Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What kind of ore/rock is this? :tesoro:

nwdetectorist

Hello fellow detectorists,

Does anybody have an ideas what I found at the park yesterday?

The rock/ore is silver colored flecks and is approx. 1.25" long, by 1" wide, by .585 thick and very heavy weighing as much as lead of the same size, maybe a bit more.

[attachment 136710 What_Ore.jpg]

Thanks for looking,

TOO MUCH DIRT, NOT ENUFF TIME!
nwdetectorist

Almost looks like black pyrite...Never seen anything quite like that...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28174303

neat looking rock though...

n/t

Thanks to Jim West and to GoGoGopher for the information on my little find from the park:)

TOO MUCH DIRT, NOT ENUFF TIME!

nwdetectorist

I go with galena a lead sulfide. It is fairly soft.

It could however be specular hematite, an iron ore.

I cannot hazard a guess as how you would tell them apart but I think galena has a cubic habit and hematite does not.

I am a geologist but my mineral skills are a bit rough.

If you look up images of both on line you may find a match. IE google images.

HH

Not iron , but could be Galena ? If i remember right ,Galena should have cleavable masses.
He found it in a park and it doesn't belong there. I don't know his location but I'm thinking
there is a foundry or steel mill not far a way and it fell off a rail car and someone found it
and droped it in the park . Only way to know for sure is to cut a sample and send it to a
lab for a chem check.
old fogy

Hows about a Streak test? Specific gravity? Fracture? If you want to know how to do these tests, e mail me and I will help you out. What is the location of the find? I can tell you pretty quickly if it is native ot not according to your area and test results. Parks can have fill dirt that could be from anywhere...

I see boxcars of this stuff go by here everyday on the way to Philadelphia. It's nickel ore I'll bet.

my area is known for mining galena. galena is crystal lead. most have almost perfect crystal cubes and should be very heavy for its size. dont let your children handle it.