Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What have i done

Raoul

Hi guys,well let me begin by saying that i'm an MXT owner for the last 3 years found heaps of stuff with it including 2 gold half gold Sovereigns, but i have always been pissed off when beach hunting in wet sand my mate
has 3 Explores,"yeah i know, why 3" i suppose he loves them,anyways he sh#ts on me when doing the wet sand up to 24 inches on a coin as the MXT would go only a few inches, so i decided to buy the new S.E. got it yesterday afternoon and already feeling like selling it, Geez completly differant to the MTX sounds like a cat is traped inside it,but i already knew that i know its a great machine i know its going to take me ages to learn how to use it to its full potential.
God give me the will power to stick it out and not sell it.

I can understand your wanting a SE but I would think you would use the Excal at the beach. I love my ID Edge but don't use it at the beach.

Hi John & Bill i find the Excalibur to heavy for land use, used it a couple of times but no fun for me, in the water yes its great.

I suspect that if you have any luck using that Excal in the water and understand the sounds and basically how it reacts then the SE won't be to difficult to learn for you either Raoul.
No matter how you swing it they are heavy but remember to SCRUB/GLIDE the coil on the ground and that takes most of the weight away. And ... also remember to go SLOW !!!
I hunt 99% by sound and most others that become successful with the Explorer do as well.
I doubt you'll be second guessing that purchase once the deep finds start popping up :)
Good Hunting
Mike

Rauol,

It is easy to set the Explorer so there are fewer tones to contend with. These are the basics of getting the sounds under control to your likings. Consideration #1 is the lowest tone emitted by the explorer to ID metal is the most ferrous iron. This lowest tone is the same tone as the threshold. I adjust the threshold tone to the lowest tone pitch setting and as we know there is an adjustment for this. Consideration #2 is the highest tone, in theory, is silver and is set by the Limits adjustment. I say in theory as some larger pieces of metal will give a high tone as will some minerals. Variability provides clarity of sounds so we clearly distinguish the differences in tones.

Step#1- Set the threshold tone, Limits and Variability to the lowest settings.
Step#2- Sweep the coil over a sample of the most magnetic iron, a nickel, and a silver coin. You will notice that all have the same low tone. We have turned the Explorer into a single tone detector but the cursor and digital display will still indicate the correct ID of the metal.
Step#3- Increase the Limits setting to the point where the nickel gives a different tone than the iron object. We now have a two tone TID detector and again the cursor and digital display will correctly ID the iron and the nickel.
Step#4-Increase the Limits setting to the point where the silver coin has a higher pitch tone than the nickel. We now have three tones and the user will notice that the extremely high pitch is no longer heard.
Step#5-Play around with Variability to get the tones to preference.

This is now to the point that is of particular interest to me with the SE. In pinpoint we are told that the Ferrous and Conductive readings update. The best ID of a metal target is when the target is centered in the electromagnetic field of the coil.

With this in mind, my first interest when sweeping the coil is to eliminate iron and then examine other targets. If I am going to dig all nickel targets looking for low conductive rings then it is a given that I am also going to examine all targets with a higher conductivity. I really only need two tones for this but I do like to hear a higher tone for more conductive metals and the thrill of thinking I have found an old silver coin. If a higher tone than iron is heard then the updating of the Ferrous and Conductive readings is going to be powerful, for me, in searching in heavy trash. I like to pick through the trash metals in parks as these areas are very productive using the above setting with an 8" coil.

This was how I was using the Explorer11 with the 8" coil and nothing I have used could touch it for discrimination. With the added feature of constant updating of the Ferrous and Conductive readings in conjunction with VCO pinpointing I expect to really enjoy the new machine. This may well be the best feature that is changed between the EX2 and SE. I am thinking of VCO and updating of the Ferrous and Conductive readings in pinpoint when I say this. This is one reason why I always use pinpoint on any target with a tone higher than iron.

More depth is not going to happen with the present technology unless the user goes to a larger coil. I think in terms of being more effective which is picking faint tones that are for desirable objects from the composite signals in the receiver.

There is a limit to how much power is practical to be applied to the transmitter coil. A problem is too much power will cause the soil iron mineral to retain magnetism so we have serious matrix noise problems. A design feature of the Explorer is the pulses of energy from the transmitter coil do not drive the iron minerals into retained magnetism. This is one of the limiting factors, for all detectors, on detection depth of targets in the soil. A lot of testing has been accomplished and about a 10V applied pulse to the transmitter coil is about it for a VLF or a sub-class of pulse induction such as the Explorer.

It is my belief that the modest changes between the EX2 and SE can be very beneficial as just described.

Hi Cody
Do you find and disadvantages using this program for silver or??
I really like the innovative style and will try it in the next day in the field...I hate all of the upper high iron chatter even while running in 1m-16 ferrous etc This should eliminate that my guess..
Do you have any other tips or tricks that are hot on the deepies?

Thanx!
Vern

I appreciate the kind words buddy, just wish I had the $$$$ to put one of these new SE's in my stable but it will just have to wait.
I'm a firm believer that anybody that can do good with a Soveriegn or Excal (same machine) can do as good with an Explorer as long as they're willing to put forth the effort.
Good Hunting
Mike