up, but I only found a 1/2 penny....it was corroded and missing pieces. Frustrating. I need to find some new hunting spots.

That was my experience with the sensitivity also. Turning it down wasnt a big concern because it was still finding coins down to 8 to 10 inches. Course I turned it down because it was flat going TOOOO deep. Now, this was in dry sand. Havent used it in the wet yet. Just got it back from Garrett yesterday and didnt have alot of time today to test it. Just happy that the falsing probem is fixed.

Since I sent my AT Pro in for the fix , I don't have any problems anymore with the coil making noise when bumped .....No noise anymore when I put the coil down flat on the ground anymore either ......I'm wondering about the G.B. number you are getting in dry sand ....Mine is MUCH HIGHER !!..... My wet salt sand is similar , but the dry it way higher on mine ....I'm gonna do a post to see what G.B. numbers people are getting .....Thanks , Jim

synthnut said:
Since I sent my AT Pro in for the fix , I don't have any problems anymore with the coil making noise when bumped .....No noise anymore when I put the coil down flat on the ground anymore either ......I'm wondering about the G.B. number you are getting in dry sand ....Mine is MUCH HIGHER !!..... My wet salt sand is similar , but the dry it way higher on mine ....I'm gonna do a post to see what G.B. numbers people are getting .....Thanks , Jim

Hey Jim, I dont remember now offhand what I was getting, but will go out later today to do detecting at the beach and will post the G.B. number or numbers for you and location. Its all white sand and normally I dont get too high GB on the beach here. For some reason I am thinking around 27 or 28 in that range.

The AT_PRO works like a champ on wet sand with very quick recovery, very easy to ground balance also.
TRIPLE-SSS

T-SSS,
Depends on the sand !!....I have 2 saltwater beaches that I can hunt no problem .....Ground Balances fine !!.....One pesky beach won't Ground Balance to save my life ....I do a manual balance and it STILL doesn't sound right !!.....I tried it all , and the only salvation is a very low Sensitivity !!....Why bother ? .......Hey , 2 outa 3 ain't bad !!....Jim