Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is "falsing"

Hi I love my new Quattro and have read Andy Sabisch's book (thanks Andy). I would like to know what "falsing" is? Is it when I get a signal when moving the detector one way across a target but no signal passing it back the other way?

That would normally be falsing. And that would normally be from running your sensitivty too high. But could also be due to electrical interference (you need to run Noise Cancel EVERY time you begin detecting) or it could also be a bottlecap if you're at the beach. Bottlecaps do that sometimes. What you need to determine is if there's actually anything there. And that you could do by going into pinpoint. Then dig it and see what it is. With experience you will be able to identify things like bottlecaps and foil without digging. Most of the time. But it could also be a killer gold chain and the only thing the Quattro is seeing is the clasp and only from a certain angle. The best thing you can do is dig everything, at least until you know the machine well enough to understand what it's telling you.

I was detecting yesterday at my old Jr. High school around some very old trees. The school is probably from the early teens, my mom went there, but while I was detecting I seemed to get a whole bunch of eroneous sounds, not repetable target sounds, but extraneous stuff. I figured that was falsing and I re did the noise cancel. That seemed to help but it happened two or three times in the same area, and I've been detecting long enough that it didn't seem like "just a bunch of junk in the ground", and again it didn't seem repetable like normal sounds would be, pretty much. Well...., I kept noise canceling and it did seem to help and pretty much get me through the session, but what a disturbing deal. I am still wondering if something isn't wrong with the dectctor, however I still did manage to find 4 or 5 pennys and the normal 34 number rating. Not sure what gives here unless the power lines on the street nearby were too close or something. I also wondered if there was a big power source somewhere nearby or maybe underground power lines. You know, I just thought of that, because I kept reading 34 in certain areas and dug and couldn't find anything. Well it's either the Twilight Zone or something like the power lines I guess. Back to the drawing board. I'll test the detector in a completely different area and see if it still works ok. Open to any suggestions, otherwise, have a great day. Marc Trainor

It does sound like a possible power line or EMF type problem to me. The key would be if it stopped doing it in another area that you KNOW it normally behaves well in. Should be easy to determine.

EDIT: Oh, and the other thing is that if you go from beach to land hunting you will surely have to lower the sensitivity, if running it manually. If you can run 17 or 18 at the beach you may only be able to pull 15 or 16 (or less, depending) at some land sites. So you might try shifting to Auto and running noise cancel as well, just to see. I got some darn respectable depth with the Quattro in Auto. I hunted with it in Auto for the first week or two I had it to see how that was and to get to know the machine.

One of the things I notice when I had mine is the slow recovery speed and every once in a while mine would sound off a lot too as the threshold never had a chance to recover, so I would lift the coil off the ground for the threshold to recover and then go back to detecting again. I had to use this same thing when I felt I had a good target was to see where it was, then lift the coil for a couple of seconds for the threshold to recover. I would then go back to the same spot and see if it was still there with the same tone, if it was it was a good target, if it nulled or the tone change from what it was before than this is the ID of that target.
With this I feel it seems to lock on better to the deep targets.
Give it a try next time out and see if this will help.

Rick

Hi Mike. This is Randy. I also have gotten signals before where I will get a good, strong signal one way, but on the way back on my return sweep I get nothing? I read how you said one way to determine if there's anything there is by using the pin-point. I was wondering what I would look for when I use the pin-point over these types of signals? I have only been using "auto" setting for sensitivity when I get these one-way signals. I would like to possibly dig some of these one-way signals, but have read that you should mainly dig the two-way ones. I was also wondering what "auto" is considered on the sensitivity meter? I mean, the meter goes up to 20 on manual, and I was wondering where "auto" would be considered? And I have also been told the best setting is the mainly the "auto" setting because the detector will look at the soil and adjust the sensitivity accordingly to get the best depth and stuff. Which leads me to ask if this is so thenn why does the quattro have a manually adjustable setting in the first place? I'm not sure if there's an answer about this, but was just wondering. I have found some nice things on auto, but if I could get more depth by manual setting I would try it. Thank's for any info. you could give on this. Sincerely, Randy

Randy, as with every detector, the Quattro allows us to manually choose our sensitivity. This is so that for the "Power User", they can squeeze every bit of performance from it. If you run it too "hot" though you risk instability and possible erratic operation. Running it in Auto is designed to provide respectable depth with stability. If you want to know what sensitivity number that Auto equates to on the meter, there is no solid answer to that because it adjusts due to ground and EMF conditions. So it could be maybe somewhere from 10 to 15 I would guess. Do some testing with some targets that are actually in the ground and see what you think. Or call Minelab and ask them and let us know.

As for pinpointing a one-way target, it's not "what you're listening for", it's if there is anything there or not. You use pinpoint to see if it's truly a false signal of if there's something there. If it's a FALSE SIGNAL, there won't be anything there. If there's something there then you may want to dig it, depending on what the signal is. An example of a signal that could be one-way and still be good might be a coin on edge.

Hope that helps...

Hi Mike. Thank's for the sensitivity help. I'll try getting in touch with someone at Minelab today about that and let everyone know on here. I guess what I meant by the pinpointing is what I should be looking for instead of listening for. By this I mean, say I pass over a "possible" target going to the left with my swing, and I register a 34 on my screen. Then when I pass back over to the right and get nothing. But then swing it again to the left, and it registers the 34 or a 33, should I then slightly lift the coil and hit pinpoint and then slowly go back over it to the right and watch to see if the bars start to rise? That's basicly what I meant with the pinpointing question on one way signals. And I assume if they do start to rise and then fall suddenly after going over this way signal that it could be a coin or some other coin sized object. But, if I get no rise in the bars going back over the target, then this means it was a false signal? So that's what I was trying to figure out. Thank's again Mike for any suggestions or feedback you could give on this pinpoionting question. Your advice is very much appreciated. Thank-you. Sincerely, Randy

Thanks, Mike, for the report. I assume you ment me about the EMF problems. I was surprised I got the falsing, because I was only about 200 feet or so from any power lines above, but m a y b e, they were burried and that's where the problem was. Boy if that's true, I and "we" collectivly better be careful what we dig if we think that could be the case. I think the big lines that are burried would be encased in pretty good shielding, but what if we break out the pick ax. I guess we all should be aware of that possibility.
As far as the sensitivity goes, wow, I think I may have it backwards. I always thought that the sensitivty problems were at the beach with the salt water and black sand, however, the beach places I go, don't have too much black sand. I can also understand how some of the parks and farms and places can have that iron type soil. I'll work on the sensitivity thing too. I guess you just have to try it in manual and see how far up the scale you can go without falsing.
Again, Mike, I really loved the pictures you sent a few days ago. It's so nice to have the pictures as well as the messages. Once again, the old guy was right: "A picture is worth a thousand words" but I think in our case the words are very important too, so don't get me wrong here, I just think it's a nice adjunct to have the pictures too. Happy hunting, Marc Trainor.

I think what Mike is saying is that if you get a signals there has to be a target there, if not it is a false signal. With pinpointing you will be in a all metal mode so now if you get one of your one way signals and go to pinpoint and see the target is louder 4 or 5 inches away you know the signal you got was a false signal off the very edge of a bad target. In most cases a good target will be a repeatable signal from both way, but there is exceptions, so I will try from a differnt direction or try the pinpoint to see if there is even a a target where it sounds like in the hunt mode. Many trash signals will give a spike on the very edge of the target that some mistake for a good signal as it may be high pitched, but only a good one will repeat and be in the same spot in pinpoint as it is in the hunt mode. I take many times and go to the pinpoint to accualy find the target after I feel it is one to check out and then when I know right were it is I will go to the hunt mode to ID it, if it nulls it is one I disc out and may have got a false signal off of it, if the tone stayed the same as before and didnt move before i went to pinpoint it is one I am digging.

Rick