Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What about a RETURN to The Hobby?

dahut

Some of you will recall my whining on about leaving the hobby, because the cops rousted me from the local high school. I swore that when I ran afoul of the local bullheads for the third time, I would hang up my detectors. And I did. It has been almost a year since I even looked at one.
But Ive been detecting for more than two decades, and it isn't so easily tossed aside. Now there is the Garrett AT Pro, a land-water machine with iron ID and tones... I get excited thinking about it. SO I hauled out one of my detectors and hit my own yard today.

It was nice. I didn't get the rush I used to get, but I fell back into it like putting on a favorite old hat. It was just a comfortable rhythm, remembered... like riding a bike or making love. I'm also pleased to say the finds were nothing to shout about. The usual crap one finds in a yard, really. It was a reminder that little has really changed - except me.

In honor of Uncle Willy, who has also made a resurgence debut lately, here are today's "dibby-dabs"...

[attachment 201843 IMAG0089.JPG]

So the camera is pretty crappy, huh? Not the best of pics, but you get the idea.

I did learn that my knees are not what they once were and I need some serious therapy on them. I'll be doing knee and joint exercises tomorrow...

Welcome back, Bill. This is for you, bud.

You can't compare metal detecting with making love. Detecting is way better. No cuddling with a detector after a silver find.

What really surprises me ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you found all that in your own yard???? lol it would be tough to even find a penny in mine,and I have 3 acres of yard. (not impossible though)

I believe anyone that does well detecting and does it for years will never really be able to quit,,especially ,,cold turkey. Without professional help. lol Take a break,,,yes,,but never quit!!

Just stay away from ANY place that the police could kick you out. Like your yard,,friends yards,,churches with permission,,ect....places that the police have zero say!!!!! Honestly I do it all the time,,but without reason other than not wanting to be bothered even by the thought of being asked to leave ,,,by anyone!!

flash5153 said:
What really surprises me ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you found all that in your own yard???? lol it would be tough to even find a penny in mine,and I have 3 acres of yard. (not impossible though)

I believe anyone that does well detecting and does it for years will never really be able to quit,,especially ,,cold turkey. Without professional help. lol Take a break,,,yes,,but never quit!!

Just stay away from ANY place that the police could kick you out. Like your yard,,friends yards,,churches with permission,,ect....places that the police have zero say!!!!! Honestly I do it all the time,,but without reason other than not wanting to be bothered even by the thought of being asked to leave ,,,by anyone!!
Actually, Im gonna make it a point to detect wherever there is no posted restrictions, starting with city and county parks. Im over being pissed about it. The cops are gonna become my best friends after this. I'm now interested in seeing if I can take it to the top.

khouse said:
You can't compare metal detecting with making love. Detecting is way better. No cuddling with a detector after a silver find.
And they stay out in the garage when you 'aint using them.

dahut said:
Actually, Im gonna make it a point to detect wherever there is no posted restrictions, starting with city and county parks. Im over being @#$%& about it. The cops are gonna become my best friends after this. I'm now interested in seeing if I can take it to the top.

Im not sure if that is a good thing or not. Although you may be OK,,,,,,there are few to no places posted against metal detecting. ( at least in my area)

And all the County parks around me,,require a metal detecting permit,,$10,, I don't mind at all!!! There's not a sign anywhere that states this,,,but if stopped and you don't have one,,,and didn't know,,they just want you stop detecting and go get one before you detect more. If they catch you again without one,,you will get a ticket.

Good luck taking it to the top,,,when dealing with police,, its a toss up what,,who your dealing with. But in my experience it has been fine.

Welcome back... I was away over 15 years... talk about forgetting what that "rush" was about...

After buying my first house with my wife, my detectors served mostly as door stops for me to occasionally see when going in and out of this one particular room in our house. I was smart at least and removed the batteries a long time ago so as not to be welcomed by encrused, bloated, leaky batteries and corroded blue metal all in the battery holders. I had a Coin Commander 2 with all the accessories bought in 1985 new with the boatload of silver I sold during the rush at the time. Later I bought a used GTA 500 and then a GTAx 550 slightly used after it first came out. I dabbled a little, but being married, playing house and working full time kind of took priority and I only had a few outings during the first few years living there, and only a few outings over the past 15 years.

I'm not sure what prompted me to get back into the hobby several months ago. I guess in part it was seeing the price of scrap coins. Silver dimes which sold for $2 each at the time I bought my Coin Commander 2 were now going for $3.75 each on eBay. I've been struggling financially and figured I could break out the detectors again and start raking in more silver. The other reason was, I needed to find an outside activity for my own mental "therapy." I quickly discovered two things.

1. Silver ain't as easy to get as it used to be
2. I've spent too many years in front of the computer and wasn't quite as agile as I used to be.

