Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is the----------------

mtpockets

Best GPS unit out currently that is...

I was told that the Garmin GPS MAP 60 CSX was the top contender these day's....

I'm looking for a unit.... Honestly I haven't really used one yet...

I'm a hunter as-well and I would like a unit that would perform well under a Canopy of trees out in the boonies...

But I'm the type of person That I Prefer to Buy the Best this way I'm not disappointed later on...
Or
I buy a low cost unit and have nothing but Problems....

Can You Understand?

TIA

well Now I've found this unit....

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-GPSMAP-76CSx-microSD-handheld-GPS.asp

and it looks pretty Impressive...

I really like the Waterproof feature.....

There is no such a thing as "the best". There are always some things that some other model does / has better but never "all things".
Having said that; I'm pretty sure that you will be happy with the 76 CSx
For a very long time, my biggest problem with Garmin was reception in difficult conditions. In recent couple of years, Garmin improved a LOT in this department. Personally, I still think that Lowrance is the King when it comes to keeping lock in the woods but, the reality is that Garmin new units are so good that there is no practical difference.

And Being Totally " GREEN" to Gps units... Which software should I pick up for it first?

One May find me anywhere in terms of what I like to do....

I always seem to find myself On a Boat somewhere for a weekend, Or fishing, Camping, Hunting, THing, Wandering around the National forests In Arizona, Colorado, Utah, California, Florida,New York,Nevada, Washington..

And the List grows... Trail riding with either 4 Wheeler or bicycle..
and of-course I find time for work in order to fund these privileges..

Jeez I think I'm going to need a Vacation Just to Learn about all these new toy's...

Shame now that I'm picking up a GPS Unit I won't be able to get lost anymore..

I bought the 60CSX and it is very simple to use and Satilite reception is NO problem. I do alot of metal detecting in the woods and have not lost reception yet. I had a Rhino 120 and it was not good at all in the woods. Jusy my opinion. I believe the 76 and 60 are almost alike. You love it. JOE in MD

Well, if you were in Canada, I'd say "the maps and software that I sell" :thumbup: but for the USA, you can as well stick with Garmin OEM topo maps and maybe their fishing maps. This will cover most of what you really need the receiver for.
BTW Having GPS receiver means that the receiver knows where it is but, it doesn't necessarily mean that you always know where you are :jump: so, you can still get lost. The upside is, when you get lost and have a GPS receiver, it's rather easy to find yourself :devil:

Thanks Andrew ;).....

I went ahead and Bought the Garmin 76csx.

I found a good deal on GPSonSale.com $329.00 $40.00 cheaper then everywhere else pretty much...

I also picked up the Cigeratte Lighter Charger along with Neoprene Case.....

I figure I'll wait till I recieve the unit before I start getting any software for it...

Also Is it better to have the Software preinstalled on a memory card?

I think that by "software" you mean maps.
Maps pre-installed on memory cards are great for people who have problems finding their way around the electronic devices. No need to know much - just put the card in and you're done.
For people who have no problems using computers, I recommend maps that they load themselves onto the card. They are usually less expensive and they give more flexibility and (normally) allow loading several types of maps onto one card.

I have the garmin 60C I have had a few different units over the years and this is a great unit. I have garmin mapsource and with 56 mb I can load anywhere on it. It to is fun on a plane watching yourself fly along with speed and altitude although flight attendants frown on them:ranting: