Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you consider fair for used from new price %

Daniel A.

I don't usually start topics but here goes. Often we see used machines going for close to new price so what are your thoughts if a machine sells new for say 1000.00 a year later what would you think should sell for as a percent of new. I just see so many selling on ebay and ask myself why would anyone pay within 85% of new for used when the little more gets them factory support. Lets hear it Dan

n/t

I see it most with the Ace 250. People will spend 175 to 185 plus 15 for shipping. Why don't they just buy a new one for 199 to 212 with free delivery and fresh warranty? I know the 250 is good (I have 2) but a new one is way better. I've been thinking of selling my 2 year old 250 that's in great shape. Then just buying a new one. I'll bet I would only have to add 15 to 20 bucks! I think I'll do just that before spring.

I think its people buying on impulse. OR either can't find a new one and need one now. The classifieds on all of the detector forums have served me well. Got good deals and have never been taken. And the dealers seem to post some good deals from time to time. Fixing to buy a HH wader from one tomorrow.

later..
Pappy

Well, Dan, "Fair" is a four letter word, and what it means depends on your point of view and the point of view of the competition, and that's about all there is to that. At any auction, you will have to be willing to pay the next bid higher than the most interested other buyer on the scene. A dealer will hang pretty close to a price he is sure he can get without waiting around too long. The web auctions have pretty well eliminated any "secrecy" advantage on pricing that dealers may once have had. Check the eBay "closed auction" searches for prices realized on whatever model you are interested in and you should get a pretty good ball park idea of the market. Generally, you will find a local dealer is up on all that and considering shipping cost and warranty issues, plus any other perks you can wheedle out of him, he is likely to be competitive. Dealing by mail with somebody you don't know has its own set of hazards and that should be kept in mind. Happy shopping! :look:

pappy i just bought a hh wadder my self, cant wait for it to show up, played with a surfmaster II this summer. 300 used never out of the house on the HH

hey pappy like your dog, hi Daniel to me it all depends on how old and what shape, normally i would say if its in new shape and don't care if its two day old, i wont pay anymore than 70% of what new cost is. exception would be if they haven't filled warranty card out. but anything else it is 60% the way i look at it the warranty is where the real cost of the detector is anyway. if i have a warranty than i inclined to pay more, if i don't then considerable less.

I have over 50 machines not looking for more just interested in what people think. Dan

There are a lot of factors to consider about a unit holding its value.Does the used unit have a lot of accessories,and condition.I think water units are high risk investments and I try to avoid any detector used in salt unless at a very low cost..Most individual sellers on Ebay with a lot of transactions and with good feed backs are great to deal with and usually get premium prices.Ebay Stores at strip malls are little more than pawn shops they usually charge their seller's 30 percent plus the Ebay fees.To answer your question I would never pay more than 70 percent of a units original value.

Just be careful who you buy from on the forums. Make sure you ask a lot of questions about the conditon and functionality before you buy (personal experience, I trusted too much).

They're not only going for these kind of prices on Ebay, but some of the machines being sold on forums are going for these ridiculous prices as well.

I wouldn't pay much over 1/2 price for anything used unless it was in extra good condition - i.e. barely used. I'd say around 60% max on the average used item. For me, this goes for just about anything, not just detectors.

Thats very good advice...I have been very fortunate..All my deals have been great..Have dealt with some of the finer people.
Check the feedback....You can get a very good feel of the people who are honorable, and will find that only a few are not..In fact, most of the "Regulars" will make it a point of doing you better than what they say...My only loss was on the bid board...........and you must remember things are in the eye of the beholder.
What they see, and what you see maybe entirely different.

There can be no set percentage applied to all used machines.
Condition and accessories notwithstanding, some machines are now known to be flawed and somewhat less than desirable.
Others machines, now out of production, may bring top dollar because of their quality or capability.
HH

When I buy used I try and stay at 50% or more below new. Maybe go up to 75% on items that hold value or won't wear out or in exceptional condition. Of course I am looking for bargains.