Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is with Coins cut in half?

LawrencetheMDer

Half Coins.jpg

This year, on 2 different hunts to the same beach, I found a total of 4 coins fragments; that is, one half of a coin that was cut in half. The half coins included a quarter, 2 dimes and a cent. It appears that the coins were cut in half with some type of metal sheers since the cut edges are not clean-cut but rather sheered off. I found the partial coins on a beach that also produces a large number of cremation tags, melted balls of gold (dental tooth fillings) and most recently a pair of gold caps. I guess cut in half coins may have something to do with burial??? Any other guesses?

Attachments

• Half Quater.jpg
    Half Quater.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 122
  • Two Half Dimes.jpg
    Two Half Dimes.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 119
Good question. Last summer I was hunting an old farm house site and found 2/3 of a large cent. It was in beautiful condition despite having 1/3 missing; and of course the missing piece had the date on it, so I have no idea of the date. It was obviously cut with something, the cut being a perfect straight line. Almost like someone used it for a scraper. Geez!

In some cultures/religions,coins are still placed over the eyes of the dead to keep them closed.Some are cut to the shape of the eye rarther than putting a big round coin over the eyes.Haven't got a clue why its done but it still goes on.I assume if you are findng cremation tags etc these coins could be the result of people scattering relatives ashes on the beach.I don't think i'd want them in my finds collection.😊

In some cultures/religions,coins are still placed over the eyes of the dead to keep them closed.Some are cut to the shape of the eye rarther than putting a big round coin over the eyes.Haven't got a clue why its done but it still goes on.I assume if you are findng cremation tags etc these coins could be the result of people scattering relatives ashes on the beach.I don't think i'd want them in my finds collection.😊
According to mythological scriptures, the dead had to carry three silver coins with them to face the circumstances that might arise in the afterlife. Two coins in the eyes and one under the tongue. A forecast that was argued in the belief that the god Hades, master and lord of the Underworld, had imposed a kind of tax to transfer the waters of the Acheron river. A stream full of souls in pain who could not pay the most famous ferryman in Greek mythology: Charon. This custom was adopted by the Romans. The coins in the eyes and under the tongue were used to regain consciousness after death, since if you did not pay the ticket you would be condemned to wander for 100 years in the Underworld. The coins used were those of the lowest value at the time: the vital coin. A cash that for the Greeks received the name of obolus and for the Romans that of viaticum. Of course, since it is mythology, surely there are variants on the quantity and quality of the coins, and this custom, although it is always associated with the Greeks and Romans, was also practiced in the ancient Near East and in the Celtic and Germanic cultures.