Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What advantages to a 10.5 in. coil?

A

Anonymous

Guys,
I ordered a 10.5 in. coil for my 3D. I know I can cover a little more ground with it and it may? give me a little more depth. Other than that, what advantages are there to it and what are the best types of places to use it over the 8" coil? <span style="background-color:#ffff00;">Will it work better around a lot of iron?</span>
thanks,
Dave

Beaches, large fields and areas where you want more coverage as it really increases coverage. Do expect a little more depth and seems to like coins on edge better..Pinpoints quite well for a larger coil but the hot spot for pinpointing is just above dead center as its configuration differs from the stock 8.
No will not work better around iron, but you might want to try the 5 inch hockey puck around lots of iron mineralization. Big disandvantage of coure is the weight, but many can just handle it or hipmount to help..

I agree with Dan. Use a 5" for better handling in iron. I used it on my cz70 last weekend in a rather trashy park and found heaps up to 6"+ inches deep. You will take longer to cover the equivalent ground but it is surprising to see how stable and deep it is in even the most trashy locations.
I like using the 10.5" at mostly the beach but it gets rather tiresome in a trashy location although some ppl use it with low sensitivity to great effect. I figure the 5" stays more stable even at high sensitivity (I was operating at 10 with no falsing whatsoever) and punches deep for its size.
Hehehe tho I think you can develop a complex about the 5" since it is soooo small compared to the 10.5"...ya know it just looks soooo small and cute. :>
Brissietex

I use the 10.5 almost exclusively on my 70Pro... fantastic piece of equipment, many good finds! The narrower inner coil seems to help separate targets too. As for weight, I'm 69, retired, great health, and don't find the weight a problem at all - and I'm swinging that thing every day I can get out - which is nearly every day here in the South. In short, I'm nuts over this hobby! Love my 70Pro and have no plans to swap for anything.
One clue: ask your self if you really need that coil cover? I do without it. Chuck Clevenger talked me out of it and I agreed when I realized that my pinpointer takes at least 5 times the abuse of the coil and it's still going strong. Save weight wherever you can.
HH, Jim

i've used coils with nad without the coil cover. the only one i've wore out is the 10.5 on my cz-5. i can still use it if the grounds not wet. i've found no disadvantage to using a coil cover. i have wore out a lot of them so they may have saved a coil in the long run.

What a coil cover weighs?????, but whatever works...
Depends on your swing and of course rocky soil will indeed do a job on the cover..or of course your coil without the cover..Glad your going strong at 69...at 66 still going but my days are shorter...Chuck indeed was never a coil cover type guy...

you must find a lot more than i do. i don't use a pinpointer but have had times i needed one. i don't believe one would get as much wear as all that swinging i do between signals sometimes.

...jus' don't want anyone to miss good stuff because they thought the bigger coil might be too heavy for them.. have a good day,
Flyguy

The 10.5" will work better around iron if you are looking for iron. Other than that, it will just plain work deeper. I do believe in the 10.5", it maintains the great target separation of the 8" coil for the most part.
If you're not looking for real great depth and you're in an iron-rich neighborhood, stick to the stock coil. But if you are finding coins at the limit of your 8" coils depth and believe there are more deeper, then go ahead and throw in with the 10.5" coil, you'll be rewarded for it!