Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What I like so far is.... you don't have several dealers doing the tests

Dan, I too like that aspect of how they are launching this unit. Most all reprots are coming back directly form it's users. As an example here's a pic of todays findings. I hunted for 6hrs and thought the finds were good for that amount time.:cheers: The area I hunted has been well hunted by many others and most the finds you see here were at 6in plus so being able to ID and dig this many said something for the units capabilities. I had the unti set up at 85 sensitivity, 53 disc, and working in the 3b audio mode. I was also using rechargeable batteries to see how long they will last. Thus far I have 29hrs on the ones I put in there and they are still showing as strong as ever onthe low battery indicator. What you see in the pic one the upper left coner is two tokens from places I know doesn't even exist in Albany anymore. To the right upper corner is a mess of junk (dog tags, fishing lure, caster, earring, and miscellaneous other stuff). The quarters total 7.50, dimes 2.40, nickels .60, and lastly pennies about 40...didn't take the time to count them though I do know there was one wheaty in the bunch..will have to dig it out later).:super: All in all I had a good hunt and enjoyed it tremendously.:happy: The area didn't have a mess of junk in it like the other places I have been testing the unit at. Moral of today's hunt I guess woudl be in a clean environment the T2 is a killer.:clap: BTW, I didn't have much of the bottle cap thing today since the area was pretty void of them. I did run into a few pull tabs that came up as nickels but they too for the most part were no problem ID'ing.

[attachment 15176 1-14-2006008.jpg]

Yeah I did. I really enjoyed it. What was really great about it was that the site I was working has been heavily detected in the past and still gets a lot of folks down there. I knew going down there the finds would be deep and elusive. I decided to work the hill banks away for where most folks go. Basically right along the brush and tree line. Most the finds came in btwn 6-8 inches. I did get two dimes that were slightly deeper than 8. You think that at that depth they would be old stuff, but not this place. It has so much humus and leaves falling around the place that the soil probably goes 1 1/2in each year or two. I haven't checked the dates of the finds yet, though will almost guess they will mostly fall into the late 60's through the early 80's. Of the two dog tags I found one was dated 1977 and it was at 6 1/2in.

The place was unlike the other spots that I have been hunting since it is pretty clean of trash. Most trash gets picked up and hauled out by the other detectorist that hunt the area. I did run intio this one guy today that was also detecting the site. He had a Garrett GTI 2500, he was pretty much working the bottom end just down from where I was. As I decided to break for a few minutes and get a drink of my cocoa, he strolled over to where I was and we chatted for awhile. He had managed to dig a few but was no where close to my take, though in all fairness he hadn't been there maybe 2 1/2 hours. I let him try out the unti right where I was sitting and after a few minutes and a penny later he told me he wished he had more time to spend with it since it did tweak his interest. I showed him my take thus far and he was truly impressed telling me that he hunts the site regularly and knows that he had worked the area I was in on several occasions and couldn't believe he had shot over them coins so many times before. I think in part though was his swing, this guy had a real fast swing compared to mine anyway so I could see where maybe he would have missed alot.

The wind was really kicking today and the chill factor had to be down in the low forties. I know it was cold enough for me to put my gloves on. The wind was really playing a tune too through my headset making it hard sometimes to hear the small stuff/weak signals. The deepest coin I retrieved was a copper penny (the only wheaty I got for the day....haven't even looked at the date yet) at about 9 1/2in.

Tried Mikes sugegstion in regards to the bottle cap though had some difficulty simulating what he posted. Maybe it was just me and I may have been doing it wrong. Sent him a PM and asked about it again for clarification. On a couple of coins that I had hit at around 8in I took my TR (newer version) and the CZ70 and shot them. Both other units picked it up but the signals were slightly weaker than what I wa getting on the T2. Wish I had the Coinstrike and the GTI-1500 with me to try. I did noted that in a real moist area I was getting better signals with the TR than the T2 and the CZ, though when I got into the drier heavy loam and clay the T2 beat the TR out, though the CZ held up just as well as the T2. I played with the other units for about only an hour then put them up (got tired of carrying around three units), and concentrated only on finding stuff and enjoying the day.

