Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What can a GPS do for Metal Detecting

To add to what Andrew has said. I have a Garmin Legend and it does loose it's lock easy under dense forest coverage. Overall it has served me very well. I don't know if I would get caught up in being able to upload your old maps into the unit you are looking at. I use OziExplorer to mark the sites I want to check out as a waypoint. Personally I use a prefix for each 'catagory'. Like an old school named Valley school would be named svalley. A park named valley park would be pvalley. I do that mainly because of the limited amount of characters allowed in my GPS unit per waypoint. The only reason I might recommend a GPS that can accept uploads or MAPS is that you could upload maps and it could help you orient yourself in unfamiliar areas. My Legend has the main routes (included with unit) in it which do help you orient yourself. MapSource is an extra cost above the GPS unit and will cost you $60-80 on an auction site ;) and $90-120 or so retail depending on the package you are looking at. Are you going to be look for sites from a car or walking ... or both??? I am asking because I use my GPS hooked to my laptop thru a NMEA protocol connection (internal to the GPS unit). Using this protocol I can use OziExplorer with old maps loaded and drive around in areas that I have the maps calibrated. It's pretty cool. I can also connect to other software and do the same thing. I also walk and use waypoint to find those sites.

-Bill

Bill,
I'm in Minnesota, and hence, we have lots of trees. Not sure how thick of tree canopy you're talking about to cause a lock? When your unit locks up in the forest, does it automatically start reading correctly when you get to an opening, or do you have to do some re-programing?
Otherwise, the eTrex Legend sounds like it would do what I want.
I don't have a laptop computer (gee, now I have a reason though) so I really hadn't though about using a GPS while driving around. Most likely would mark a waypoint before-hand on a dirt road, drive there, and head out in the woods to my next waypoint, which might be an old homestead or turn of the century logging camp, get my metal detector out, and start playing.
Thanks all for the help and suggestions! Tom

Andrew, I'm glad you and Bill mentioned the poor reception in dense woods. The more I think about that, the more I think I would have problems here in Minnesota... not much open land where I want to go exploring. I seen you replies to another about using a Palm unit in conjunction with a GPS to upload your own maps. I don't think I'm ready for that yet. For the time being, I think I can live with being able to load waypoints, and not my own maps. I'll read up more on the GPS -60. I think I'd need the better reception in the woods. Thanks! Tom

Tom,
For ultimate in a handheld GPSR reception in the woods, consider Lowrance iFinder. The basic version (not the pro / hunt / whatever) is, in my experience, unbeatable and it is cheap!
http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/ifinder.asp
To get the same level of reception under canopy, most other units would require an external, amplified antenna.
Note that GPS60 does have an antenna connector so, if you want to improve it's reception, there is an easy way.

Andrew, Okay, now you have me reading up on the Lowrance units.
The I-finder sounds good, but noticed the I-finder plus. It sounds
like it can create custom maps on your PC, etc., all for under $200.

Questions

1. Is it a mapping GPS unit, where you can upload maps, or just waypoints?

2. Is the MapCreate software similar to the Ozi software you talk about?

Forever thankfull, Tom
===================================

The speil on Lowarnce I-finder Plus..

Extend your iFINDER with the Plus package, which includes the GPS Mapping Accessories Pack, for creating unlimited, custom, high-detail mapping on your PC with MapCreate

iFinder is a mapping receiver.
MapCreate does not let you your maps. They say "custom maps" because you can mark which features from teh MapCreate map are to be loaded into the unit so. The MapCreate maps are decent.
If you want your maps on the computer, create waypoints over your maps and transfer to teh receiver, you still need Ozi or TTQV or such just like you'd need for Garmin.

Transfer of waypoints / maps is not doene via cable. It is done by saving file to the memory card.
The card in the Plus package is small but you can buy from any photo / electronics store a larger capacity SD card. They are cheap.

Andrew, From what you clarified, and what I've read,
The Lowrance IFinder sounds pretty good for my needs.

**How do I get the computer map information onto the
little memory card? I believe I read you do it using
a USB device that comes with the plus package. Is that
how you understand it?

I think I'm about sold on the Ifinder because it
works better in the woods, is a mapping receiver,
so I won't have to upgrade right away (hopefully!),
the software package, and the price.
Hopefully the next time I post a question is "after"
I have a GPS unit. As always, Thanks. Tom

Andrew Kalinowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> iFinder is a mapping receiver.
> MapCreate does not let you your maps. They say
> "custom maps" because you can mark which features
> from teh MapCreate map are to be loaded into the
> unit so. The MapCreate maps are decent.
> If you want your maps on the computer, create
> waypoints over your maps and transfer to teh
> receiver, you still need Ozi or TTQV or such just
> like you'd need for Garmin.
>
>
> Transfer of waypoints / maps is not doene via
> cable. It is done by saving file to the memory
> card.
> The card in the Plus package is small but you can
> buy from any photo / electronics store a larger
> capacity SD card. They are cheap.
>
>
>
> Andrew Kalinowski

tomfg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Andrew, From what you clarified, and what I've
> read,
> The Lowrance IFinder sounds pretty good for my
> needs.
>
> **How do I get the computer map information onto
> the
> little memory card? I believe I read you do it
> using
> a USB device that comes with the plus package. Is
> that
> how you understand it?
>
>>>snip>>>
Yup, this is how it's done.

Andrew, I received my Lowrance iFinder Pro a couple of days ago.
Haven't had much time to play, but have managed to load a map
of the area I live in. I can bring up the map on the GPS fine,
lock on the satellites, zoom in, out, etc., but I can't seem to scroll around
on the map using the arrow keys, like the directions suggest.
When I press an arrow key, I get the cross hair, but when I try
using any arrow to move the cross hair, it won't move, but
just goes "beeb". Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks, Tom

Figured it out. I just wasn't holding down the arrow keys long
enough. As soon as I pushed down on them, it beeped. Thought
I was getting some kind of error beeb. Am still playing it,
and learning a little more...... not ready for the woods yet.
Thanks, Tom

Bill W. Thanks for the link to the Oziexplorer, I too had questions but downloading their product and using the tutorial (free) WOW that is really neat and after only a few minutes of playing realize how useful a GPS could really be.

I know nothing about a GPS or the software that comes with them but have had experience using maps so that is something in my favor, (didn't have this luxury in Nam) I hoping this dog isn't too old too learn.

If I might add my 2 cents worth . I also have been looking for that one particular "do it all , gps" for the least amount of money plus good maps. About all I can come up with is the conventional "auto" types for the purpose I want. That , only show state and federal hiways and give a fairly good indicaton of where you are wanting to go , when you will get there , and in some cases how with turn by turn directions. I have the old (possibly the first gps , a Garmin Emap ) greyscale . I also am in the process of trying out one of the new Lowrance XOG cross over type GPS. This particular one has the back roads of a National Forest where I live and names most of the small if not invisible creeks with names matching a map from the National Forest service. The only thing I would like to add is a topo map of the area where I am driving. I might add that I also do a lot of 4 wheeling and metal detecting and a little recreational gold hunting in this area. For now I can take the paper map find that one spot I want to see in person and in daylight on foot or the 4 wheeler , get the right longitude and latitude put it in the "find field " on the GPS and "go to on the map and it shows exactly where it is on the screen. I then mark a "waypoint " in the waypoint section of the software included . Then when I set out to the woods on the four wheeler I can pull up the marked waypoint and hit "go to in a trip form" it gives me the directions and position along with a "trail" that I am making the that one spot . If I forget where in the woods I am , all I have to do is review my "trail" and backtrack. So far I havent got lost yet