Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is the most unusual and dangerous thing you have detected?

joemac

I was out with the Brisbane metal detecting club a few moths ago and one of the guys had a hit in a hollow tree trunk. He pulled out a vibrator, designed for a guy. Not sure what you call them.
What is the most unusual and dangerous thing you have detect?

Got a good signal from a boulder in an almost dry creek and when I lifted the boulder with my pick as a lever I came eyeball to eyeball with a somewhat largish coiled up Red Bellied Black. I gently lowered the boulder and never did find out what caused the signal.. All stones and pebbles are rocks but this rock was too big ta be a stone a pebble or a rock soze I called ut a boulder. :crazy: For youse Yanks a Red bellied black is a Joe blake. :rofl::rofl::ausflag:

Most "dangerous"
A 100 pound WWII bomb. Found overseas, in the woods. I wish we had known it was a practice bomb before we were told.

Most unusual...found by a friend, but it has anything I have found myself beat.
From the ocean, a softball size rock that had been chiseled out to accept a pair of wedding bands tied together with a lock of hair.

For myself; two class rings (1974 and 1975 from different schools) within a minute or so of each other, lost by one person and returned to the two owners 38 years later at the same time. See links of the return:

http://www.wggb.com/2013/11/23/class-rings-returned-after-38-years/?app=1&cat=276

http://www.masslive.com/living/index.ssf/2013/11/two_lost_class_rings_from_teen-age_romance_recovered_in_atlantic_after_38_years.html

Hi Rick
Great story and having all that publicity to back it up. Glad you didn't set the 100 pound bomb off.
I think this story will take some beating.

Hi Joe....

Not trying to beat anyone's story as I have enjoyed them all more than the story. I'm about to relay....

Last summer I was detecting with my nephew at a beautiful wildlife area...a real family sort of place that had a nice creek running through it...
I was hunting along the creek's sandy shoreline when I got a strong response so I move some sand with my foot and discovered a cache of
medical waste...mostly hypodermic needles and what not .... From some drug play....

What made this dangerous for me ... Was trying to recover all this stuff, all mixed up in the sand, without pricking myself on one of the many dirty needles....
I had no gloves and was using a Japanese garden knife to move sand...It was a delicate needle by needle hand recovery....

The wildlife officials were quite thankful..and mentioned ....they had no Idea about any activity like that..and realized right away that any barefoot person walking the sandy banks of the creek could easily have steped on those needles....

They also mentioned we could come anytime to do more detecting...:wiggle:

Cheers,

Tye

Regular occurance in the UK to find unexploded WW11 munitions. I have personally seen Hand grenades, Rifle grenades plus many shells and bombs much larger. I live in an area near the South Coast where a lot of your yank brothers were stationed during the practices for the D Day landings. Its amazing what they left behind. We have to go a little steady when digging because we never know whats coming up, it could be a 2000 year old Roman Brooch or cache of coins or something a lot more dangerous, lol.

Damn! Y'all hunt some tough country!

I'd rather run across a King Brown, Gaboon Viper, or an Eastern Diamondback than a live grenade, a bunch of used syringes, or some sort of male vibrator!:rofl: Good Lord!
Mud

Mudpuppy...

I guess you can learn a lot about humans.....when you did up their garbage...:detecting:

Cheers,

Tye

I thought there might be some ordinance turn up. I found quite few bullets at the weekend. The needles are a bit of a worry too.
Talking about garbage. The Queensland government allocated new fossicking areas a few months ago near Wawick. Really surprised to see the amount of old cans, bottles and wrappers being left. Also holes not being filled. Wouldn't be surprised if the government doesn't allocate anymore areas. Takes a lot less time to put back the dirt than it did to dig it :angry:

I was out hunting with a buddy. I get this great signal, dig it up and out comes a 2" square silver jewelry box. And to even compliment it further, it was wrapped with a string of pearls. I called my buddy over, told him that I just found the find of a life time. I pulled the box from my pocket, harrassed him some more with comments like "I wonder what could be in here." So, I slowly unwrapped the string of pearls, opened the lid and inside was a tiny dead frog. The name AXLE had been inscribed on the silver box, so I figured I had dug up AXLE'S Tomb. I threw that box into the woods with AXLE still inside as far as I could. I was pissed! :ranting: What a let down. My buddy laughed so hard that he wet his jeans......:rofl: