Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is foil?

jmorton04

Learned Detectorists,
I know this is probably a dumb question, but what is the source of the foil that is often mentioned? Is it like the wrappers on fast food or something else? Is it aluminum foil? Is the shiny Mylar wrappers "foil"? It never occurred to me that there might be so much foil in the ground. I also thought that sea water would eat up alum. foil pretty quickly.
Thanks in advance for the enlightenment,
John Morton

foil is a pain in the behind when detecting

Everything from gum wrappers to pull tabs and everything in between. On the beach you get several of those paper aluminum backed juice seals that you have to pull off before drinking. I have dug very small pieces of which looks like it came from gum wrappers or candy. You name it and people throw it down.

BCOOP

I think in the beginning it was mostly gum wrappers wadded in a ball and tossed on the ground. Now in addition to that it's medicine blister packs to yogurt tops. Just about any thin sheet of aluminum used on about anything. The problem with all the foil trash is this is where a lot of gold lives. So we're always digging it up if seriously hunting for gold jewelry.

Foil comes in all sizes, weights , and shapes , and the numbers as with pull tabs , are ALL in the Gold range from bottom to top so you ears go up everytime you see a number or hear a tone in that range !!..... Not much you can do about it except DIG !!!.....Jim