Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you like better and why

RANDY CONNELL

In iron infested home sites ,ghost towns.?the Impact or Racer 2 .another ? Why are the 2 so close in price seems like thr racer 2 price would drop.

Put me in the Racer -Racer2 category. For me I stick to a rule, always have fun detecting and keep it simple. The Racer models give me all the performance I need and simplicity as well. For those that are a bit more hardcore with detecting, then the Impact would be a logical progression. I did play a bit with the one Monte has, and no doubt it is a nice machine. But hell I would prob set it up exactly as I would my Racer 2 so kinda defeats the purpose. And to me with all the modes, freq and settings that you can do on that machine it starts taking away from my "keep it simple" rule.

I like to just grab my Racers, load the mutts up and go enjoy some time out in a lonely old ghost town away from civilization. :)

Maybe in time the Racer 2 will get a price adjustment. The Red Racer and the Fors CoRe did. Would make sense, makes the Racer 2 a tough sell being at about the same price as the Impact machine. The Racer 2 Pro Pak is only $50 less than an Impact Pro Pak.

If I was going to get another Makro/Nokta product, I think the best deal right now is the Fors Relic with 2 coils at $679.95 Then I would have a higher freq machine at 19kHz and my Racers at 14 kHz. I would have 2/3 of a Impact machine :tongue:

Hey Gregg---"ole what's his name" (fergit the dogs name) found himself a good one this time!-----Always wondered how you was always beating me out on finds.---The dogs doin it fer ya! :lmfao:----------Del

Hey Del how ya been doin ? So hey you going to join us for a day or two on Monte's June outing. If you bring your T2, well geez, I'll let ya borrow my dog so he can sniff ya out a big silver too. Hate to see ya go home empty handed :heh:

Also if anyone else is in the Eastern Oregon area or could be in the area June 8th-11th, you're more than welcome to come join us for a few days of ghost town detecting. Just email or call Monte and he can get you the info. His contact info is in his signature line.

HH

gregg

I love my Racer2, I've had it for just over a year and it's paid for itself and my Impact many times over.

That said, to me, the Impact is like having a Racer2 PLUS many more detectors in one. I have a site that gave my Racer2 fits due to highly alkalized soil no matter what settings I used. Took the Impact there and sure enough in 14Khz DI3 mode (3-tone discrimination), it had the same issue the Racer2 had there, BUT when I switched to 20Khz in DI3 mode, problem solved. The ability to switch frequencies between 5Khz, 14Khz & 20Khz, all the new search modes, and a few other new features set it apart from the Racer2.

Hey Gregg-----Patsy & I are planning/hoping to make the first day of the OR outing.-----We have our grandsons graduation to go to on the other side of the state & will have to travel out there on the 9th.-----I already told Monte about that.------Appreciate your offer about me borrowin your dog!----Maybe he can help me out!:biggrin:--------------Del
OregonGregg said:
Hey Del how ya been doin ? So hey you going to join us for a day or two on Monte's June outing. If you bring your T2, well geez, I'll let ya borrow my dog so he can sniff ya out a big silver too. Hate to see ya go home empty handed :heh:

Also if anyone else is in the Eastern Oregon area or could be in the area June 8th-11th, you're more than welcome to come join us for a few days of ghost town detecting. Just email or call Monte and he can get you the info. His contact info is in his signature line.

HH

gregg

The 20 khz on Impact gives it an advantage to separation and unmasking,,,on some detecting scenarios.

Plus the fact Impqct tonally when in the thick iron,,sounds more neutered tonally on the sharp points of iron and nails.

Then the narrower smaller coil vs Racer adds depending on detecting scenario a little more advantage.

In my soil using smallest coils on both detectors,,Impact is a little deeper.

The ability to switch frequency on the fly is great. This may sound odd, but here is another example the advantage of frequency flexibility...I hunt a rail site that once serviced a copper mine. Tons of VERY small copper pieces. In 20kHz the Impact hits on these super small pieces, especially with the small coil attached, but not so in 5kHz. Makes hunting this site much easier not stopping to dig pieces of copper that weigh a few grains. 20kHz would do very well nugget shooting if you wanted to hunt gold with a VLF. As stated earlier, when you have an Impact you can set it up like a Racer 2 and many other machines as well.

Dean

The impact seems to be their whole line in on detector and with the 3 freq it just makes it even better. And better programs you can't get on the racer 1 or two. But I have the racer and the dues and the impact and all three are my go to units..

Let me start by saying this. I have found the new Nokta Impact to be the very versatile model we all expected it to be. Most of us have followed the slow progression of the impact for quite a while, and we also know that Nokta puts in the time and effort to work a product out and give us a well-designed detector.

Let me continue my feelings by adding that did not consider the impact as being a model that would replace either of my favorite go-to Target ID models, my FORS CoRe or FORS Relic.

I am however going to steal some of my personal detector Arsenal and sell or trade off two of my Relic models and maybe even my extra core. That will leave me with one or two for scores and one force Relic and one impact. I do plan to add an additional impact to my personal Arsenal however to help cover some of my wants and needs to help replace those models I thin out.

That will leave me with 4 Target ID models in my regular use Arsenal that all compliment each other quite well. The impact does perform very well, but it is still different from the core and Relic comma as well as from the Macro Racer and Racer 2.

For me although I can use my impact for any application, I'm still assigning it the my primary coin hunting detector.

OregonGregg said:
Put me in the Racer -Racer2 category. For me I stick to a rule, always have fun detecting and keep it simple. The Racer models give me all the performance I need and simplicity as well. For those that are a bit more hardcore with detecting, then the Impact would be a logical progression. I did play a bit with the one Monte has, and no doubt it is a nice machine. But hell I would prob set it up exactly as I would my Racer 2 so kinda defeats the purpose. And to me with all the modes, freq and settings that you can do on that machine it starts taking away from my "keep it simple" rule.

I like to just grab my Racers, load the mutts up and go enjoy some time out in a lonely old ghost town away from civilization. :)

Maybe in time the Racer 2 will get a price adjustment. The Red Racer and the Fors CoRe did. Would make sense, makes the Racer 2 a tough sell being at about the same price as the Impact machine. The Racer 2 Pro Pak is only $50 less than an Impact Pro Pak.

If I was going to get another Makro/Nokta product, I think the best deal right now is the Fors Relic with 2 coils at $679.95 Then I would have a higher freq machine at 19kHz and my Racers at 14 kHz. I would have 2/3 of a Impact machine :tongue:
As far as I k ow the fors core never changed.

I have been on the road since the 8th and do not have my laptop with me so I responded using my phone. What I say into the phone doesn't seem to come out the same unless I proofread it which obviously I didn't have time for in my above post. Sorry about that.

What I like best about this new detector is the balance as well has the packaging, and they design features it has. Impact brings us a lot versatility and performance in a very simple and easy to use layout.

After spending the last 11 days on the road Coin Hunting and Relic Hunting in three states working each of my detectors, I've reached this conclusion:

My CoRe and Relic devices will not be, and cannot be, replaced by the new Impact. As versatile as it is, each of these models have their own strengths and weaknesses. The Relic did not replace my CoRe, they just complimented each other. The new impact is an additional compliment making these three detector models all my primary use Target ID favorites.

I plan to keep my two CoRe models, one with the 'OOR ' coil and one with the 7 by 11 Standard coil. I am also keeping to Relic units in my battery with a 5.5 DD and 5.5X10 Concentric mounted to them.

I plan to get another Impact and use my current unit with the ssmaller coils, and the new unit with the 5 by 9 and standard 7 by 11 coils.

All, or any, of these Nokta models will provide terrific in-the-field performance for any active detectorist.

Monte said:
My CoRe and Relic devices will not be, and cannot be, replaced by the new Impact. As versatile as it is, each of these models have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Monte, can you provide some details?

With the proper coil, settings, and frequency selected why can't the Impact be a replacement?

As always, thanks for your insight.

Monte, what will you be doing with the units you aren't keeping?

Dave_E said:
Monte said:
MY CoRe and Relic devices will not be, and cannot be, replaced by the new Impact. As versatile as it is, each of these models have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Monte, can you provide some details?
Yes, and I will try to keep it 'simple' and short. This is my 3rd attempt to reply because twice I have hit the num-lock key and lost my post after two or three keystrokes after turning it off accidently. :rant:

Note that I clarified my response above by making a bold, red MY, and I also called attention in blue to the fact that each of these … and ALL … detectors will have some strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, I look for the strengths that can benefit me for the types of sites I like to hunt, then select the best coil for the task, and am alert for any weaknesses that might hint for me to try a different make or model detector that complements the performance of whatever is in–hand.

After I built my first metal/mineral locator in March of ’65, I only owned one detector at a time as I made a newer unit and then went to a factory-produced detector in the summer of ’68. We were entering a time where there was going to be some fast-paced advancements in detector types and designs and features, as well as physical packaging that would provide us with better ‘fit’ and comfort.

That meant more flexibility and versatility was available and by late ’71 or early ’78 I had at least 2, sometimes 3 or 4, detectors in my personal arsenal because they each provided me with different features or comfort in design that enhanced the versatility of my detector outfit and helped me with increased success afield. As the years have progressed I have often added to my detector battery, sometimes trimmed it down a bit, but always made sure the detectors and search coils I owned and used were a complement to each other to provide me the best versatility and performance I could get.

Dave_E said:
With the proper coil, settings, and frequency selected why can't the Impact be a replacement?
Can some detectors be ‘replaced?’ Yes, of course they can.

Some very recent examples I can relate to came about in January and February of 2015. By the end of 2014 the White’s MXT Pro [size=small](or All-Pro, the same detector)[/size] was my #1 detector complemented by the Teknetics T2, only with the 5” DD coil, as primary Relic Hunting set-up. I also had a White’s MX5 and Teknetics Omega 8000 V4 that served for my Coin & Jewelry Hunting needs.

In addition to these models I also had a few of my all-time favorite Tesoro models, the Bandido II MAX, Bandido II, and Silver Sabre MAX. The two [size=small]micro[/size]MAX units kept a small, thin 6” coil mounted and the other used an 8” coil, all of them being Concentric design. Why the Tesoro’s some might ask? Another ‘simple’ answer is that “They Work and Work Well” for many applications in both Coin Hunting and Relic Hunting and models of their proven analog circuitry design have been in my detector battery since July of ’83.

These detectors set the mark by which I compare all other makes and models for handling iron nail contaminated sites. If a detector can’t come close to doing what my Tesoro’s can do on my Nail Board Performance Test then they are not even considered for my Relic Hunting needs.

By late 2014 I was very interested in what I was reading about the newer Nokta FORS CoRe and I wanted to get one in-hand for some side-by-side and in-the-field evaluation. I was blessed to receive an e-mail from Dilek on January 2nd of 2015 with just such an offer which, naturally, I accepted. By the evening of Thursday, January 8th, I had the FORS CoRe package in-hand and was working on my evaluations. It didn’t take long!

Within hours to a day-and-a-half, I had done a lot of bench testing and comparisons and visited a couple of nail infested old sites for some field comparisons. My MXT Pro and T2 were relegated to #2 status and the CoRe nabbed the #1 spot in my detector arsenal for Target ID and Tone ID models. Not long after I got a prototype Makro Racer and, while I used it for some Relic Hunting, I found I liked it best for Coin Hunting trashier sites in urban environments and started trading or selling off my White’s models, Teknetics models, Fisher models and others.

Like I mentioned, the Impact does NOT replace my FORS CoRe or Relic devices and won’t. I like what they do and how they do it, so they stay put. I also like the Impact and the additional features it provides me. With the in-your-face display and ability to make on-the-fly adjustments with the operating hand, the Impact DOES ‘replace’ the Makro Racer series. Not ‘eliminate’ them as the Racer series are moved to my Back-Up or Specialty Unit category.

Since this is a Nokta Forum I was relating my feelings about the Nokta Impact, Relic and CoRe models and not the Makro models. With that in mind, I will add that the Impact has been performing very well for my urban Coin Hunting sessions using the small elliptical 4X7¾ DD coil working parking strips, confined areas around houses and structures and shrubbery, and I use it especially in the modestly littered picnic areas.

The Impact and 4X7¾ DD do OK in lower to modest density iron contaminated Relic Hunting sites, but when I get into a very dense amount of closely-spaced iron nails or other ferrous junk, I use only the round 5½” DD which provided me very improved performance in comparison using my nail Board Performance Test and working them in old railroad ghost towns, gold mining townsites, and in some urban renovation/building tear-down work.

NOTE: I do not like to quote other people a lot, and especially share private communications between me and a detector manufacturer, but in this case I was given the OK by Dilek to share this with you after I was provided a special coil made for me and reported the very favorable results. It reads:

“You can post your results though – please make sure that you mention that we developed this coil upon your request and for your nail board test
… and now that the results are positive we are thinking of adding it to the lineup but you do not know about the date. .... Dilek “

I am sure Dilek will announce the availability of this coil as soon as they are caught up on all their current orders for the new Impact with currently available search coils. I like both the smaller coils, but the round 5½” DD is a ‘must-have’ in my opinion for the most challenging environments to help unmask desirable targets in dense iron debris.

Please do not think I am belittling the Impact of relegating it to a lower status. Not so! I intend to get a new production Impact with the weather covers, which I don’t have at this time, and wireless headphones, which I also don’t have, to maintain 2 Impacts in my regular-Use detector team and keep different coils mounted on each unit.

I do this with my CoRe and Relic also because I don’t have to, or like to, mess around with coil swapping when afield. I prefer to just grab the model and coil combination I feel best suited for a site and the conditions when I arrive on site. I’ve been doing that for a long time [size=small](since about 1977)[/size] so there’s no need to change.

For those who can only budget or want to own one or two detectors, then I guess the Impact will more often be a ‘replacement’ model, but for me it isn’t when it comes to my CoRe and Relic devices.

Monte