Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What length is your favorite digging tool?

I am considering buying a digging tool for the local parks. Forget the hand digger for me. Back and knees won't allow that. I see lengths of 18", 28" , 31", 36" etc... I understand big diggers may cause problems at the park, but 18" seems a little short too. I'd love to hear comments from those who have a lot more experience than I have digging in the dirt. Also, what kind of reactions have you received by park goers? Thanks

I use the regular small Lesche Digger and the Samson Pro-Series 31" T handle with serrated edge and love them both.
I've been using these for years and don't feel the need for anything else.

I'm 6" tall and 31" is the perfect length for comfortable digging and carrying.
I wouldn't want anything longer than 31" and I personally think the 18" tools are much to short.
I much prefer the "T" handle to the ball handled diggers.

There is a belt carrier available for "T" handle diggers.
The "T" handle also makes a nice tamping tool for replacing a plug or filling the hole.

That's just the kind of information I'm looking for. I am also 6' and those were 2 brands that I was looking at. There is also Predator tools who I believe are related to Lesche. Do you like using the belt holder or do you just carry in your other hand? Thanks

I still have the holder but prefer to carry the Sampson in my hand ( it's not heavy at all and I might add ... it's VERY strong).

I found the belt holder to be a decent item but over time it became more of a novelty than a useful item so I no longer use it.

Here's my experience....
1. If you plan to walk a long way without detecting (like to the hunt site), the carrier may be useful (but not to me).

2. If the tool is in the carrier it becomes a nuisance whenever you bend sown, crouch or kneel for any reason. The digging end will very often hit the ground and either pop out of the holder or get pushed up into some part of your body (very uncomfortable). I found that very discouraging.

3. I use the tool so often, that putting it in, and taking it out of the holder all the time becomes more of a task than its worth.

I did read that Lesche, Predator, Sampson are all related companies as far as products but I don't remember that details. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I'm considering the Samson T handle 31 inch also and another use is helping me get up sometimes. Makes a good way to push yourself off the ground if you have trouble in this area or bending over. FrankG, how do you keep yours sharp? I have a hard time with my hand digger. The serrated blade that is supposed to cut thru small roots is hard to sharpen.

fongu said:
I'm considering the Samson T handle 31 inch also and another use is helping me get up sometimes. Makes a good way to push yourself off the ground if you have trouble in this area or bending over. FrankG, how do you keep yours sharp? I have a hard time with my hand digger. The serrated blade that is supposed to cut thru small roots is hard to sharpen.

You're spot on... I use it to help get up all the time. I'm old, and it's great.

I sharpen mine a couple times a year (both the Lesche Hand tool and the Sampson). I do them by hand using a flat file. I put them in a vise and file ALL the backside edges only where they were originally ground. I simply flat file the edges until they "feel" sharp (ie un-rounded). I feel there's really no need to get "into" the serration slots. The pointy tips get sharp when you do the edges and that's what does the bulk of the work. You could use a grinder or Dremel tool on the edges but a flat file works for me because I don't let it get to bad before touching it up. I also think a Dremel or grinder probably removes more metal than necessary to get the job done.

As far as the serrated edge goes.... in practice, they are definitely not going to do large roots but it makes short work of small underground roots and vines. What dulls the heck out of them is digging in bank gravel and stone powder packed trails and parking lots. If I'm digging in fields or in the woods they stay sharp for a very long time, No surprise there.

Just put in my order for a Lesche T-Handle Serrated Shovel 31" and Lesche Digging Tool Right Side Serrated. Thanks for the great advise. One thing I've learned in life, tools that you use a lot need to be top notch. I expect to put these things to the test.

They are fairly expensive but worth every penny. I don't think you'll be disappointed
Happy Digging !

Use as small a device you can when in public.

When I see videos our pictures of detectorists carrying a shovel in public park while hunting makes me quiver.

I use a 12" shank screw driver.

Southwind said:
Use as small a device you can when in public.

When I see videos our pictures of detectorists carrying a shovel in public park while hunting makes me quiver.

I use a 12" shank screw driver.

2x on this.

Rich (Utah)

While I dont get to dig with it enough, I like my 30" lesche t-handle shovel.

I find that the length of the Garrett digging tool/Lesche tool, etc. are all just about perfect.

I too find its best to try and use the smallest tool possible if in public/parks/etc.

That said, I use my Garrett digging tool (for land areas/park areas) or sand scoop (for the beaches) almost exclusively.

Once in a while I may visit an old school yard or somewhere not frequented by many people and not out in such public view....then I may break out the spade for the hard packed gravel areas.

I only beach hunt and use my trusty shovel with a small hand made sifter to retrieve my finds, fast and efficient, only takes a couple seconds and gives me more time to detect. Just a regular garden shovel. I use my aluminum long shaft scoop in the shallow wet sand .. I average about 5 dollars on each hunt with some silver and gold finds at times., that's for a full day of hunting in high traffic areas.