Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What size coil should I consider for hunting in woods?

yogaguy

Hi all. I own the Quattro and I have the stock 10.5 inch coil and an 8 inch coil for it. I was going up to my uncle's farm this weekend to get some detecting in. He has an old homestead site on his land just below a small valley. I was down by it last year during the summer time and it was all grown up with weeds at that time. So my uncle told me to come up in April after the snow has knocked down all the weeds. The homestead sits in a wooded area with woods all around the back of the home. I was told by my uncle that an old road used to go up to the main road from the back of the home, (which has since been overgrown with trees now). I would like to search this old road, as best as possible,and as much of the woods near the house as I can. I was also told that the property was purchased from the original owners back in 1936 by my relatives. Since that time, the only activity on the property has been the farming of crops in the fields near the old home site. So I'm also guessing I could use little or no discrimination in the area near the house and in the woods too? I was just wondering what other's thought about the idea of using little or no discrimination and what size coil would be best? Thank-you. HH. Sincerely, Randy

For general "woods" the stock 10.5 coil in all metal mode is good. I like to use high trash settings also. IF I get near an old foundation with all kinds of trash/iorn you will need to go to the smaller coil.

Mirage

Hi Mirage. Thank's for the suggestions and help. I'll try the stock coil and switch if it gets rough around any foundations. Thank's again! HH. Sincerely, Randy

I was working the woods a couple weeks ago in extremely trashy area with lots of brush, this area is also on the side of a mountain This was a old tobagin slide dating back to the late 1800's. I hit this area with the 10" coil and came out with 1918 wheatie and a 1960 lincoln cent along with a few newer coins. I really could not complain since I got the 1918 but really was wondering what I could do with a smaller coil. So I ordered a 5" excelerator coil, it just arrived yesturday so I can't wait to try it out in this area. I really feel based on the amount of trash that I will pick up more coins that I may have missed with the larger coil.

Hi Black Davy. I guess I'll try both coils then. I have the smaller coil with the extra rod, so changing coils would'nt take long at all. So I will try both coils for a while. Hunt with one for a few hours, then maybe go back over the area with the smaller (or larger) coil again. I was just wondering because I heard the larger coil will go deeper, but you can miss smaller stuff that the small coil would find, and vice-versa with the other coil? So I'll just switch between them. Thank's again for the advice. Nice finds too that you made on the hillside! HH. Sinceely, Randy