After the first couple-hour outing, my knees were killing me, My legs were really killing me, my back wasn't used to holding a detector and that "rush" that I remembered every time I used to go out had faded... the areas I was hunting in had been well hunted over the past 15-20 years since I used to hit those places. Things are deeper now, and while there are fewer pull tabs, apparently it's now in the city and county parks manual to leave aluminum cans in the grass and run over them with the lawnmower several times when they do their lawn maintenance. And oh, I discovered one more thing...

3. Pennies decay now...at least those made since what, 1982 or something? 83? I don't remember. But when I stopped detecting in the late 80s, those zinc pennies hadn't started to decay in the ground yet...at least that I can recall ever finding.

I've since sold those old detectors and now have an AT Pro and a GTI-2000 which I'm working on converting somehow to a new GTI 1500 that's lighter even if it's only by half a pound. These new detectors have a lot of stuff to learn about and are extremely sensitive...oh which brings me to one MORE, one more thing...

4. My Bowie knife that I used faithfully for 15 years to dig with was now way too small and short to effectively dig a good number of these things I was finding with the newer detectors. I just retired it and replaced it with a Lesche tool, thanks to the suggestion of the folks here in these forums.

It's taken an adjustment to remember what I loved about the hobby back then. It wasn't so much about the finds as it was mostly about just being outside, getting fresh air, exercise and occasionally finding a hunting buddy or meeting someone else to chat with before, during and after a hunt. Nothing like hitting a restaurant in semi-grubby clothes after a hunt comparing finds and talking about cool places to go in the future. The finds of course, are rush-worthy, but I think these days it's less about the rush and more about the fine experience of doing something I really enjoy doing.

My choice on the AT Pro was admittedly influenced by the constant photos of gold rings people are posting. I know those are the exceptions and not the rules for most hunts, but the thought of water hunting, especially living in Florida intrigues me, so I opted for the AT Pro. It just so happens that my wheeling and dealing is allowing me to also get a GTI model of some kind. I just like the balance and design of those machines.. they are solid, and after running with my GTI 2000 for a while, I have to say I'm digging (no pun intended) the "size" measurement of the GTI series, in addition to the depth and conductivity measurements. Also, while it's really too early for me to make a determination, my early thought is I don't particularly like how you have to pinpoint with the DD coil that's on the AT Pro. Some habits are hard to break.

Anyway, sorry to ramble... Just wanted to say welcome back to the hobby... I enjoy your posts, Dahut, and your insight on 'coinage'.

- Muddyshoes

flash5153 said:
dahut said:
Actually, Im gonna make it a point to detect wherever there is no posted restrictions, starting with city and county parks. Im over being @#$%& about it. The cops are gonna become my best friends after this. I'm now interested in seeing if I can take it to the top.

Im not sure if that is a good thing or not. Although you may be OK,,,,,,there are few to no places posted against metal detecting. ( at least in my area)

And all the County parks around me,,require a metal detecting permit,,$10,, I don't mind at all!!! There's not a sign anywhere that states this,,,but if stopped and you don't have one,,,and didn't know,,they just want you stop detecting and go get one before you detect more. If they catch you again without one,,you will get a ticket.

Good luck taking it to the top,,,when dealing with police,, its a toss up what,,who your dealing with. But in my experience it has been fine.
If told to leave, then I leave. They have the gun, after all....
Permits grate on my nerves like a hole in my sock. But I have to suck it up - thats probably all that will save this hobby in our fearful, litigious age. The fact that I already pay taxes to enjoy the parks only makes it worse....
But I'll find out as the year progresses and begin to meet some of the movers and shakers, if it comes to that.

Its alright, bud. I like it when you ramble.
And silver is hard to come by these days. The old times are passed, now.

dahut said:
Permits grate on my nerves like a hole in my sock. But I have to suck it up - thats probably all that will save this hobby in our fearful, litigious age. The fact that I already pay taxes to enjoy the parks only makes it worse....
But I'll find out as the year progresses and begin to meet some of the movers and shakers, if it comes to that.

I didn't like the idea of a permit when I first found out about it. And of course that was from a DNR officer asking me if I had one,,,when I didn't have a clue about it! :yikes: (years ago)

But I must say,, I think it's a great idea now. It takes away the thoughts while detecting of whether you should be there,,,,or " is someone going to ask me to leave"? That's all gone and after awhile the Officers get to know your vehicle and every now and again will stop in to BS. It's a great thing I say.lol Only County parks though,,,not City parks in the county. But still it covers a large area with at least 20 different parks.

And if you think about it,,,$10 for a detecting permit,,yearly is not bad at all. As far as already paying taxes,,,,well your right ,,but,, so do the people that have to pay to launch their boat at these parks,,a few parks also offer snowmobiling and horseback riding with a small fee.

I think the permit is a great idea.

I'm not sure what prompted me to get back into the hobby several months ago. I guess in part it was seeing the price of scrap coins. Silver dimes which sold for $2 each at the time I bought my Coin Commander 2 were now going for $3.75 each on eBay. I've been struggling financially and figured I could break out the detectors again and start raking in more silver. The other reason was, I needed to find an outside activity for my own mental "therapy." I quickly discovered two things.

1. Silver ain't as easy to get as it used to be

This is something mentioned of late, in no small part by me. The easy silver was scooped up back when you were new at his hobby with your Compass models. This is something that isn

It's good to see you get back on the horse Dave. I don't know how much you travel, but if you do, then hunting outside your area may well provide trouble free detecting.Hopefully you'll be able to hunt close to home without being interfered with. Is it possible that the hunts that you got harassed, may have been triggered by some busy body who doesn't have a life. If that's the case, then avoiding the area, where you suspect that that occurred and allow you to enjoy the hobby hassle free.
Mick Evans.

Mick in Dubbo said:
It's good to see you get back on the horse Dave. I don't know how much you travel, but if you do, then hunting outside your area may well provide trouble free detecting.Hopefully you'll be able to hunt close to home without being interfered with. Is it possible that the hunts that you got harassed, may have been triggered by some busy body who doesn't have a life. If that's the case, then avoiding the area, where you suspect that that occurred and allow you to enjoy the hobby hassle free.
Mick Evans.
Mick, I am certain it was a busybody that set the stage for the Final Encounter - the cop told me so.
This is the Age of The Concerned CItizen, each of which has a cell phone. It used to be people didnt care what you did. Now they have to give you their permission. So it goes in the Global Groupmind.

I "got out" 20 years ago because of a similar thing, I figured I could get my son interested in the hobby if we detected together. I got permission to detect the elementary school that he attended,
We found some good coins and we were having a great time. We filled in the holes and happily went on our way. The next day he was called into the Administrators office and was told we could no
longer detect school property. Some noisy neighbors decided to "CHECK OUT WHAT WE WERE DOING" and dug up the holes after we left. My son lost interest in detecting and after I received a
call from the school, I lost interest also. It took a year or so to get back into it and I still enjoy "the hunt" today. It took only 20 years for my son to start detecting, now he's my hunting buddy!
I live in a small town in Wisconsin and sometimes I think people are just paranoid. I ask permission,share the history and sometimes the goodies! Don't let the Bozo's bring you down again,
remember that "First good find" and the thrill it brought you? Buddy, I still feel it today! Good Hunting. C-Dog

A good part of this hobby is public relations and educating the public.

Trust me, I know what it's like when you're having a good day and the last thing you want is to be interrupted by someone who has to tell you his life story as you watch the sun go down knowing you only have a half hour of daylight left on this magical day. Many people are curious and watch, kids especially as they walk past. Others simply ask, "you finding anything?" to which I respond with my usual, "lots of pulltabs and aluminum foil, just doing my part to clean up the park." Still there are the busybodies who haven't gotten their quota of complaining done for the day and decide to take it out on you.

Sadly, with all the "fear" in our society today, any area associated with kids is a potential problem area. Especially tot lots. If I see young children at a tot lot with their parents and I really want to hit that area, I'll approach the parents and ask if they would mind if I used my metal detector around the area, especially if it's a fenced in place. It show respect for the parents, allows you to break the ice so they can see you aren't some crazy person and it gives you a chance to see the "concern" factor of the parents. If there's any hesitancy, I say, "It's ok thank you, I'll come back some other time.."

They may not remember your politeness after they leave with their children, but they'll certainly remember any "creepiness" they feel from seeing a grown man digging holes around their children.

- Muddyshoes

Muddyshoes said:
A good part of this hobby is public relations and educating the public.

Trust me, I know what it's like when you're having a good day and the last thing you want is to be interrupted by someone who has to tell you his life story as you watch the sun go down knowing you only have a half hour of daylight left on this magical day. Many people are curious and watch, kids especially as they walk past. Others simply ask, "you finding anything?" to which I respond with my usual, "lots of pulltabs and aluminum foil, just doing my part to clean up the park." Still there are the busybodies who haven't gotten their quota of complaining done for the day and decide to take it out on you.

Sadly, with all the "fear" in our society today, any area associated with kids is a potential problem area. Especially tot lots. If I see young children at a tot lot with their parents and I really want to hit that area, I'll approach the parents and ask if they would mind if I used my metal detector around the area, especially if it's a fenced in place. It show respect for the parents, allows you to break the ice so they can see you aren't some crazy person and it gives you a chance to see the "concern" factor of the parents. If there's any hesitancy, I say, "It's ok thank you, I'll come back some other time.."

They may not remember your politeness after they leave with their children, but they'll certainly remember any "creepiness" they feel from seeing a grown man digging holes around their children.

- Muddyshoes
This is a good approach, Shoes. I have never been big on pre-emptive public relations - I reckon, "I know I'm not a weirdo, so mind your own business."
But this is a different time - the GroupMind, and all that stuff the writers of old warned us about.

So I think such as yours is a great notion.