Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do most folks use ??

Mega

On my Nikon D3300 the camera allows 2 options for framing photos,of course through the view finder and also the Monitor,i have adjusted the focus on the viewfinder as per normal and this option does work 'reasonably' well,but i am finding that i am getting a far better indication on what the final shot will look like prior to hitting the shutter.

Although i dont wear glasses all the time,mainly for computer work and reading,a sure sign of old age creeping on lol,but for pure speed wise the view finder is quicker but the monitor option is much better clarity wise when compiling a shot,so have been using the monitor option far more than the traditional view finder one.

Was just wondering do folks use just view finder or both or just like me mainly the monitor ?? of course not all camera have both options,i have a lovely Samsung camera that only has the rear monitor and that is a really lovely camera to use as its light and can be used for everyday use,but always thought that it was seen as a very basic camera because it did not offer the traditional view finder.

We have a steam rally in my village over the weekend,so plan on taking the Nikon and taking a fair amount of shots with the 55-200 lens on it,but its still this issue that am i using it correctly,speed wise the view finder wins hand down but lacks the wider information that a Monitor does.

All comments would be most welcome.

Have worked it out,many thanks

Can you share your results, please?
It would be very nice to know what your personal
preferences are; and why.

vito said:
Can you share your results, please?
It would be very nice to know what your personal
preferences are; and why.

I will try and explain from a novice point of view,i initially preferred the view finder option as in my mind its quicker,i set the viewfinder up for my eyesight which basically although i dont use glasses all the time but for altering the settings on a camera i need my reading glasses,so its a matter of putting them on and taking them off again and its a right pain in the rear as i cannot look through the view finder when using glasses.

But the option that i have found that works for me currently at the moment is still keeping my glasses on but view the image on the monitor then taking the picture,its also a far higher quality preview in my mind,of course this may not be the preferred option for most folks but in the last 3-4 days have been trying a few different variations but keeping my reading glasses on and monitor works a treat.But may revert to the view finder when speed is required like say when taking a image of a car in a show and you only have seconds to take it before folks walk past.

Its possibly not the best method but currently the best way for me,will be out at the above steam rally tomorrow as the weather is dry and sunny and the plan is on taking the camera with the monopod.

Its all part of the learning curve of finding out what suits me best,have also ordered a 28-55' Nikon lens today for the D3300 for closer work,at the moment it all seems to be coming together.Of course over time i could even change tactics again,but at least i am try various methods out and learning from them.

Guess it will depend on the camera.Also, the shooting environment.
If I am indoors, the monitor screen is easier to use, my camera also has a tilt screen that makes many shots easier.
My camera's monitor is set up so the picture it takes is close to what the subject is in real life, which is what my computer monitor is calibrated to.
Outdoors in sunny conditions, my cameras monitor is washed out by the sun. In that case, the view finder is king for framing etc. Everything I see on the monitor--pictures settings
will show up in the viewfinder. I can make all picture adjustments while looking at the subject thru the viewfinder. Now, it just so happens the image you see thru the viewfinder matches
the monitor and close enough to the real subject. So I know what I see is what I'll get. I had some cameras what you see on the camera monitor can be far off from what you see when its looked at off camera.
Maybe the image will have too much tint of blue, or red or green, in that case if not being able to adjust the camera, it comes down to editing the picture.

My camera has a neat feature setting if you bring your eye up to the viewfinder, it turns on and the monitor will turn off....

Outdoors:
Sunny days viewfinder
Cloudy or dull days viewfinder or monitor

Indoors:
Mostly monitor

Oh, now I get the point, Mega.

That's the price of an optical view finder. Think it will work the same as it does on the Pentax here.
It was a learning curve to watch to all the tiny icons below the image on the view finder to get and change
the camera settings. But if it comes to change settings in the menues the look through the view finder is
worthless as those menu settings will not show up.
So right before shooting I'm trying to figure out what set up will fit the whole scenery/set mostly and preset
all of the settings. But if it comes down to some changes I have to switch the view to the cams monitor, too.
Would be nice to have a live view there too, to get the image. But nada.

Totally different is the use of my Fujifilm HS25EXR.
Here the view finder holds a second monitor. Smaller then the back one and less resolution, but gives back
the same image for all settings etc. as the back monitor will do. And like Svens cam does, offers automatically
changing the needed sight while using an eye sensor.

It all depends on the environment and the conditions what cam will be used.
Like you said, it all personal preference.

Thanks for the response.