Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is all this about rod length?

Hi,

I've seen a few posts complaining about the lower rod length on the X-Terra 50 as being too long.

I'm 6 ft and had no problem with it but did have it sucked up. Yes, it is long. But I've seen posts indicating this is a reason to not buy a detector?

You know, lower rods can be cut shorter in a few minutes. That is all there is to it. If you want to go deluxe redrill and replace the lock detents but the friction lock knob will do just fine without.

I've had lots more problems with detectors being too short. Have you ever tried to stretch a rod that is too short? I'd much rather have too long and shorten it, then have too short.

That said looks like Minelab better offer up a shorter rod for people who do not want to cut the stock one down.

Steve Herschbach

It can be shortened,
Tools: Tubing cutter or Hack saw
Drill motor
1/4" drill bit

First, figure the maxuim and minimum length needed. Then mark it(measure twice just in case)and cut the lower shaft to desired length.
Insert the lower back into assy. with coil installed. Make sure the coil and shaft have proper alignment. Mark hole. Remove and drill.
Reinsert spring clip. Ready to hunt.

SHORT CUT: Insert to shortest position with spring clip locked. Tighten cam lock. Mark one of the remaining holes, Remove and drill or drill while installed. Remove shaft, cut off extra length and insert the spring clip. Ready to hunt.

I would do this in small amounts to ensure not to cut smaller than needed.

Regards,
Joe DeMarco

to find excuses to compensate the detectors design weaknesses.

Is the next tip to put some tape over the numbers if they bounce ?

That really reminds me of the Tejon when it came out with the not fitting battery doors and faceplates. That was all not a problem for the fieldtesters .....just put a rubber band around it where the tips. But Tesoro fixed these problems and Minelab should too.

HH,
Andy

Hi Andy.
The machine is brand new and as we know Minelab listen and will put right any short comings. ( no pun intented for those little people) :)

This is not a weakness.........It is only A suggestion. Until Minelab is able to make a shorter shaft. In case you did not know the Explorer has 2 diffent length shafts and I am sure this will be the case with this detector.

Like they say, one size doesn't fit all.

my post was tongue in cheek. i am happy with the length of the lower shaft after all i am only 56 years old and am still growing:rofl: