Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What one is best

azdigger

Not sure witch machine is better , I have an MXT an a MX Sport...........
Both seem to have no problem finding coins. I have several coils for the MXT ,13"ultimate , 4x6 ,DD2 , stock and a 6x10....
The MX Sport just has the stock DD coil.
Can anyone tell me the difference and why I should keep one or the other or BOTH.
Thanks

Two great machines! Many folks would love to have that problem! If it was me, I would see it as time for testing-sorta a Monte approach- and deciding for myself. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

azdigger said:
Not sure witch machine is better , I have an MXT an a MX Sport...........
Both are good detectors, and some offer everything some detector owners care to have in a detector. I got an original MXT in early '01 and liked it, but I much prefer the MXT Pro, or All-Pro ... [size=small]which is the same model with an 'All' decal on the side[/size]. they worked the introduction bugs out of the MX Sport and it is also a very good detector, the main difference between them is the MX Sport is a waterproof / submersible design. The MXT series and MX Sport, and now the land-based MX-7 that shares the basic circuitry, are different detectors. The MX-7 and MX Sport are not simply fixed-up MXT's, but are different circuitry designs.

I might get an MX Sport in the future, if I plan to hunt in the rain, but my preference is the newer MX-7 and the MXT All-Pro for typical land-based searches. So, in my case, I might ask which of these two is 'best,' and that isn't an easy answer. I prefer the open-frame or 'spider' design 9" Concentric coil on my MXT All-Pro compared with the old-style 950 Concentric with my MX-7, so my MXT All-Pro gets a slight nod for standard-size coil use. The MX-7, however, has the 7" Double-d coil available for it from White's, and made for them by Detech, that is not available for the MXT All-Pro, so give a nod to the MX-7.

Both, however, have ... [size=small]or will soon have[/size] ... the 6½" Concentric coil available for them which is my personal general-purpose favorite coil on both of these models. There are times I do grab my MX-7 w/7" DD Detech coil, not available for the MXT All-Pro, and I do like it which gives the MX-7 a step up on the MXT All-Pro, at ,least for me.

azdigger said:
Both seem to have no problem finding coins.
Very true. The MX-7 is really getting most of my attention lately due to the light weight and comfortable feel, combined with the way it performs.

azdigger said:
I have several coils for the MXT ,13"ultimate , 4x6 ,DD2 , stock and a 6x10....
The MX Sport just has the stock DD coil.
I have tried all the White's factory coils on the MXT series models, and a lot of the aftermarket offerings as well. None impressed me for the types of sites I hunt more than the 6½", 9" and 950 Concentric coils.

I have also used all of White's available coils on the MX-Sport or MX-7, and have narrowed my preferences to the 6½" Concentric, 7" DD made by Detech and the 950 Concentric.

azdigger said:
Can anyone tell me the difference and why I should keep one or the other or BOTH.
This is the difficult question to answer because we all have our own likes and dislikes about detector and adjustment features, about search coil types and sizes, and we also often hunt different types of sites.

The MXT was upgraded to the MXT Pro / All-Pro before being discontinued, and of the MXT 'series' my favorite has been the MXT Pro / All-Pro. Very versatile for almost any type of hunting you might do with the exception of submersing it. The MCX Sport is a completely new circuitry design offering you more adjustment fuc=nctions, and it is a submersible / waterproof detector, if that is something you want or need.

If I had an original MXT and an MX Sport, the MXT would have been gone long ago.

In my case, today I have the MXT All-Pro and with the two coils I prefer it is still just as good of a performer as it was before the MX Sport hit the market. I also have two MX-7's, right now, but will have 3 of them as soon as Priority Mail is delivered today. My primary-use MX-7 has the 6½" Concentric coil mounted, and is in my vehicle now as I'll be heading off for a day of ghost towning as soon as mail arrives this morning. My 2nd MX-7 is at-the-ready with the 7" DD Detech coil mounted. I like it for certain applications, and it is also the coil I use when I am doing any Beach Hunting.

Today's arrival will be set up with the same program/mode settings as the other two and will have the stock 950 Concentric coil mounded for more open-area searches. That's just how I am as I prefer to have a functional detector/coil set-up rather than experience down-time to do the coil swapping thing. I keep 2 FORS CoRe and 2 FORS Relic units in my Regular-Use Detector 'Team' as well, each sporting the search coils I will use most often, so having 3 MX-7's seems to fit right in with my way of doing things. :wacko:

Matter of fact, even though I really like the MXT All-Pro, it is kind of excess equipment for me to hang onto now, and with the arrival of my 3rd MX-7, I think I will be parting with MXT All-Pro and two or three other detectors as I thin my detector 'Team' a bit. I didn't think I would, but I'm just not using it. If you are using both of your units, then you might just as well jeep them. If you find one is sitting dormant too long, let it go.

