Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you dislike about the Tejon?

Nothing, I love everything about it, you just have to learn it.

Slow motion all-metal.
1. Where there are numerous targets it can't retune fast enough to see the next one.
2. In mineralized ground the threshold varies enough to render the all-metal mode useless when searching for deeper targets.
3. Normally slow motion makes for a deeper machine. Not so in my opinion with the Tejon. The depth seemed to suffer in bad ground noticeably more than the Vaquero in a side by side comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I like every other thing about the Tejon, just not the all-metal mode.

Nothing! if its in good working order. I would still have mine but I needed some money worse and I sold it.

Mark

all those battery's, and well I hate to say this but its not a silver hunter it finds silver but not as well as the FBS machines now strike me down for doing a minelab ad I should be ashamed of myself :punch:

its a mid to low conductor hunter and with that higher kHz so it should be, its meant for relics isn't it ??

AJ

Yes I would like to see it have a faster retune in am also. Would most likely help tot ground balance the machine.

Would love to have a Tejon running at about 10khz.

I would like to see an independent toggle switch for a fast retune all metal.

at NASA TOM's Thomas Dankowski's Metal Detector Forum

Only thing I didn't like is that they didn't include a small backhoe with it.Where I hunt it goes deep and loud. I dig most all the signals anyway because of the indian silver and copper mixed in with the musket balls and civil war relics.

one thing I see room for improvement on is it needs two separate ground balance controls one for all metal and one for the disc, in my ground i can search in slow all metal (VERYDEEP) but if i want to check a target in disc the GB is off and the depth suffers so you kinda are forced to hunt in eather mode or do the adjustments but its getting deeper than my silver and that with a concentric otherwise i like the TJN if you get in really badd ground use a P,I. I have had no disc machine that do well when the ground gets really badd.

I was thinking, I do not like the fact I do not have one...

The retune in pinpoint mode and the weight after using my silver microMax! The cheapy battery door hinges too but otherwise I liked it until I sold it yesterday! A 2 tone audio similar to an F-19 would make it the best relic machine made!

I guess I first ought to tell you what I DO like about the Tejón, right? Okay, I like:

1.. The fact that it is a Tesoro and the Discrimination works like a good Tesoro.

2.. I like how it can handle some iron nail infested sites ... like a good Tesoro, and if adjusted well it basically matched the iron nail handling I get from my 'original' Bandido, Silver Sabre II, Bandido II, Bandito II µMAX and same release date Silver Sabre µMAX, as well as the Eldorado [size=small](in the dinky µMAX housing)[/size].

3.. I especially like the variable Tone Control that allows me to select a VCO audio response, or an audio Tone that works best for me and my impaired hearing and for the headphones in use. The best feature on the Tejón. :thumbup:

4.. Although I am perfectly fine with the use of 9-Volt batteries in the six Tesoro's in my current battery, I DO LIKE the use of AA alkaline batteries because they can be found more often in small, out-of-the-way places [size=small](if necessary)[/size] and in bulk it can cost less for 8-AA's in a Tejón than 1 or 2 9-Volts in the other models.

Okay, so what do I NOT like about the Tejón? Well, maybe it is more about what I PREFER as well, such as:

A.. I PREFER to have a selectable, Threshold Based All Metal mode as well as a motion-based Discriminate mode w/o extra knobs and adjustments. I can use any of my Bandido models, my Silver Sabre II or my Eldorado and pick a mode by toggle selection. With the Tejón I can click the primary Disc. into All Metal and adjust the Threshold and GB and hunt in All Metal, but I can't switch into a Discriminate mode to search, only briefly check it because the Alt. Disc. on the Tejón is only a momentary toggle selection as it springs back to the center position.

B.. I PREFER faster auto-tune speed in an All Metal search mode compared with the Tejón's slower auto-tune.

C.. I PREFER the lighter-weight of the models I have to the Tejón which has the larger-size control housing and rear-positioned battery housing. The Tejón is only about 0.[size=small]78[/size] pound heavier, but that's about 35.[size=small]45[/size]% more than any of my three µMAX models. The Tejón's listed weight is 2.[size=small]98[/size] lb. and my older Bandido II with the larger housing is listed as 3 lb., so that's not much difference.

D.. I DO NOT like the Dual Discrimination system as it really is unnecessary and is an older design pattered after the long discontinued Fisher 1200 X series. I only need ONE Disc. setting to just barely reject iron nails and I am good-to-go for the many sites I hunt.

I guess there could be a few more things, but offered new today, the Tejón might be my primary pick ... if I didn't already have the excellent performance and versatile detectors I own, which cost less than the Tejón. So, if someone doesn't want to shop for and use a gently used detector, buy new and current. To me there's no need to do that as I have my 'original Bandido and have now complemented it with five more of my All Time Favorite Tesoro models.

Monte

Thanks for the replies guys.

Monte

Your first listed dislike (A) is also one of my biggest dislikes along with the somewhat slow retune.

