Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What kinda rock is this?

Jodigirl

Found this rock or what I think is a rock but it is kinda odd. It has no weight to it like a rock of the same size does. It pulls away from a magnet . I've tried looking online but get so many different answers. I have some more rocks I'm curious about I'm going to post as well on a different post if you wanna take a look at those as well . Thanks
20240316_071512.jpg
20240316_071500.jpg

There is definitely some banding in it. Gneiss would be an option. I see somebody mentioned jet in another post, but that would be relatively soft and easy to scratch. The rounding and the shininess of the surface along with your next post (Portland area) makes me think basalt and flow banding. But if it is really hard (cannot scratch with a knife blade) then it might be a dark jasper.