Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What coil would work best on my Golden uMax?

Whimpster

I just got a new to me old tone golden uMax...
Today my ground is rock hard and snow filled,so I'm doing some testing.
I thought I would check the golden with a few of my coils to see if the ground balance was positive or negative with a number of coils I have.
Here are the results....

In my back yard found a patch of clean dirt.. in all metal threshold at two 0'clock, sen set at 8.... the original 9x8 coil was negative on the up bobbing.
The next coil 5.75 was negative,the next coil 7" was negative,the next coil 8" donut coil perfect,no change or very little, on the up or down bobbing of the coil.
The 3x18 " clean sweep coil was just a tad positive..... 10.5 " coil was positive,and my last coil tested was the 12x10" it was negative...
My question....what coil or coils would give me the best results with this finding?
All coils tested were concentric...

Thanks for any response..

Cheers Bob :)

I could be wrong but it sounds like you figured it out...Best for what ? Testing the ground balance or how a particular coil response to GB...Or what to use while treasure hunting.?

Guess I'm wondering if I tweak the GB closer to a positive setting on my smaller coils would I get better performance....is it possible to get my smaller coils closer to neutral balance and keep 8" and 3x18 which are close neutral now?

Thanks.

JJdigs said:
I could be wrong but it sounds like you figured it out...Best for what ? Testing the ground balance or how a particular coil response to GB...Or what to use while treasure hunting.?

in identifying your Ground Balance response.

Whimpster said:
I just got a new to me old tone golden uMax..
I hope your unit works okay for you and that your ground is mellow and favorable.

I was a Tesoro Dealer when they came out in Sept. of 2000 and I never found one that worked properly. The supposed four tones were very seldom more than three, and many coins read a tone lower than they were supposed to when searching various ground conditions. You're smart to check all the coils because I used the Tesoro 7" coil 90% of the time back then, and I could switch between 3 or 4 coils and almost always have one or two where my GB was quite negative and caused a lot of falsing.

I soon got rid on all my Golden [size=small]micro[/size]MAX inventory for different models that did work and were more sellable, for me, after taking a vacation to hunt a variety of ground mineral environments in Oregon Utah, Arizona and Nevada. Never found a place with mellow enough ground for them to work right. There's a reason so many come up for sale all the time and why Tesoro stopped making that one, then all of them, so best of success with your unit. I hope it works for you where you are. It's a [size=small]micro[/size]MAX model I wouldn't own even if I came across one for $25.

Whimpster said:
I thought I would check the golden with a few of my coils to see if the ground balance was positive or negative with a number of coils I have.
A very good idea, and it should be done in both the Threshold-based All Metal mode, and verified in the Discriminate mode should one coil appear to have a negative GB. You don't want it too negative or too positive.

Whimpster said:
Here are the results....

In my back yard found a patch of clean dirt.. in all metal threshold at two 0'clock, sen set at 8.... the original 9x8 coil was negative on the up bobbing.
1.. Did you hear a proper slight audio Threshold 'hum' at the 2 o'clock setting? Sometimes they can vary and describing the knob position doesn't clearly describe the Threshold audio you hear.

2.. The Sensitivity level could have been set at Maximum, or close to where you still had stability to best check the Discriminate mode. The Sensitivity/Gain control on most Tesoro models is only a function of the Disc. mode. The All Metal mode is designed-in at what they considered 'maximum' Sensitivity and most models are unaffected by that control so it could be minimum to maximum in the All Metal mode with little or no effect.

3.. You described the positive/negative response based on the audio with the up-lift of the search coil away from the ground. That is a technique to use when 'Power Balancing' the GB in the silent-search Discriminate mode, but whenever you have a Threshold-based search mode, such as All Metal, it is best to start with the search coil held about 6"-8" above the ground, then describe the audio response when lowered toward the ground to about ½"-1". A 'spot-on' GB should have little variance when this is done, and a slightly positive GB might display a slight increase in the Threshold hum the last ½" to 2".

