Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What are property marker made of

Armybrat62

I have goldbug pro and minelab equinox 600 I'm going to try them both what setting would be best to try on either detector

The one I had to find for my buddy is made out of iron. All-metal is needed on the equinox. Good luck

Most I have found are large rebar (Iron) 3/4-inch diameter. The problem with all metal is if the site is iron infested how do you separate the rebar from other clutter. I was one such site and had to resort to prospecting mode to hear larger response from the rebar. Prospecting is one tone, but you can hear a "size" difference. hope that helps.
HH Jeff

Most I have found are large rebar (Iron) 3/4-inch diameter. The problem with all metal is if the site is iron infested how do you separate the rebar from other clutter. I was one such site and had to resort to prospecting mode to hear larger response from the rebar. Prospecting is one tone, but you can hear a "size" difference. hope that helps.
HH Jeff
Thanks

Also take into account that if you are looking for them at a city lot and there has been work done out by the sidewalks in front…the stakes might not even be there, some get pulled up when changes are made to the curb strip area. And as others have noted…no discrimination.👍

I have goldbug pro and minelab equinox 600 I'm going to try them both what setting would be best to try on either detector
I have found a few for people over the years… like the others stated, I have seen rebar and steel pipes… i have even seen axels used.
It helps if you have a good idea where it may be.
I have found them with beep dig and VID detectors.
If you get a signal and start digging, look for fragments of surveyors tape.

Steel pipe on my current property. Have helped people find rebar markers. I normally grab one of the beep and dig detectors to look for corner markers and set discriminator to just click on small iron; that lets the big iron like the rebar and pipe sound through clear.

Depends on the age of the markers you are looking for too. There is a pointed oak stake on one corner here that was placed 1880s, the point was charred and driven some 15-18” deep. I’ve also seen the old style T-posts driven down. Most recently as noted 5/8 to 3/4” rebar but now with aluminum caps pressure smashed on. Best locate for me so far was the brass USGS cap that got tore up by accident, not only found the cap but the 1.5” pipe that was still in the ground.
Go to the county courthouse and see if the county surveyor is in. County maintains records clear back in time, you may have to learn about chains and rods as measurements but it is pretty damn close to being GPS challengeable!!!!
Including a couple pics of the newer style caps, just what we need… looking for an aluminum bottle cap!!!! (Also now are hard plastic caps, usually yellow)

Attachments

• 8C115ACC-FB29-4071-961C-D75494115C56.jpeg
    8C115ACC-FB29-4071-961C-D75494115C56.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 129
  • BFF3D892-C85D-4C57-A51A-48CF455826C1.jpeg
    BFF3D892-C85D-4C57-A51A-48CF455826C1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
  • 687786AE-B8F2-4035-BE03-6F43052CB576.jpeg
    687786AE-B8F2-4035-BE03-6F43052CB576.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 132
Turn the sensitivity down and swing about six inches above the ground.Look for strong signals,probe with a large screwdriver…

To my knowledge, most if not all are steel (1/2" or 3/4" rebar).

In my area, S.E. Ga., mostly rebar or steel rods but some are square concrete posts about 4"x 4" with some impressed letters and numbers. No idea what the info says.

Depends on the age of the markers you are looking for too. There is a pointed oak stake on one corner here that was placed 1880s, the point was charred and driven some 15-18” deep. I’ve also seen the old style T-posts driven down. Most recently as noted 5/8 to 3/4” rebar but now with aluminum caps pressure smashed on. Best locate for me so far was the brass USGS cap that got tore up by accident, not only found the cap but the 1.5” pipe that was still in the ground.
Go to the county courthouse and see if the county surveyor is in. County maintains records clear back in time, you may have to learn about chains and rods as measurements but it is pretty damn close to being GPS challengeable!!!!
Including a couple pics of the newer style caps, just what we need… looking for an aluminum bottle cap!!!! (Also now are hard plastic caps, usually yellow)
Love all the info thanks

I have seen many different types, rebar flat to the ground and sticking out the ground, with or without plastic caps. Cement with nails in them with a brass plate with the surveyors information. Pipes with a cap with the surveyors name stamped in. I was tasked with locating a set for a neighbor one time, and i swear i would rather dig bottle caps lol. He had no clue where they were except in a general 100ft circle. It took me a few hours, i searched in all metal mode and had to go through so much junk, but i eventually found 3 out of the 4. It happened to be rebar with a plastic cap with a surveyors mark on it.

My one line was just done new neighbor quite a nice fellow best person I have ever met.we will be good neighbors. It was done with half inch rebar. Right on line with the old markers. They are spaced out a little different but the line is the same.