Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What name brand do you believe has found more coins, gold, relics and or treasure?

Don’t take things too personal man. Everyone enjoys this hobby differently. How someone wants to do it is totally up to them. Money , detectors, what they hunt. If you want to use a $2000 detector as a door stop thats your prerogative.
Do whatever makes you happy. Thats the purpose of a hobby. Alls i was saying is if someone is going to want to make a living out of it making lots of money hunting with a detector this class of current technology detectors is probably not going to cut it.
You might make enough to pay for some detectors and gas money but to pay your mortgage and all your other expenses is a bit of a stretch. I could be wrong.
DigDog, I don't take things personally on a detecting forum. Life is to short. I may have missed something, but where was making a living with a detector ever mentioned? 99% of the people on this forum are most likely coin/jewelry and relic hunters and all know one can't make a living doing either. I also don't know of anyone that uses a $2000. detector as a door stop. But, you would be right, it would be their prerogative and certainly not a concern of someone else. Mortgage and other expenses??? I must have missed that being said somewhere, too. HH jim tn

Don’t get me wrong I’m not knocking what someone does or spends their money on. I’ve always said location location location.
Unfortunately for me im not in a very target”rich” area. I buy pretty decent detectors and pretty much dig everything even trash because it interests me. There is only very little modern clad, junk jewelry and rarely an actual real gold or silver piece of jewelry.
It’s actually the odd pieces of metal
ferrous and non that make it interesting.
There’s no old coins so i don’t hunt for coins and don’t really use the vdi as i pretty much dig anything.
Ive had many say why buy a expensive detector for the way you hunt, just a simple beep and dig will do.
Well yep but what i buy and how i use it should be of no concern to anyone else
It gives me something to do to get a break and its how i enjoy it.
I am the last one doing it to actually make money or even “pay for my detector” .
If i want to walk the beach or park and just pick up trash thats my prerogative.
Im not “treasure” hunting per say all im saying and i think its a fact that the majority of recoverable “ good finds” have already been found with the current technology we use and its probably going to take a new technology to find the majority of what hasn’t.
Not saying someone not going to still find stuff here and there as people still lose things all the time but if someone thinks they are going to find a whole bunch of old silver coins missed by other detectors in hunted out areas just because they spent $1600 on a latest and greatest detector good luck.
Most detectors will find stuff in areas not hunted well or at all
DD... you state your not in a target rich area ? Do you have any neighborhoods that have turn-of-the-century homes maybe with-in a 25-30 minute drive of where you live ? Damm, if ya do start knocking on some doors, or start net-working with co-workers, somebody-everybody knows of where the old houses stood at one time, or even knows who ownes the old place "right around the corner". Do some work, put some effort in.... you'll be amazed at what will come to light.

Mark ( ohio )

DD... you state your not in a target rich area ? Do you have any neighborhoods that have turn-of-the-century homes maybe with-in a 25-30 minute drive of where you live ? Damm, if ya do start knocking on some doors, or start net-working with co-workers, somebody-everybody knows of where the old houses stood at one time, or even knows who ownes the old place "right around the corner". Do some work, put some effort in.... you'll be amazed at what will come to light.

Mark ( ohio )
Lol I don’t know what part of Ohio you are in but go to the “turn of the century” neighborhoods around here and you are likely to get shot , stabbed or worse.
Other than the tourist beaches everywhere else within a couple hour ride outside the “old neighborhoods” is newly developed. 20 years ago i was one of only 3 houses on my street. Woods around me constantly been getting cleared since and new construction going on all the time. Every year been a new house going up on my street
Some areas were just orange groves as far as you can see.
My neighborhood used to be deserted woodland that was used as a bombing range training ground during WWII.
Outside of that is alot of nature preserve and national forests that are government property. All of limits to metal detecting.
Thats how desolate the area is.
Few areas on the coast dating back during civil war but again off limits.
Its not a old developed state like alot of other states.
Living right on the coast with alot of woods in between.
The state is 500 miles long and takes 10 hours to drive through. Alot of swamp land.
I think i know the area

I have found gold with every detector I put the coil to the soil .. Right now I use the XP DEUS .. I have found good stuff people have passed on because the VDI did not look right for them to dig it up ..
If you can find a detector that you can understand what it is telling you .. That has to be your go to detector..
I am 63 6' 4 ' 280 pds .. I can out last younger people ready to throw in the towel for the day.
I may did lots of trash ( It will not be there next time) BUT if you are not digging you are not finding anything
Main thing is.. It giving me lots of exercise ..........................

I basically dig everything because as i said there really isn’t alot of good stuff so unless you dig everything your not going to really get much. It’s something to do and exercise.
Its all location and here its like an episode of duck dynasty with a beach lol
We are primarily a beach detecting state
Alot of beach detecting going on and I don’t know last time someone pulled a 1800’s coin on the beach. Nobody hardly wears jewelry anymore so that leaves alot of pulltab hunting
The very very few old settled areas outside the beach areas are now places you would go to buy crack or meth.
The rest is just woods and swamp land