Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What happened to Tesoro?

Hello, I have been away from metal detection for a long time and I am back again. What happened to the Tesoro factory? I think it's closed, I don't understand. Their detectors were terrific, a shame.
They've DONE DID DIED BIG TIME!!!
Good detectors in their day though.
Just can't keep Producing Old School detectors and expect to stay in the Game!!! Foreign Detector designers
and builders have put the KABOSH
on darn near all American Hobby
Detector companies. Didn't take
Whites long to fold after Tesoro.
Only a MEMORY now...
silverseeker 2

They've DONE DID DIED BIG TIME!!!
Good detectors in their day though.
Just can't keep Producing Old School detectors and expect to stay in the Game!!! Foreign Detector designers
and builders have put the KABOSH
on darn near all American Hobby
Detector companies. Didn't take
Whites long to fold after Tesoro.
Only a MEMORY now...
silverseeker 2
Thank you very much for answering. A shame that a great brand like Whites is also having a hard time. Greetings

whites, is it now a British company?

No.
They always had 2 manufacturing facilities, one in Sweet Home and one in Scotland that manufactured products and did repairs for the European markets which is a separate entity.
When whites here put out their closing statement that plant put out there own that said they were still around...not surprising as they were probably caught off guard and are trying to save their business
How they plan on staying in business is confusing since they still need parts to manufacture and repair models and if true that supply lines have been disrupted that might be difficult.
Also, I doubt they own any patents so unless they do make it official and purchase the Whites name and their entire legacy I can't imagine them carrying on in any reasonable fashion for long.
There are rumors floating around about them now too, don't know how true they are but someone mentioned they were attempting to buy as many parts as they can from Sweet Home and another person said they heard from reliable sources that the Scotland plant will cease operations by the end of November 2020.
Hard to keep the body going when the head is cut off.
Still products in the supply line, many detector suppliers in the UK are still listing lots of their products for sale but they aren't talking about all the hub-bub going on with the home company which again isn't surprising because it they did it would kill sales in their existing stock if customers lose confidence In repair and the future of the European arm of the company.
In time we will see how it all shakes out.

No.
They always had 2 manufacturing facilities, one in Sweet Home and one in Scotland that manufactured products and did repairs for the European markets which is a separate entity.
When whites here put out their closing statement that plant put out there own that said they were still around...not surprising as they were probably caught off guard and are trying to save their business
How they plan on staying in business is confusing since they still need parts to manufacture and repair models and if true that supply lines have been disrupted that might be difficult.
Also, I doubt they own any patents so unless they do make it official and purchase the Whites name and their entire legacy I can't imagine them carrying on in any reasonable fashion for long.
There are rumors floating around about them now too, don't know how true they are but someone mentioned they were attempting to buy as many parts as they can from Sweet Home and another person said they heard from reliable sources that the Scotland plant will cease operations by the end of November 2020.
Hard to keep the body going when the head is cut off.
Still products in the supply line, many detector suppliers in the UK are still listing lots of their products for sale but they aren't talking about all the hub-bub going on with the home company which again isn't surprising because it they did it would kill sales in their existing stock if customers lose confidence In repair and the future of the European arm of the company.
In time we will see how it all shakes out.
Thank you for the information. Greetings

whites, is it now a British company?
According to garrett they bought them out :shrug:

I received an email from Whites stating that they had officially closed and had been sold to Garrett.

I miss both Tesoro and Whites. The Tesoros were a joy to use if you wanted simplicity. Made my very best finds with both Tesoro and a Whites DFX. Now, our options are certainly dwindling as there are only a few American manufacturers. Don’t know if Garrett will ever revive the Whites brand? Time will tell.

Hello, I have been away from metal detection for a long time and I am back again. What happened to the Tesoro factory? I think it's closed, I don't understand. Their detectors were terrific, a shame.
Two brothers ran the company after their father, Mr. Gifford died. One brother, a shy engineer, the other, a superior marketer and advertising man. One brother left the business, and sales and new designs fell. The company was done long before the doors closed. The machines to this day are still sought after, especially the Compadre with the 8" concentric coil. The Vaquero and Tej'on are legendary.

It is clear that technology advances, but I think it is more important to understand what you have in your hands than to rely exclusively on electronics. Today with a treasure, on my highly mineralized terrain I "smoke" a 3030 ctx and a Deus. I even "smoke" them with my new Simplex. Does that mean my detectors are better? no, I don't think so, I just have more experience detecting and I know better both my terrain and my detectors. Sometimes it's not about who has the best detector, but who uses it the best. There are also detectors that work better in some terrain than in others.
I have several detectors and each one has its place. Others just don't work well on volcanic terrain ...

Back in the day at the local metal detecting club
people that used Tesoro got smoked by Fisher & White Users
Lol......perhaps they were crap detectorists.Tesoros have been proven all over the globe,i've owned one myself and it was a cracking detector.They went bust because they didnt follow other detector manufacturers by putting unnecessary features into their machines.........doesn't mean they were no good.I can still take a top tesoro model out to a rally and find just as much as somebody with the latest million tone super dooper goes down to four feet and can detect a micro stud earing under a buried car detector.