If you start with the search coil close to or on the ground, hear a Threshold hum, then lift the coil upwards away from the ground, a positive GB will go negative on the uplift, but you have no way to know how positive the GB setting is. You should lower the coil from 6" to determine how soon the audio hum increases to see just how 'positive' the unit is. You could set the GB control, an external knob or internal trimmer, to fully positive GB and with the coil on the ground still have it reduce to a negative response, but such a positive GB on most Tesoro's will impair depth or eliminate the response to a larger US silver dollar or even a half-dollar in the Discriminate mode.

Again, as I say with most Tesoro models, the Disc. mode has a positive offset from the All Metal mode GB adjustment and usually you will get peak performance in the Discriminate mode with a close to 'spot-on' Disc. mode GB, but that results in a somewhat negative GB in the All Metal mode. I do 95+% of my searching with a Tesoro in the Discriminate mode and prefer to have the GB adjusted for best performance in the Disc. mode.

Whimpster said:
The next coil 5.75 was negative,the next coil 7" was negative,the next coil 8" donut coil perfect,no change or very little, on the up or down bobbing of the coil.
The 3x18 " clean sweep coil was just a tad positive..... 10.5 " coil was positive,and my last coil tested was the 12x10" it was negative...
Again, this should have been done in the All Metal mode listening to the audio change on the down-stroke, not the up-lift of the coil.

It makes me wonder just how negative the GB was [size=small](which you describe as positive)[/size] with the 3X18 Clean Sweep and 10½" coils. If too negative in All Metal you could get falsing in the Discriminate mode. I'd verify performance in the Disc. mode with each coil, checking with the Disc. level adjusted to 'minimum' and bobbing the coil from 6" to about ½" to make sure there was no falsing [size=small](an audio beep on the 'up-lift' would alert you to a too negative GB setting)[/size].

Whimpster said:
My question....what coil or coils would give me the best results with this finding?
Not able to determine as the process was not properly efficient.

Whimpster said:
No, they were not because the Clean Sweep coil is a 'Wide-Scan' which is Tesoro's way of describing a Double-D design. The round 'donut' 8" is Concentric, and if you're referring to the 10½" white 'donut' coil then it is Concentric. Just be certain your 6" [size=small](Tesoro labeled 5.75)[/size] and 7" coils are Concentric and not 'Wide-Scan' or 'Double-D.'

Monte

I love reading your responses very much Monte....Thanks for really spending the time on very detailed info that we all can learn from.

Monte....wished you lived closer...I'd buy you a Lobster dinner:)...I really enjoy your post it's easy to understand and very informative.
I'm new to the Tesoro line up but have found a fondness for their simplicity with just tones to hunt by, and I'm really enjoying the learning curve that comes with them...
Now back to the golden microMax.....Ok my settings were... disc level set to minimum, switch set in all-metal, threshold dial set to 2 o'clock with a minimum hum and sensitivity set at 8 on the dial.
All my coil test were done in all-metal mode...don't quite understand how to check the GB in Disc mode...do I need something to make the coil sound off.....(like mineralized soil or rock..... or a piece of ferrite?.. if so what would you use for the test material?)
I've got my head rapped around the all-metal GB testing...and most of the disc GB....:)
As for my coils... yes I made a mistake on the 3x18" clean sweep it is a wide-scan...but all my other coils are concentric..sorry for the mix up.
I need to read your post a couple more times to digest the info you have provided...

I'll do the test again with the sensitivity on max and see if my results change....
And before I try to make any corrections I want a day out with the coils to see which one's work best...I'd like to have the 5.75" ...7", and the 3x18 clean sweep working proper on the Golden microMax.

Thanks again Monte...

Monte said:
in identifying your Ground Balance response.

Whimpster said:
I just got a new to me old tone golden uMax..
I hope your unit works okay for you and that your ground is mellow and favorable.

I was a Tesoro Dealer when they came out in Sept. of 2000 and I never found one that worked properly. The supposed four tones were very seldom more than three, and many coins read a tone lower than they were supposed to when searching various ground conditions. You're smart to check all the coils because I used the Tesoro 7" coil 90% of the time back then, and I could switch between 3 or 4 coils and almost always have one or two where my GB was quite negative and caused a lot of falsing.

I soon got rid on all my Golden [size=small]micro[/size]MAX inventory for different models that did work and were more sellable, for me, after taking a vacation to hunt a variety of ground mineral environments in Oregon Utah, Arizona and Nevada. Never found a place with mellow enough ground for them to work right. There's a reason so many come up for sale all the time and why Tesoro stopped making that one, then all of them, so best of success with your unit. I hope it works for you where you are. It's a [size=small]micro[/size]MAX model I wouldn't own even if I came across one for $25.

Whimpster said:
A very good idea, and it should be done in both the Threshold-based All Metal mode, and verified in the Discriminate mode should one coil appear to have a negative GB. You don't want it too negative or too positive.

Whimpster said:
Here are the results....

1.. Did you hear a proper slight audio Threshold 'hum' at the 2 o'clock setting? Sometimes they can vary and describing the knob position doesn't clearly describe the Threshold audio you hear.

2.. The Sensitivity level could have been set at Maximum, or close to where you still had stability to best check the Discriminate mode. The Sensitivity/Gain control on most Tesoro models is only a function of the Disc. mode. The All Metal mode is designed-in at what they considered 'maximum' Sensitivity and most models are unaffected by that control so it could be minimum to maximum in the All Metal mode with little or no effect.

3.. You described the positive/negative response based on the audio with the up-lift of the search coil away from the ground. That is a technique to use when 'Power Balancing' the GB in the silent-search Discriminate mode, but whenever you have a Threshold-based search mode, such as All Metal, it is best to start with the search coil held about 6"-8" above the ground, then describe the audio response when lowered toward the ground to about ½"-1". A 'spot-on' GB should have little variance when this is done, and a slightly positive GB might display a slight increase in the Threshold hum the last ½" to 2".

If you start with the search coil close to or on the ground, hear a Threshold hum, then lift the coil upwards away from the ground, a positive GB will go negative on the uplift, but you have no way to know how positive the GB setting is. You should lower the coil from 6" to determine how soon the audio hum increases to see just how 'positive' the unit is. You could set the GB control, an external knob or internal trimmer, to fully positive GB and with the coil on the ground still have it reduce to a negative response, but such a positive GB on most Tesoro's will impair depth or eliminate the response to a larger US silver dollar or even a half-dollar in the Discriminate mode.

Again, as I say with most Tesoro models, the Disc. mode has a positive offset from the All Metal mode GB adjustment and usually you will get peak performance in the Discriminate mode with a close to 'spot-on' Disc. mode GB, but that results in a somewhat negative GB in the All Metal mode. I do 95+% of my searching with a Tesoro in the Discriminate mode and prefer to have the GB adjusted for best performance in the Disc. mode.

Whimpster said:
Again, this should have been done in the All Metal mode listening to the audio change on the down-stroke, not the up-lift of the coil.

It makes me wonder just how negative the GB was [size=small](which you describe as positive)[/size] with the 3X18 Clean Sweep and 10½" coils. If too negative in All Metal you could get falsing in the Discriminate mode. I'd verify performance in the Disc. mode with each coil, checking with the Disc. level adjusted to 'minimum' and bobbing the coil from 6" to about ½" to make sure there was no falsing [size=small](an audio beep on the 'up-lift' would alert you to a too negative GB setting)[/size].

Whimpster said:
Not able to determine as the process was not properly efficient.

Whimpster said:
No, they were not because the Clean Sweep coil is a 'Wide-Scan' which is Tesoro's way of describing a Double-D design. The round 'donut' 8" is Concentric, and if you're referring to the 10½" white 'donut' coil then it is Concentric. Just be certain your 6" [size=small](Tesoro labeled 5.75)[/size] and 7" coils are Concentric and not 'Wide-Scan' or 'Double-D.'

Monte