Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What does "Scales" means on an 1877 map?

Philber

I'm looking at n 1877 map and I see the word Scales next to a black dot on the map. At first I thought it might be a person named Scales and that was their house, but I see the same word Scales shown on several other areas of the map and it never shows a first name, so I am thinking it is something else, but what? The square dot and the word/name "Scales" is shown next to a road or highway, not railroad tracks. The nearest town is not a metropolis, so I cant see the need for a large number of weighing scales to regulate commerce (did they even have weigh scales on roads back then, or is that more a modern thing?) Anyway, anyone know what Scales means ona map? Its from historicmaporks and they dont have any sort of legend with definitions of what various symbols and words mean. Which brings up a new question - anyone know where I can find such a legend for deciphering terms and symbols on old maps (kinda more specific to historicmapworks, since googling such a thing brings up innumerable responses)

Thanks

Ahh, I see what you are saying, but my question is different from that. The word "scales" is shown next to a black square, which often denotes a house or business at that location. The word scales is shown in multiple locations on this map I am working with and it does not seem to be a last name of the property owner. And I cant see there being (weighing scales) all over this area, so I am trying to figure out what "scale" means on this map, or if anyone has seen this before?

Ahh, I see what you are saying, but my question is different from that. The word "scales" is shown next to a black square, which often denotes a house or business at that location. The word scales is shown in multiple locations on this map I am working with and it does not seem to be a last name of the property owner. And I cant see there being (weighing scales) all over this area, so I am trying to figure out what "scale" means on this map, or if anyone has seen this before?
Can you show a picture ?

My guess..."rural/agricultural" regions, especially crops like cotton, grain, hay, etc. would provide a higher frequency of weigh stations (scales) than ranch (cattle, sheep, swine, etc.) area.