Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What Are Your Ideal F70 GB Numbers?

IBdiggin

I just curious as to what some of you consider ideal ground balance numbers with the F70. In ideal soil that is. Also do the numbers change between the elliptical coil and DD coil in the same soil?

There is no common factor here. This Wi. River valley has lots of locations with imported topsoil from many different areas. My balance numbers can vary from 60 to 85. I am in the market for a DD coil and I would like to take this factor into consideration when adding to my coil arsenal. I have the 10" elliptical now.------------Thanks and HH------IB

Yeah, lots of different soils throughout a general hunting area...the ONLY time I GB is in this one particular field, high 70's, like 78 I seem to remember...nice deep loam, old silver there, generally 8" deep, and I've got a lot of it out of there...the rest of my spots, totllots, beach, parks/scrapyards...I never GB...on my recently completed Southern run, I did not GB at all...'course, i'm hunting surface to 5" targets, with the low sens...so I dont think it matters as much as if a person was hunting clean ground for deeper older stuff.....as a guy hunts a place where the soil is changing, a guy gets the feel of it and the ever changing soil conditions and then can determine if its necessary...at least thats what I tell myself!

Its probably a good idea to GB often when hunting a big area with ever changing soils/moisture...sure couldn't hurt, but for some reason I just dont do it. I know what the machine is saying in that particular spot...the tone, age and depth of targets start to change for instance...for me, coil control/speed and concentration on what the ground/targets are saying is more important...from a time management standpoint, even though GB only takes maybe 20sec. start adding that up and a guy can get an extra day per year by not fooling with it...

Full disclosure, if anybody is running the F70 incorrectly, its ME,:rofl: then again, I'm not hunting deep targets...just clad and gold/silver jewelry, and trying to bang out as many targets in as short a time as possible..so that should be an encouragement to you all that do proper set ups and pay attention!:rofl: And a testimony to the F70s forgiveness afield.. I get a high but soft peep, its generally silver past 5"...if I hop coil with no feedback, I run up the sens, hop coil again, and have to whip out my knife to go after it...

Dont know if this helps dude, I am interested in someday hunting with somebody that knows what they are doing and can show me a few things..hopefully your question will engender a great amount of info today...since the dang ground froze again overnight and its snowing..:sadwalk:.
Mud

I consider my soil better than good, anything would be better than that hot, mineralized iron laden mess I hunted back in Bama, but here in Kansas I think I lucked out.
I GB from the mid 40's to maybe the low 60's but more often than not somewhere in the 40's to 50's is where I end up.
Usually at most I get one bar on the dirt meter, lots of times I don't even get that.

With limited use using the standard elliptical the deepest I have dug a target so far has been 10".
I believe sense on 80 in DE and thresh somewhere around 0, extremely heavy EMI in this area also, more than normal.
That target gave me a few numbers on the screen a couple of times when passing the coil over it, the wrong numbers that were way too high, but most of the time there was absolutely nothing on the screen at all in most other passes...nothing, like the F70 wasn't going to even hazard a guess which is normal on targets at the extreme limit of the scanning field using any coil recalling information I have read.
There was a solid, distinct, repeatable tone on each and every pass from a couple of different directions, however, which is what triggered me to actually get down and dig it, I was so curious.
Thrilled that there was an actual target that was sitting at that 10" depth, even though it was just a beaver tail tab.

I have used 3 different coils on the F70 including a sniper and the VDI numbers have not appeared to change in the slightest between them.
A quarter is a quarter, most dimes are the same and also zinc cents and so on.

Switching to the F75 11" DD coil on other hunts in this same area where I dug that 10" beaver tail targets were actually coming in at that level and deeper with screen info on every one this time, but I didn't dig those at the time because at that point the soil was frozen too much.
Further into the middle of this same park, away from a lot of that EMI interference, I acquired and dug a target at the 14-15" level with maxed out settings but still in disc.
Tones again were solid and repeatable from several directions and there was screen info on every pass and the exact right depth reading when I hit the button, and although the VDI numbers were a bit jumpy the predominate ones were within a 3 number range that the target tested at when I finally extracted it from that deep region.

I am not sure but I would not think there would be any difference in the soil reading and GB numbers between different coils, or not much anyway.
The soil is the soil is the soil.
Maybe the DD coils could be a bit different in some different and higher levels of mineralization because they can deal with and see though that soil type a little better than the concentrics, but in my soil they all appear to be equal.

Thanks guys. 11" it is then. I'll get a sniper or a 5"x8" DD for the backup. ---------------IB

Big hopes for you this year IB.:thumbup:..I think you are going to be one to watch.:beers:...that danged old REVIER is going to come n handy for us all regarding set-ups and whatnot too!...Now, if this snow will stop falling so we can play some catch up ball in the dirt, well, that would truly be a blessing! I watched a vid Russ Balbirona did on the F70 on youtube over the weekend...thanks for the tip.
Mud .