Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What machine should I buy?

19corvette77

I just want an honest opinion. I had a safari and sold it after I had knee surgery and now I want to get back into the hobby. I like the safari but I've been researching and if I'm going to have just one machine (for coin and jewelry mostly) what about the garret GTI 2500, whites MXT, Technetic T2 or the Fisher F75. The reason I listed these is that at kellyco they have all of these listed under there demo or refurbished for about the same price as well as the safari and in this day and age money is always a factor. Don't get me wrong , I loved my safari but I'm just trying to make a wise purchase.
Thank Vince

I have researched and used a lot of detectors.
I cannot comment on the GTI. Never owned or used one.
If you want coins and jewelry only, forget the MXT and get the M6. The MXT is for those who also want to relic hunt and prospect. They both get the same depth.
the T2 and the F75 are both made by First Texas and very similar. I have not used either, but the biggest complaints I hear are that they run very hot, are very chatty, and prone to EMI problems. And others love them. So it's all about your goals.
All I can recommend is do your research into all the units and pick the best for you based on what you learn.

Thanks CladDog, there are so many choices out there its more work getting that part figured out than it is hunting and a whole lot less fun!

I recommend a Garrett AT-Pro it works quite well on coins and can be easily bought(New or used) at great prices. Check with Bart at BigBoysHobbies.com he will give you a great deal!!

I own 2 detectors, the F75 (original) and Safari. Both are great and have different pros and cons, but if I could only keep one, it would be the F75.
Below are my pros & cons for each.

Good Luck!
Bart

F75 Pros

- The balance is the best I've used. You can swing it all day long
- Lightning fast recovery speed
- Battery life on 4AAs is over 30 hours
- Back light. It's actually on all the time, but you only notice it when it's dark
- Great for gold jewelry

F75 Cons

- Can be very affected by EMI and is 'chatty' at times, which means you have to mentally work harder at times to catch the good signals
- Doesn't work well on wet salt sand

Safari Pros

- Runs quietly, not affected much by EMI
- Can find the good targets in trashy areas
- Excellent in the salt sand
- Very easy to save and load 4 custom discrimination settings. I did have an ETrac, but traded for a Safari + cash because I love how setting and loading the Safari programs is so fast/easy.
- Uses 8AA batteries that last less than 15 hours

Safari Cons
- Not the best balanced, seems a lot heavier than F75
- Recovery speed is slower
- Can't get to close to metal fences or play equipment in tot lots like you can with the F75

Thanks 88junior I'll give him a look and see what he has, but I really liked my safari so I'm not sure if I'd get the AT Pros even thought the AT Pro is also one that I had been looking at.

psyvad Thanks for the comments. I'm wondering if the F75 is chatty , would that be bad for me since I wear hearing aids? I could leave them off but was hoping to wear them to help with tone recognition. Maybe someone will comment on this since I've never used hearing aids while metal detecting yet and who knows how that will work. Thanks Vince

I would disagree that you cant get close to metal fencing with the Safari. As long as you swing parallel to the fence, you can get within a few inches before overloading. Overhead metal, like swing chains, within a few feet will be picked up tho (yep, Feet, thats right).

Why dont you check out the for sale ads here on the forum? You might find a good buy on a safare that a newbe got and did take the time to learn how to use it. Like new, Sometimes with warenty left over.....KEN

Ken, I did look and I didn't see any right now but I intend to keep looking and hopefully one will turn up. I also saw a refurbished at Kellyco but the price was to high and I could get a new one with extras for not much more. Thanks for the suggestion Vince

Vince, Keep looking on them adds. I seen some back a few mounths old. Just keep searching. It might be an old add, but it might not have sold. I found a compadre that was for sale about 5 mounths old. I got it really cheap. Still very good detector. ...KEN

Hi Vince - Not to make it more difficult, but I own both the Safari and MXT and to be honest I see no difference in performance and enjoy using both. The MXT is better constructed - built like a tank. The Safari with its newer technology, is more flexible in programming and offers a nice selection of options in its set-up. The prospecting and relic modes in the MXT, to me, are a plus and come in handy in some conditions. Also if money is a consideration, at $700 the MXT would be a great choice. You can

So here's my take

You owned a Safari and know how it's to be used. Your trained and can start up and running.

You dn't know the other detectors and would have to learn how they work and stabilize...

Really it's obvious... Don't get another Safari, we don't want the competition.

Start on something new and live as a trainee for some time....

:rofl:

You asked tis in the Safari forum and expect us to ok your jumping to another machine.. OK do it..

Me, I'd stick to what I know. Half of MD is learning the machine... Yo really want to start over...

Get a swingy thingy ...