Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is the best coil for gold. Hands down for an IDX?

Really it's all about getting your coil over gold jewelry and digging lots of trash. I would say a good coil for separation, depth and performance would be the 6 inch round concentric. Just leave it on for coins and jewelry.

Let me jump on the band wagon if I may because I have the same question except I'm asking about gold nuggets specifically.
I'm very new and just got myself a used MXT that came with the 9.5 eclipse coil.
I do frequent trips to Alaska for work and want to get out and look for nuggets.
I've purchased the EXcellerator concentric 6" and was still thinking I'd need another coil for prospecting.
Is that true do you think? If so would you recommend a particular coil for prospecting with the MXT?
I can post this in the MXT section too I guess but saw this thread and butted in.
Thanks.

For the MXT any of the Eclipse DD coils will do the job. The smaller the coil the smaller the nugget should pick up. Plus if your going in and around rock the smaller coils are best for this. I personally haven't hunted nuggets with the MXT so this is from what I've read from other posts. But I do know in general nugget hunting can be in some of the toughest ground you can hunt. So the choice would be a DD coil.

khouse said:
For the MXT any of the Eclipse DD coils will do the job. The smaller the coil the smaller the nugget should pick up. Plus if your going in and around rock the smaller coils are best for this. I personally haven't hunted nuggets with the MXT so this is from what I've read from other posts. But I do know in general nugget hunting can be in some of the toughest ground you can hunt. So the choice would be a DD coil.

Thanks for the reply khouse. I feel like I'm hi-jacking the thread and I hope the original poster doesn't mind.
The 6" Excellerator is sold as a DD coil so I gues that's good.
Just not sure what the coils sold as prospecting coils have over other coils.

There are different shapes of dd coils. I personally have found that a round dd coil goes a little deeper than the ovals. Any more info might be better posted in a prospecting or MXT forum as I have no experience with the MXT and nugget shooting. As far as the original post - There is nothing wrong with using DD coils for coin and jewelry hunting either. Most generally you give up some depth over a round concentric coil. But you get a little better coverage with a DD coil. Whatever coil you have just learn it well. The main reason people are not finding coins, jewelry and nuggets is they're not getting their coils over them. Plus you have to dig tons of trash to find gold jewelry.