Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What Detector Would You Buy With $300.00 U.S

Hey guys I would like to buy the best detector I can for $300.00 (ish). I have a Tesoro Silver micro max at present and would like something with a display. I live in Alberta Canada and am not sure what kind of soil we have. I would be hunting along rivers, in fields, the woods, campgrounds etc... I am a very casual detectorist . what would be the most dependable machine in that price point?
Thanks for the help.

Lots of good entry units out there, nowadays, back when I started in 2010 there were way less.

Right now you have the Ace's with screens, the 300 is in your price range but the 400 with more features is better although higher than your $300 price.
I have never been a fan of these yellow eyesores and their tones but plenty have and found a ton.

Then you have the Delta 4000, it used to have a rep for being real slow in recovery but I think they speeded it up some in the last few years.
The Fisher F22 is a good one, a little bit more than just rain proof so if you get caught in the rain a lot...
I also started out with Tesoros and when I decided to get another one that was just to be lent out or taken on vacations so I bought an older version of the F22, an F2, because it was supposed to be as fast as the Tesoros with similar target separation ...it was.
I was shocked that it worked so well and found me so much right away.
Like Tesoro the Fishers have a language and behaviors that I just get, and tones that I love to listen to.
I ended up spending 3 years with it as my prime tool and it found me more coins, jewelry and other treasures than you might believe possible with an entry $200 unit.

Probably one of the most feature rich units out there now with some of the best value is the Land Ranger Pro.
Seems to be deceptively ultra capable despite its lower price.

There are others, also, but if it were me and I was just starting out with a screen I would have to go for the LRP #1 and the F22 #2.

Other opinions my vary.

Thank you REVIER for your thoughts, just the kind of info I am looking for. I will research the 2 you recommend.
Cheers.

I'd buy USED and save a pile of money. Often enough, the used detector will still have a large chunk of the warranty remaining seeing as many people like to buy the newest & whizbangiest machine.. only to become disenchanted, resulting in its sale.

Sneakyweasel is on to something here. Many times you can get a great deal on a nice used MD and actually go above your original budget on a nicer detector. I bought not long ago a Minelab Safari detector that was used and in great shape. I wound up paying half the price that this unit sells for brand new. Best of luck to you in your decision.

Sneakyweasel said:
I'd buy USED and save a pile of money. Often enough, the used detector will still have a large chunk of the warranty remaining seeing as many people like to buy the newest & whizbangiest machine.. only to become disenchanted, resulting in its sale.

[size=medium]I would agree that you can get a lot more for your money with a used instrument, however there are only a few manufacturer's with transferable warranties, if having a warranty is a concern...[/size]

We all have our favorite detectors and some we dont care for. I have used quite a few in my 46 years in this hobby and always looking and trying different one. Some have a long learning curve and meant for those that go out real often to really get to know them. In this time I have learned some detector work better for others and not for me or my type of hunting plus some of them are more of a toy than for anyone that is serious about detecting.
My favorite is my Minelab Sovereign with 180 meter, but has a long learning curve but learned well is the best coin hunter I have ever seen. Now another one I tried and my wife uses and really does well with it and I thought was one of the detector I really enjoyed and I highly recommend was the Whites MXT, but they are not made anymore, but seen them used in great shape for $300 or less so you would be in your price range. These are for coin hunting, relic and even prospecting and very easy to use.
If I was going to by used I like the Fisher F-75 of the Fishers, the AT Pro of Garretts the MXT of Whites which are all meter detectors. Just remember metered detectors are only give probable targets and you still have to rely on you skill and understand the detector you use.
I will agree you can get more bang for the buck on used detectors if they have not been abused and if that detector isn't right for you you can get all or most of it back by reselling it and try one of the others.

Good Luck with your decision
Rick

You could also get a minelab ex-terra 305 new under $300.00 witha pro find pinpointer $388.00

Great feedback! Thank you. I agree with the comments regarding buying used, but up here in the province of Alberta there are not many used in the market place and not that popular of a hobby from what I can see. There is a Minelab for $800.00 used. Too much for me.
Again being a very casual detectorist I want an easy to learn unit without breaking the bank. I also have a problem with some hearing loss, short attention span and get bored very quickly. In my 58 years I have not really had a hobby I could stick with, so I am hoping I can break this issue once and for all.
Thanks again for all your feedback.

I started with the Fisher F2, it is a great unit. It will go deep, found a Barber dime at 8-9" with it. Only complaint
is it is sensitive to EMI. But not to the extent that I would not buy it. I think you would be happy with it.

Costco has the Discovery 3300 for $99 bucks. That would surely fit the bit for the casual hunter on a budget.

HH
Mike

Mike ,I am up north of you in Canada, and Costco up here does not carry any detectors. With the slim pickings on the used market, I will probably be forced to buy new. I can buy a Garrett 200i for about $275. Canadian.

Hi,
your Silver Micro Max is an excellent detector. For modern Canadian steel alloyed clad it will work as well as any detector and it has a higher transmit frequency that will work well in your possibly higher mineralization Alberta dirt.

If you just have to have a display, the Teknetics EuroTek Pro and the Delta 4000 might work for you even though they operate at a lower 7.8 kHz frequency. They are simple to use but they lack manual ground balance and a real all metal mode. The Land Ranger Pro I tried here in Colorado and the similar Fisher F44 had trouble dealing with the higher mineralization here and had jumpy target ID and some depth loss.

A used Whites MXT tracker E series or even a used Whites MX5 or M6 would probably work but you will have to deal with negative numbers on some of your coins due to their steel content.

My Fisher F19 works pretty well on your coins. It has a little trouble with your modern dimes using discrimination mode but does really well on your other modern coins. It has no problem in all metal, has a higher frequency for mineralization and has good manual ground balancing. it is a great jewelry/relic detector and will gold prospect too.The Teknetics G2+ is the same detector. The Teknetics G2 and Fisher Gold Bug Pro are similar.

You can buy a new EurotekPro or Delta4000 for around $300 US. You can buy a used MXT E series, MX5, M6, F19, G2+,G2 or Gold Bug Pro for around $300 US if you shop carefully.

Jeff

My top 3 detectors around $300 US:

• Garrett Ace 300
  • Fisher F22
  • Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro

Also, you can look on Teknetics EuroTek Pro and some of White's detectors, but as for me, first three detectors are the good choice for the beginners and middle-level detectorists.

For the features and build quality, you won't find anything better than the Nokta Makro Simplex at 299.00 brand new.

There is a bit of mystery about the Simplex. The GB is said to be “automatic” and they seem to be saying that it is in fact continuous ground tracking.

In the past, detector makers have used the word “automatic” to mean fixed GB - no adjustment.

Continuous ground tracking - without the ability to manually adjust it or turn it off - has not usually worked out to be entirely satisfactory. The biggest problem with it is often the tendency to “track into” good targets with repeated swings over the target - thus eliminating or weakening the signal.

It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be - when it eventuallly reaches the market.