Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

wet sand ????????

Thanks Randy, I'll get to work on that tomorrow. I did get to find a lost silver ring (hit a solid 44) for a young lady on my first outing with the 705.

Good job. Finding silver is always nice. Finding it on your first outing is extra nice. But finding a silver ring for someone that lost it.....that is even better! Nicely done. HH Randy

Hi, Scoopjohnb
If I set the 705 in the prospecting mode as you describe (Oct 3 12.23am)
Is the discrimination automatically preset at level 5........and then you use audio tones to discern the id of the target. ( Just to clarify).

I will probably get shot down for saying this but..............
The 705 is two "machines" in one,(a, "Coin and Treasure" and b, "Prospecting") Brilliant !.
The Minelab instruction manual and Digger's manual are both excellent !.
However they both incorporate instructions for the two "machines" at the same time
This, for beginners like me, is very confusing.....if you are studying the prospecting "machine" set up, you have to sort out which part of the manual is referring to that set up, and by the time you have found it .....you have lost the continuity of what you are trying to determine.
Two separate chapters would have been more desirable.
Thank goodness for the forums !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes,... factory preset in prospecting mode is 5.
It will remember if you've adjusted it up or down.

Stick with it Harry,... once you get familiar with the 705 it will be second nature.

Went to the beach yesterday to try out my X Terra 705, set up with 6" DD 18.75 MHz coil. (first time on the beach with 705)
Tried the prospecting mode........but it seemed that what ever adjustment to settings I made, the target response was horrendous, every time I move the coil just a few inches erratic various tones signalling that there were numerous targets under the coil...far too many to be true.
Being limited for time I changed the coil for my standard 10" DD 7.5 MHz coil......and set up in the coin and treasure mode....made the necessary setting adjustments and in discrimination mode 3 started to search ......tone response was very good low tone for iron, high tone for coins and good targets.
Found some decimal coins and also a Celtic patterned ring ( I think it is silver ) Gave it to my daughter when I got home, she had been looking after my wife whilst I had the day out.
Can't yet figure out why the 6" coil was so erratic.....unless it was because the black sand was only two inches below the red sand.........but it didn't have any effect on the 10" coil.......any ideas ?????

The 6" DD coil is much more a prospecting coil in design. It is a DD, but has certain traits you would contribute to a concentric.
The 10 " DD coil is a coin and ring coil, not as sensitive, but excellent depth on the targets you're after at the beach.

What the 6" was doing is actually reading the conductivity of the wet salt and minerals at that specific beach.
I 've had beaches it worked, had beaches it just goes MAD!!

Same with the 10" DD, it works at certain places, doesn't in others.

What matters is your result!!
Don't think the large coil will not see the tiny targets, you'll get targets even most pin pointers won't detect.
Whereas the 6" DD is so sensitive,... lets talk magnifying glass stuff.

You've discovered one of the great things about the X-terra. Switch a coil, switch detectors :)
And you've got a Bling collector in the house.

Thanks for that !!, its coming together nicely now.
So when you purchase a second, different coil, for the 705, you actually get another 705 doing a different thing.

Yes indeed and with a dedicated coil up to the job at hand.

It just needs figuring out what the job at hand is sometimes.
All it takes is a teabreak and a coil change.
A nice excuse for a couple of biscuits!!