Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What coil for SOV GT is the deepest? Home made TID

Sandmagnet

I'm wondering if it's worth the money for an S-12 or something else that is deeper and still sensitive as the stock Tornado? Anyone have any suggestions? I tried the 15" WOT and wasn't impressed with the depth and the sensitivity was not as good! I finished my TID meter made from VOM meter and it works nice! I'll post some pictures as soon as I get the time Sandmagnet

I think you will find that the S-12 is the most popular coil if you want and need a bigger coil for your hunting needs. This coil has the depth if you are experienced with the Sovereign and know it well, if you are new to the Sovereign you may not even see a difference over the stock 10 inch Tornado coil which is a good coil too. Depth with any coil come from knowing your GT and going very slow in some areas as some of the signals are small and weak and easily lost if the GT don't have the time to see them.

I did the field test for park hunting with the S-12 in 2 very well worked over parks and did OK with coins that had been missed and some were very deep and only gave a slight tone change letting me know there was something there. For me it did very good and I was very happy with the S-12 and highly recommend it for those that know their Sovereigns, for those new to the Sovereigns I recommend the 8 inch Coinsearch or the S-8 of Sun Rays to help learn the Sovereigns as it makes it easier to learn then get the S-12.

Rick

S12,S8 and Wot 15" i like them all for diff reasons.on land i like the S8 ...on the beach i like the S12 and WOT. the max depth i ever got with the S12 on the beach was about 15" on a dime ,with my GT..i dont like big coils on land as there is too much trash to mask under a big coil. but on the beach they cant be beat.the S12 is lighter than the stock 10"coil and way lighter than the WOT. the WOT and S12 are about the same in depth.good luck

labeachbum said:
any time you go to a bigger DD coil the pinpoint is not quite as easy but i have used them so long i dont have a problem even with the WOT 15"..i just locate the item,then back up until you just start to loose the tone and item will be on the leading edge (top) of coil.if its less than 12" deep i normally get it in 2 scoops.about the only thing that gives me trouble is a pull tab on edge or odd shaped shrapnel. they pumped new sand on my beach last year and if found a truck load of scrap brass/copper slaw over 3 miles of beach and a ton of brass 3/4" tacks.
How's the pinpointing with the S12, any different than the 8 inch coils.

could you tell me more about your meter as i would like to fit one to my g.t.,,,does it give a conductivity reading???,,thank you,,,comcat :ukflag:

but the S12 has a much lighter feel when swinging it and it still covers a full 12.5". Im a little surpised at your findings on the WOT, the depth I get on the beach with mine is excellent and the sensitivity is about the same as the Tornados or Sunray coils. The weight is the problem with the WOT, but it is a heck of alot of coverage also, so its to be expected.
Make sure your adjusting your sov correctly to get the most out of your WOT.

Neil

I had the SEF 15x12 for the beach and it beat my WOT 15" on depth, separation and sensitivity, i now bought the SEF 15x12 for the etrac and its working well:thumbup:

Thanks for the inputs on coils and will look into the SEF and have an S-12 on the way. The meter reads just like the Sunray DTI, such as 180 on a quarter. Go to the SOV GT forum and you can see some of my pictures. The plans and wiring are on Dan Clarks site "Somewhere in Time. Meter was easy to build and cost me about $20. plus 3 hours. HH! Sandmagnet