Monte

Thanks for an eye opening discussion....might just get me an MX7 and get rid of the MXT and MX Sport...I live in AZ so not a lot of water to hunt in in the desert.

I would get the 5.3 concentric for the MXT Pro and call it a day.

I would vote for an MXT Pro over both of those other 2...as well as a bunch of other units not mentioned !

JMHO

Monte, what features (performance, weight, bells, whistles, etc.) distinguish the MX-7 from from the All-pro so much that you would get rid of the AP? Just asking

After reading and testing again , I think I might sell the MX Sport and keep the MXT...got more choices for coils for the MXT.....
What would a good price be for a used Sport....550.00 sound about right ?

Frank L said:
Monte, what features (performance, weight, bells, whistles, etc.) distinguish the MX-7 from from the All-pro so much that you would get rid of the AP? Just asking
I will clear up a few thoughts ahead of time. The MXT All-Pro and XLT use the same control housing, rod and grip system and are essentially the same weight and balance with a similar search coil, with the exception being the size and shape of the visual display pod. I like both models, but am keeping this XLT in my working detector 'team' mainly because I just happen to like the XLT's design and in-the-field performance.

My mobility isn't like it was when I was a younger fella and put in long hunt days without stopping for more than a 15 to 30 minute lunch break. Not only when some of us age we aren't younger any more, buy we just aren't as spry as we used to be. I envy those who can move about unhampered, bend and stoop and get up easily, and stand straight and sound with a sturdy back. I can't. Since mid-'83, when I was more flexible and bendable than today, I have usually had at least two Tesoro models on-hand and have enjoyed them for their light weight, comfortable balance, and as time has gone by I have enjoyed less fatigue using them.

I have a very bad back and my doctors have encouraged me, since '91, to give up the metal detecting hobby. Too much repetitive bending and stooping and standing and twisting, and too much time with my head dropped looking down at the search coil and ground. In March of '91, twenty-seven years ago, doctors have me further encouragement to be very careful or even step away from the sport I enjoy. I have a really bad back, tip-to-tail, two bad shoulders including the one I injured, again, twelve days ago. The left side of me has a leg-long blood clot, groin-to-ankle, that keeps that leg swollen due to water retention. A knee with tor ligament, cartilage, tendon and meniscus. Then the medical term for my left foot is 'modified' which simply means part of it got whacked off due to infection in the bone thanks to my diabetes.

They gave me a walker in 2001 because of my terrible mobility and inability to walk any distance or stand for prolonged periods without rest. Those who know me and are around me a lot can verify my impaired health. But my mind is still strong, and that means I can be very determined, and now starting my 54th year enjoying this great sport, as best I can, I have to do all that I can to take it easier on myself in order to still enjoy what I am doing.

The first thing I consider is using a detector and coil combination that are as light and well balanced as possible. The MX-7 is just that, and of all my Target ID models, it is the lightest and most comfortable to use, especially with the 6½" Concentric coil mounted or the 7" Detech DD coil in use. They are just a bit better balanced than my Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric coil ... just a bit.

The second thing I always consider with any detector is that it is 'Simple' to operate with easily accessed controls that are straight forward and handy. The MX-7 is a one-handed operation device, whereas the MXT All-Pro requires two hands if I want to change the Gain, the Discrimination, switch search modes, or toggle from Locked GB to Auto-Tracking.

Third on my list of evaluating what a detector might offer me is how 'Functional' is it? What does it offer me that is different from what I have or had been using? Here is where the new MX-7 really got my attention:

• Let me get this out of the way first ... I really like the Bengal Orange color. :thumbup:

• Easy-to-access controls with ....

• Very Functional adjustment features.

• Nice sized display read-out.

• Simple Lock and Un-Lock the Tracking option with ...

• Simple check of the current Ground Balance setting during operation in ANY search mode. The MXT 'series' only provided that in the All Metal Prospecting mode.

• Ability to adjust preferred function settings for each of the 6 search modes.

• Retains any changes you made during a search when you turn it off for a quick start-up at the last settings ... and that includes holding the Ground Balance setting.

• Very impressive depth-of-detection.

• Reject Volume ... [size=small]kind of similar but different from brands that have Iron Audio Volume adjustment[/size].

• More audio Tone ID options, that do work quite well.

• On-the-fly Threshold and Sensitivity adjustment.

• The 7" Double-D open-frame search coil made by Detech. A handy coil for some applications, and the one I will use for any shallow water hunting is it isn't buoyant like the solid body 6½" and 950 Concentric coils.

There are a few other little differences, but that should get the mains ones across for me.

Monte

Holy sch--to, Monte, I am amazed that you are still upright, but this hobby will do that. Keeps you going. I only have 51+ years in the hobby but always looking to learn or experiment with something new. A very comprehensive assessment of your choices. The mx-7 may be my next choice as I too am no longer capable of all-day efforts. To quote. George C Scott in Patton, "God help me, I love it so". Keep the faith, bud, and keep on stroking.