Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What changes were made, to take the Explorer S to an XS and then to go from XS to the II ?

I just answered this for a friend this morning through email. Here's a clip of the email.

There were a couple of improvements between Explorers. My Explorer (original) only has one ID number field (conductivity) and the Explorer II has two ID number field (conductivity and ferrous). For me the dual display is of no value because I hunt totally by sound on the Explorer. The sound ID is way more accurate than the display. The reason for going totally by sound is that if you get in trash and something is constantly under the coil the display will NOT update and you'll basically have no idea what the he** it is... :( For the Explorer to update it's ID the threshold has to return and then it updates it. I don't know why it was designed that way. There was also an improvement in the upper shaft where the shaft connects to the Explorer LCD. Right where the upper shaft slides in they're prone to cracking and making the Explorer wobbly. My pin that is in the same area will work lose and make the upper shaft slide out. In the Explorer II that problem was fixed. The lower shaft was also lightened some just for that purpose. There were some below the surface software changes plus the Explorer II's can process information slightly quicker. The threshold also has a wider variety of adjustment to get to the level you like in threshold level. Alot of people that used both say the Explorer XS likes deeper coins better. They also said the II like smaller objects. That's hearsay too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a XS. But, I would verify that the upper shaft area is not badly cracked before I bought it. Mine has a slight crack and will work loose 3-4 times in a day of hunting. It's probably fixable if your handy with stuff like that. Almost forgot the first generation of Explorer II's would just shut off in the middle of hunting. I would think most of them are off of the market. But, I thought I better say something in case someone tossed their II in the corner and forgot about it. The original Explorer is just as capable as the II. Also, the S has the learn functions deleted but otherwise is identical to the XS.

-Bill

on the S that there isn't a automatic noise cancel. Although, you can cycle through each channel manually and pick the best channel.

-Bill

QUOTE :- Bill W.
For the Explorer to update it's ID the threshold has to return and then it updates it. I don't know why it was designed that way.

Thanks Bill for being the first one to highlight this short coming in the Explorer II. (First report that I've read off),

I have tried to get others to confirm this effect, (I am aware of it on my unit), but with no response.

This mal-function really does annoy me, on a machine of its class.

It could be something as simple as a software procedure over-sight.

How such a glaring problem slipped past the manufacturers is hard to realise.

I don't know who does the proto-type testing for Minelab, but all I can say is, they mustn't leave the workshop to do it!

As for pinpointing.......nuff said with the single word, pathetic.

This detector is aesthetically excellent. Its sensitivity is top-bat, but those two problems spoil it for me.

I bought mine for the 2D ferro/conductivity capabilities. Such a concept was unique and surely the most innovative function of all.

Sadly, I found it failed to match the audio assessment in performance.
The digital can read 28/30 on an iron target, but the audio, in ferrous mode appears to respond to the CONDUCTIVE aspect of the digital read-out.

If they ever are able to correct the above defects, then they will have produced a 'near-perfect' detector, in my opinion.

Come on Minelab....Answere these criticisms and tell us what you're going to do about it. This machine cost the user too much, to allow you to ignore what are glaring deficiencies......MattR.UK.

Conductive tones are linked to the conductive reading of the LCD and ferrous are linked to the ferrous reading. If you are getting a high tone from iron using ferrous tones it's an iron false. IMHO, after using the Explorer for 5 years I can recommend using conductive tones with the variability set at 8. When using the Explorer setup that way iron will be a step above silver and have a higher tone. What you're experience is iron falsing off of the edge of the coil. It is IMO learning a false from a deep hit is one of the harder things to learn with the Explorer. Going totally by sound is the absolute best way to use the Explorer. I learned my Explorer by getting permission for a plowed field and going with a shovel... then you get to see exact what is happening and you don't have to be pretty. There nothing like digging a pretty hole in a park and spend time finding a rusty nail... :rant: Believe me I understand your aggravation. I went through it when I bought my Explorer. I never use the pinpoint button and have become very good at pinpointing without using the button. BTW, I have documented (as well as other people) the problem of the ID not updating until the threshold returns... but I think a majority of those post are in the old forum archives.

-Bill

I have heard the same thing. I would imagine there was a faster processing chip put in... but at this moment I don't remember the exact details.

-Bill

improvements of the Explorer 2 over the Explorer XS.

The new Explorer 2 has a newly designed lower rod with an improved connection to the search coil. This rod is round fiber that has the cable of the search coil routed through the center of the rod, instead of along a channel in the back of the rod as was with the Explorer XS.

The housing of the Explorer 2 has been redone to hold the upper rod better to prevent it from slipping out and cracking at the housing, the Explorer XS had some problems with the upper rod getting loose and cracking the housing.

The Explorer 2 has a new design arm rest cup, on the Explorer XS the old one would crack or snap off for some user's.

The Explorer 2 also has a built in stand which works just fine, the Explorer XS didn't.

The Explorer 2 also replaced the old 1/8" headphone jack with the more standard 1/4" jack.

The Exporer 2 software includes a faster response to the control panel buttons when making adjustments ( going through the menue ) the Explorer 2 does not hit on targets faster than the Explorer XS does than return to threshold! The Explorer 2 had an upgrade in it's processor allowing you to operate the different menus and features at a faster pace. the screen responds much more quickly to inputs from the buttons thus ending the slow response of the Explorer XS when editing discrimination patterns and other settings.

The buttons on the screen of the Explorer 2 are also higher so they are much easier to feel and push.

The Explorer 2 has Dual Digital mode and the Explorer XS does not, I have never hunted in the Digital Mode because I like the smart screen and iron mask!

I own both machine's, the Explorer 2 and the Explorer XS and as far as depth and sensitivity goes there is NO DIFFERENCE, I have spent many many many hours cross checking them in the field on targets, if the Explorer 2 hits on a target so did the Explorer XS.

Bottom line, the Explorer 2 is not "quicker on target response" than the Explorer XS, the Explorer 2 is not deeper than the Explorer XS, the Explorer 2 just happens to be a 56 cheve vs a 55 cheve, not a lot of change in performance but loaded with new accessories that make the hunt easyer,

General Ray :thumbup:

I did forget a few cosmetic tweaks they did... huh? :) Sun Ray does sell 1/8 to 1/4 converters that are also a detector stand. They're at http://www.sunraydetector.com/ for those of you not familiar with SunRay.

-Bill