Well lemme go and y'all have a good one. I'll give it another work out tomorrow. BTW, the rechargeable batteries seem to be fairing well in the unit. I started the hunt with 29hrs on them and after 6hrs they still showed the same as when I started. So they now have 35hrs on them and running strong. I remember reading something about them really dropping fast when they do start their discharge so I am curious to see at what point that will take place. Y'all take care!

....in the wider ground coverage at depth. That's just not happening with a standard sized concentric coil design. Take just a 20 ft. x 20 ft. patch of ground, and imagine painting it with a 1 inch paint brush compared to painting it with an 11 inch roller. That's the beauty of a good double-D design in hitting more coins at depth just as a matter of the odds involved.

Ralph

Yes I have Fred, that's where I was encountering all the bottle cap nuisances. I easily disc'd or notch'd out the aluminum, fooil and other trash, but the RUSTED bottle caps was the only thing that had me going. If the caps weren' rusted I vould easily ID them, but after being in the ground so long and the rust had made it's way into the surrounding soil coupled with the dampness and some spots wher it was real wet it did pose some challenges. The pull tabs though ringing up in the high tones like that of the nickels you could ID since they gave off more of a bounce, if you saw a high 59 or a low 55 on any of your passes you knew it was a tab. The beaver tails too could be ID'd by lifting your coil. The nickel held it's signature up to about 5ins though the beaver tail lost it at 2-3in. Zincs (pennies) were no problem ID'ing at any depth, dimes come in pretty clear unless slightly masked by another object. When I encountered that type of situation I just passed over the target from different directions and kept a close eye on the frequency of the VDI and the bounce to give me an idea of what laid beneath. In the clay areas you may get a copper penny showing as a dime. Normally the copper pennies would ring at 82-83 and the dime at 83-84, though when wet increase the numeric by one and you'll be on target. Quarters were the easiest of all and almost all hits on them proved to be quarters unless you got a rusted cap. I have been using the Fe3O4 bar to sorta help in ID'ng the iron content around the target. During most of my hunt the bar was at one from the bottom, though when I got a few hits up around 87-89 the bar increased to 2 or 3 from the bottom. When I saw this I discounted it and dug anyway, though was finding the rusted bottle caps. If the bar held at one bar and I could keep the VDI at 87-89 then it was 95% more likely to be a quarter. Don't ask me why, because I don't know. I am not a techy type, all I know is what I observed on a frequent basis. I'll leave the technical stuff to Mike and Ralph and a few other around here. I just like to detect and form my techniques based on experiences.

Bottom line though to answer your question is the T2 will fair well in trash so long as you are patient and know how to work it. I would love to see a smaller coil for the unit though. Believe this would help tremendously in the trashy areas since the one on it now is too big to work trash effectively. I guess you could say it will do just as well as any other detector in a trash environment using a 8in or larger coil. I have compared it to six other units and will honestly say it does hold it's own.

Comparisons to other machines with 8-10 inch concentric coils will prove to cause more masking of targets as opposed to the T-2 Double-D coil that will separate targets very well side-to-side, but not as well from heel to toe because of the EMF pattern involved. The T-2 will actually give two distinct and separate signals on two coins lying just 1/2 inch apart. Great lateral separation. A larger concentric in the 8 inch range can't begin to match that. And being a 2-filter design in the discrimination mode, you have the option of a pretty wide range of sweep speeds to handle various conditions.

Ralph

It all depends on the coil. Some concentrics put out quite a wide field at depth and some DD gets narrow at the bottom.

The stock T-2 coil seems to be almost "textbook" as far as how a good Double-D design should function, with a good signal at fringe range just about the whole length of the coil center from heel to toe. I know some "round" concentrics act differently than true ellipticals, and like you say, it really depends on the coil and the design parameters. Teknetics apparently got this one right.

Ralph

The Minelab Sov Coinsearch, for one. Great little coil and very easy to pinpoint due to the stronger signal in the middle of the coil.

For instance, found a deep dime with it, maybe about 8", and the coil would only pick it up along 2"-3" of its length. No the full 7.5".

If the folks using DD coils don't overlap their swings a bit they may leave good stuff in the ground.