Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you use to practice

w6pea

Okay I want to get the detector out again and brush up on it. :confused:
I have a couple of old rings and some coins. Maybe even some nails around and some old keys. What do you put the items in and have you buried them?Or just lay them on the surface. If buried what do you put them in.? :detecting:

Taking a hand full of coins and throwing them out in the grass and then go find them with the detector. Ideally, the grass should be a couple inches tall. Very simple and takes no special preparation and can be repeated over and over.

Jerry

I think the best place to practice is in a wood chip tot lot. Usually they don't have a ton of trash, but enough for you to practice on for determination of what it is. And, there are usually enough coins to keep you busy finding fresh recoveries. And such spots aren't bad place for some gold. HH jim tn

He places known objects marked in a spot under the cardboard and checks the signals. He then moves the targets around under the cardboard and tries to call all the pieces by ID and sound... Seems to work pretty well.

Practice ? I go detect a park. Or a school or just swing that coil.....what better practice is there ?

I put everything between 2 pieces of clear tape glue them together about a foot apart. When I'm done roll it up put it away till next time

I made a test plot behind my garage I have a Penney a nickle and a dime and a quarter I also have a pull Tab and a fatten pop can. a nail and a wad of foil. I have them buried from 2 to 6 inches and all targets are marked with a stick where they are buried This way I can try out different detectors to see how each one responds to each target. Its also a good way to warm up after a long winter...

I have used zip ties attached to keys and zip ties attached to finger gloves w/coins inside. (Jiggle blade to depth and use a bottom notched paint stick to insert to depth while blade is still in place.) I do this when helping folks learn. Ahhh....no beating a good natural spot though. Anyone know of one?:devil:

A word to the wise an object dropped on the ground don't equate to a coin buried for 50 years or so but does give you ball park..I believe whites has a test stick with targets pasted to them for testing.. In any case lay the detector on a wood table and just swing the item several inches from the coil will do the trick and yes take off your rings or bracelets when doing so....