Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What are these people doing wrong?

Charlie P. (NY)

I don't know why I let this bother me . . . but it does. Below are two F-75 reviews from a site that allows such things. I worry that a.) there are users having a hard time and are dissatisfled, or b.) there are those that just post bad press for mischevious or spiteful reasons.

Could we have helped these two here?

Not a good coin hunter So many rave reviews. but not what i thought it would be. This thing is supposed to be working in the iron, but I don't see it. Static noise, crazy jumping display. I could not pull one decent target out of my stand by spots. Dug lots of iron + alum can slaw not one high tone until I switched to another detector.

Some guys on the forums say this is the best detector out there, I wont use his real name [xxx xxxx] must be paid by first texas or something, because this thing is not so good. Demo this machine before buying. In an area with some modern trash. Relic hunters seem to do better with this one. Not what one would want in a park. One thing I have noticed alot of 75s and t-2s for sale, so its not just me.

No high tones? Dug lots of iron??? I'd pay $1 to see how this fellow had set up his detector. I have been able to uber-discriminate with mine and dig no trash, but at a cost of potential depth. Better to see and hear the trash, and rule it out "manually", and concentrate on the high tones and solid TID readings. I'd recommend he try the bottlecap mode on 3F and not dig anything that hopped more than three TID clicks in a sweep.

stinker lots of noise. likes bottle caps.seems very fragile especially thin plastic faceplate cover. and power supply box for batteries under cuff. this really takes away from its looks also should be inside control box like xterra. also it was so hyped up that i was expecting super depth that it did not seem to have. but this is only the new fishers. first machine.if they work on it maybe in a couple years they will have somthing. not the worst detector i have used but far from great.

OK - so this guy is too lazy to use capitalization and that is probably a sign of something. Sure, lots of noise. Maybe he didn't read/receive/comprehend the sheet that says READ THIS FIRST that came with my F-75. Are these guys cranking the sensitivity and trying indoor air tests? I suppose the bezel is thin, but what exactly is going to be done to it that a thinner and heavier one would help? Go to Office Max and get a transparent PalmPilot screen protector overlay if you're worried.

He thinks the F-75 likes bottle caps? He should try my Musketeer Adv. The F-75 winks at them but tells you with the TID. Don't like steel bottle caps? Don't dig 34 to 45 readings. Might cost you a ring, though. Aluminum screw caps? I'm actually surprised I don't dig more than I do. I know the park I hunt is loaded, but by sticking with the narrow TID or no dig rule I haven't dug more than 5 for the 180+/- coins I've dug in the five weeks I've had my F-75. On certain days I dig everything, and thus learn to trust the TID more and more.

There. I feel better.

Hello Charlie!
Seems someone is always out to spoil the party! :)

No matter the detector; there are those of us that derive pleasure in finding shortcomings. I like to think my own criticisms are warranted but realize we all see things differently. I can only hope I like my new F75 as much as you do. I'm on my way out right now to give it a "1st" go; can't wait until tomorrow! :)

GRB

IMHO, nobody should post a "review" of the F75 (or any detector) until they've drained their first set of batteries with it. Given the F75's thrifty use of juice, that will be long enough to really have some time at the stick.

As far as parks (and schools), I was impressed with how little trash I was digging for the amount of clad I was finding. I didn't really think about it until I emptied my pouch. I take the clad and put it in a plastic coke bottle with a slot cut in it, and then I dump the trash in a box I keep for it. I had a pouch full of clad and just a tiny bit of trash!

Oh well, look at it this way: anyone discouraged from getting an F75 means more deep goodies in the trash for us!

Chin up,
Wally

[size=medium]I don't know why I let this bother me . . . but it does.[/size]

Charlie, join the club.

You may have noticed that I am more intolerant of late with some posters. I derive no pleasure from being so. I only hope that maybe they will spend a little more time learning the what, why and wherefores of the hobby before they expose their lack of comprehension.

All the detectors that I have owned (not too many,) had their strengths and shortcomings. I think a reasonable definition of a good detectorist, is someone who recognises his machines limitations and exploits its virtues. I don't totally reject an individual's critical assessments of say the F75 or T2, but does he ever wonder why his experiences are contradictory to the average unsolicited body of satisfied users? I doubt it. No detector is 'perfect', and the more we push for speed,sensitivity and separation, then we must also learn what are the possible consequences in an 'unfriendly' environment.

It beggars belief that so many detectorists think that the aim of the game is to use maximum sensitivity and then expect a Utopian experience detecting.

In the days before computers and the WWW, we had to learn the hobby the right way....by going out there and discover the realities and limitations of what a metal detector can, and cannot do.

30 years ago, our club had to donate a mornings work cleaning the park in exchange for the right to detect in it, for the afternoon!

So with our technologically limited machines we simply enjoyed the pain and the pleasures of drifting thresholds and relatively poor sensitivities.

No visual ID or icons, only iron or non-iron visual or audio assist.

Hell, it was fun. Now we have some superb units, which if used sensibly, can provide hours of stimulating challenges.
The T2 and F75 are up there with the best.

Detecting should be physically stimulating and mentally both intriguing and educational. It is the most inoffensive and contributive to society, of ALL the hobbies.

That authorities prohibit it for weired convoluted reasons, makes me wonder what they do for relaxation? Metal detecting during the last 20 years, has provided more historical revelations here in the UK, than any other unpaid body of ordinary citizens.

Charlie, maybe we're getting old and too sensitive, but I to think that there are mischief makers out there.

I say they are apparent by the typical rantings you refer to.

I don't mind a good old fashioned bit of 'loyalty' banter, but all I can say is that obviously negative posts contribute nothing educational or informative, except for one thing, and that's encapsulated in a phrase used on this side of the pond to describe such zeros as...."The dick on the end of the stick".

Oops.....here come a red card from the Governor

1. It is easy to mis-adjust the F75 by using DE mode and disc lower than 5 or higher than 19 or start out in JE mode in areas where interference sources are present. If a new user of the F75 doesn't know what mode to use when he could end up with some problems (chatter).

2. We all wanted power and the F75 has more than some can handle. It is easy to overdrive the F75.

3. No detector is perfect. Features liked by some may not be liked by others...to each his own.

Visit: www.fisherf75.com for help on the F75.

Andy,NM

Well, detectors are getting better and better and with that comes more power and sensitivity. I am afraid people are just getting spoiled and have the impression that the detector should only find gold and silver and never any junk. The sad fact remains that if you want to find gold rings you will dig junk.
When I first started detecting in the early 60's if the machine beeped I dug. Yes, I found mountains of trash but I also found a lot of good stuff. Granted that was in the days before pull tabs blanketed the ground but there was still steel bottle caps and other assorted trash.The idea was to go metal detecting and that meant digging metal- didn't matter if it was trash or treasure it was fun and that is the way it still should be.If it beeps-DIG IT

If you look close the bad posts are from the same guy in Florida who says he lives in 2 different towns:punch: Obviously he's playing games, & probably a shill from another brand.
Since this web site allows fake names & multiple posting like that, this kinda stuff happens all the time there. This is why you should take every post there with a grain of salt....
(or stick to reading just this one):lol:
Bill