I'm not sure if a guy could not change out the toggle switch to a three position switch that remains in position when switched.

Anyone know if that is possible?

Once again thanks
FO

NIBBLER said:
[size=medium]No volume control and no tone id.[/size]

Personally, I rely on the Headphone Volume adjustment. Some models on the market do have a Target Volume control, but with the Tesoro design, especially the Tejón, it isn't needed when enjoying the nice modulated audio performance.

Tone ID? Well, I do like Tone ID on some makes and models for some applications, but a Tone ID on more recent detectors is more functional because most are based on a modern digitally designed circuitry. Most analog-based detectors haven't done all that well with Tone ID, especially if you like a multi-tone type Tone design.

When the Tejón gets strong credit, just like the most earlier, multi-purpose Tesoro models such as the Bandido, Bandido II, Bandido II µMAX and Eldorado, is that they all feature Tesoro's remarkable quick-response and fast-recovery circuitry and can easily handle the difficult iron nail infested sites. In those conditions, an excellent-performing detector will be able to have the Discrimination adjusted to just barely reject iron nails, but still be able to respond to a coin placed reasonably close to a few nails.

In those conditions, you set the detector up to 'Beep' on any accepted target above iron nail rejection, thus Tone ID isn't really necessary. In a dense iron littered site you can sometimes use some Tone ID models that producer a Low Tone for Iron [size=small](most iron)[/size] and a Higher Tone for non-ferrous targets, but many analog type models suffer some 'bleed' issues from the two target types that results in more of a 'squishy' sounding audio of the Low and High Tones sort of blended.

Tesoro made the Euro Sabre with a Two Tone audio circuitry and it kind of worked, but not as cleanly as some current-production multi-tone models with a digital circuitry, such as my Makro Racer. There are many modern digital offerings, however, that have good Tone ID but they can not match the Tesoro models or modified IDX Pro I have in my current detector battery when they are adjusted to just barely reject Iron Nails. Some detectors just don't process the Discriminated targets well enough to recover in tough conditions, regardless of how many tones they might have.

In some ways I agree with you that I might like to have some Tone ID, but the detector models still have to work well and process the targets such that they can respond-and-recover quickly, including dealing with rejected/Discriminated targets ... but since many can't, I have-been and continue-to-be satisfied with the Single-Tone Tesoro Discriminators that DO tackle really tough conditions and Discriminate unwanted small iron.

Just my opinions.

Monte

I thought Tejons did NOT have VCO? The one I had sure didn't ? Same loud beep, no matter how deep or shallow the target, which is why I got rid of it.
I prefer my VCO pinpoint on my Lobo ST. I recently tweaked a pot inside the Lobo to get a depth boost on quarters and half dollars. Added air test of 2-3 inches on quarters and 4 inches on halves, at the expense of a little more chatter with the 9x8 coil.
So, how does one get VCO on a Tejon?

-Tom V.

I've not used the Tejón much since shortly after they were released and I was rather disappointed with them, cost Vs. performance against my Eldorado. So, I had to tap my noggin a few times to remember.

tvanwho said:
[size=medium]I thought Tejons did NOT have VCO? The one I had sure didn't ? Same loud beep, no matter how deep or shallow the target, which is why I got rid of it.[/size]
Yes, the Tejón does offer a VCO audio in the Threshold-based All Metal mode. You rotate the Tone control fully counterclockwise and it will 'click' into the VCO function.

tvanwho said:
[size=medium]I prefer my VCO pinpoint on my Lobo ST. I recently tweaked a pot inside the Lobo to get a depth boost on quarters and half dollars. Added air test of 2-3 inches on quarters and 4 inches on halves, at the expense of a little more chatter with the 9x8 coil.[/size]
Like you, I often prefer a VCO audio search mode, especially when I am using a model with a 2-Tone feature with a lower-tone for Iron and a VCO audio response for non-iron targets. Such a design option I enjoyed on the Teknetics T2, Omega 8000, and 2-Tone'mode' on the Nokta FORS and Makro Racer.

I also search in the Threshold All Metal mode quite often with many makes and models and sometimes forget to mention that in a post or two. I also like to NOT use a VCO audio in the Discriminate search mode sometimes, but it depends upon the site I am hunting and the amount, and type, of targets present. I wish more detectors offered a selection for single-tone audio or VCO audio as we desire.

tvanwho said:
[size=medium]So, how does one get VCO on a Tejon? [/size]
As stated, your rotate the Tone control to the VCO audio selection.

If you are in the All Metal mode and have established a proper Threshold setting, you can adjust the Tone control to VCO audio .. OR .. you can click out of that and adjust to a pitch that is more fitting for your hearing. Once you do, you can then search in the Discriminate mode and that optional Tone pitch selection will carry over.

However, if you opt to hunt in the VCO audio in All Metal, then once you click out of a Tone setting and into the VCO feature for All Metal, the Discriminate mode goes to a default audio tone. Not a variably selected set tone, and not VCO audio, just a default tone.

Monte