Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What Infinium coils

MattBullSummerville

What is your favorite Infinium coil for the type of hunter you do? I only have the stock coil, and looking for information.

I have all of the Infinium coils. Each has its own use. I have used each of them at one time or another but I never did a side by side comparison.

I have choices of the Exclibur, ATPro, ATX, Whites SurfMaster Pro. for water detectors. The Whites was my only water detector for a few years, until I got the Excalibur. Then it became my main detector for several years. When I retired in 2009 I bought the Infinium so I could work closer to my detecting partner who also had an Exclaibur. I switched from the 14 DD summer coil to the 8" mono in the winter, it rarely came off. Summer hunting was mainly for recent drops, winter hunting was for deeper, hard digging, fewer targets detecting.

The 14" mono came with the 3X5 and 5X7 elliptical coils in an e-bay purchase. The elliptical coils were great in faster moving currents of a river I detected for several hours each fall when the tubers left and the river's flow was lessened for the state to do their annual fish count. They counted fish, I counted rings, car keys, credit cards, coins, and a bottle of whiskey - unopened.

My real feeling about the mono vs the DD is that the mono coil covers less area per sweep, sees a bit deeper, and it is easier to pinpoint. As with each detector, each coil combination; each has its shining area for its use.

The 10 x 144 DD is heavy, Ground balances well on salt beaches and achieves the same depth on same targets as the 10 x 14 Mono. This DD is not so sensitive to small gold as the mono,s.
The Mono is lighter and is my favourite coil for salt beaches because it has good ground coverage and excellent sensitivity and depth.
The 8 inch mono is a superb coil for beach work and is easier to manage in the waves.. It achieves the same depth as the big DDs on targets up to large coin size, after which the Big DDs are better.
The small DDs have the same sensitivity to small targets as the big coils (it's true) but do not achieve much depth and are best suited for use in rocky and rough ground or searching bed rock cracks. These coils are also much quieter in mineralised ground than the large DDs.
So. Your 10 x 14DD is fine but heavy.
The 5 x 10 DD is a good beach coil.
The 8 inch mono is a great beach coil.
I have not used any of my DDs since purchasing the Mono's.
Just an opinion, not Gospel.

Thank you both for your replies. If the infinium units are discontinued, is Garrett coming out with a different type of PI machine?