Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

what magnet and tools do you use with compadre?

I picked up a strong doughnut magnet that I attach to my orange handle Jobe shovel knife with side serrations for roots. It helps quicken the time removing the abundant iron trash, but the magnet seems a bit odd attached to the blade and potentially dangerous given the sharp serrations. How do you use your magnet? Is it attached to a tool? I looked at the ultralight jobe pick with magnet in the shrouded top, but a pick didn't seem as useful to my soils as the jobe knife. Do you carry many tools?

Rare Earth Magnets From Fleabay.
PVC pipe, collar, cap,
The idea was another forum member's idea.

Mark

And it's all packed like this (the magnet was added later)
And it doesn't matter what detector I carry, the tools are the same!

Mark

Nice setup Mark, and thanks for sharing! I always thought it would be interesting for a show your tool belt thread.

Scanman

MarkCZ said:
PVC pipe, collar, cap,

Mark
Thanks 'Scanmam'
When I made the magnet stick I put TWO round rare earth magnets in the end, if I had it to do over again I may have put three magnets in it, although two works good.

Mark

MarkCZ said:
MarkCZ said:
PVC pipe, collar, cap,

Mark
Thanks 'Scanmam'
When I made the magnet stick I put TWO round rare earth magnets in the end, if I had it to do over again I may have put three magnets in it, although two works good.

Mark

thats an awesome idear there mark...... im in a heavy iron rich area and can use such a tool. wonder if the magnets can be gotten local? :shrug:

thats an awesome idear there mark...... im in a heavy iron rich area and can use such a tool. wonder if the magnets can be gotten local? :shrug:
Well, I would say so at any good hobby shop, but at a price! I found them on fleabay for cheap in different numbered lots with shipping included. I got a lot of 6 and I made two other magnet sticks, one for each of my two brothers.
I used 1/2", but the original idea was to use 3/4" pipe and 3/4" magnets.

Mark

Regardless. i'll come up with something. appreciate it.

HH<Spider

if I go to a soccer field i use the TRX pinpointed, a lesch knife and have a backup 2" x 18 Wilcox trowel i usually use the lesch to poke & pry out targets I mostly use the magnet when in heavy trash or wanting to clean up a crusty old metal can I like that magnet you have , good to use an N 52 neodymium magnet if possible its one of the strongest .

Its nice to see what other detectorists use tools and equipment wise,but what concerns me is what effect could these very powerful magnets have on the detectors ie the control boxes ??? we are all aware that its recommended not to have any form of magnet based material near digital camera,memory chips,computers infact anything chip based.So what is the differance between the equipment that has these magnet warning on and a detector control box as i cannot see much differance in it myself.

When you have a very powerful magnet attached to what ever on your belt and its inches away from your detector could the possibility of the magnet cause major problems,this is why i never carry one on my belt or near any electrical equipment,i do carry a large special magnet for river fishing from bridges ect looking for stolen item that have been dumped in the river but i always keep it well away from my detecting gear as that does come with a massive warning sticker on it highlighting the problems that i have mentioned above.

n/t

MarkCZ said:
Well, I would say so at any good hobby shop, but at a price! I found them on fleabay for cheap in different numbered lots with shipping included. I got a lot of 6 and I made two other magnet sticks, one for each of my two brothers.
I used 1/2", but the original idea was to use 3/4" pipe and 3/4" magnets.

Mark

Home depot carries Neodymium magnets in the hardware/nuts and bolts section

Do the garret pin pointers have to touch a target to signal or just be an inch or two away? I priced them on ebay and it seems $127 is around the best price. Do they signal all metals? Would it compliment my Compandre nicely or is it for high end detectors?

So magnets can harm Tesoro units?

heavymetalbeeper said:
Do the garret pin pointers have to touch a target to signal or just be an inch or two away? I priced them on ebay and it seems $127 is around the best price. Do they signal all metals? Would it compliment my Compandre nicely or is it for high end detectors?

So magnets can harm Tesoro units?

No they do not have to touch metal to sound off, very tiny things like BB's you have to get closer to than lets say a coin. The pro-pointer hits on coins out close to 2 inches.

Mark

Mega B said:
Its nice to see what other detectorists use tools and equipment wise,but what concerns me is what effect could these very powerful magnets have on the detectors ie the control boxes ??? we are all aware that its recommended not to have any form of magnet based material near digital camera,memory chips,computers infact anything chip based.So what is the differance between the equipment that has these magnet warning on and a detector control box as i cannot see much differance in it myself.

When you have a very powerful magnet attached to what ever on your belt and its inches away from your detector could the possibility of the magnet cause major problems,this is why i never carry one on my belt or near any electrical equipment,i do carry a large special magnet for river fishing from bridges ect looking for stolen item that have been dumped in the river but i always keep it well away from my detecting gear as that does come with a massive warning sticker on it highlighting the problems that i have mentioned above.

I'm going to say no. Now LARGE electro magnets, or very large ceramic magnets may be another story, but small fixed magnets I don't see how they could cause any problems with the detectors. Now older detectors with analog meters the magnets could mess with them a bit, but you would have to actually put the magnet up next to the meter face.
Magnet's really mess with CRT tubes, old computer monitors, the older TV sets, and those magnetic stripes on things like charge cards (AC magnets will actually erase these strips).
Also I wouldn't think anybody would ware their tools on the same side they swing their detector with. I swing right handed, so my tool ride on my left side.
Another thing about these small high powered rare earth magnets is there field is very dense but doesn't extend outward as much as say a ceramic type magnet of much less strength. I can put a paper clip on top of my desk and a 60 pound pull rare earth magnet under the desk will not move the paper clip, but a ceramic magnet of maybe only 10 pound pull will move the paper clip allover the desk.

I think our metal detectors are pretty safe around a homemade magnet stick using the small rare earth magnets.

Mark