Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What the frequency counter says.

I hooked up a frequency counter up to my Explorer SE today because I wanted to see it go completely batty with those 28 frequencies. What actually happened surprised me. If you want to try this unscrew the switch box to your Sun ray probe and connect a frequency counter it to the wires coming out of the shaft.

here's the results: When selecting Noise cancel channels manually here's what the frequency counter reading was:

Channel 1. is 16.12 khz
Channel 2. is 15.70 khz
Channel 3. is 15.27 khz
Channel 4. is 14.87 khz
Channel 5. is 14.50 khz
Channel 6. is 14.12 khz
Channel 7. is 13.78 khz
Channel 8. is 13.45 khz
Channel 9. is 13.13 khz
Channel 10. is 12.86 khz
Channel 11. is 12.56 khz

Now when you hit the auto noise cancel button it scrolls through these frequecies plain as day one for each of those audio tone it gives off. The frequency counter reflects what channel it's on.
I expected this multifrequency detector to generate some lower frequencies, like 2.7 khz. but maybe my frequency counter only can read around 12- 15 khz
with all those other 27 frequencies being generated as stated in the companies information. What do you all think?

Sorry to tell you this but you are using the wrong type of instrument. What's being transmitted is a complex waveform and your counter depending on how it is adjusted is locking onto what it finds most convenient. Below is an example of the waveform with various rising & falling edges which your counter could be locking on to. Also notice the small horizontal blue markers(lines), the signal is processed in the time domain and the algorithms(software) of the computing engine is where the magic happens in comparison to frequency domain processing used in non-BBS/FBS detectors.

[attachment 133105 Bruce.gif]

This technology was developed by Bruce Candy PhD with continued research into new technology by himself and Laurence Stamatescu PhD a physicist at Minelab. Dr. Stamatescu recently presented an interesting paper for peer review to SPIE concerning a new Minelab technology called MFDD. Whether this new technology will find it's way from their de-mining arena over into the Hobby side remains to be seen. But with each frequency having a dynamic range of 120dB this is hot stuff! :hot:

http://spie.org/x648.html?product_id=819241

HH
BarnacleBill

OK, over my head.... but i do know if those were the freq the SE would be way more accurate at finding gold and may not be as deep running. Hey Bill... i finally thought i was going to get an answer as to the random settings freq for each channel. I just dont see how anyone can affectively set their detector manually without this info. I dont know why Minelab wants to keep this such a big secret since we know the SOV is set at a fixed setting of 1.5 kHz. I appreciate THEBEAT trying to figure this out. Just wonder why Minelab would even make a manual option without enough info to use it effectively.

I have the wrong test equipment and this equipment conveniently finds the 12-16 khz range to read out of 1khz up to 15 Megahertz that the meter is capable of reading. Well in any case, What ever frequencies it cycles through on Noise cancel it is the same channels in the manual setting, I guess a lot of people know this already. To me it makes sense to turn power up to a max setting and then noise cancel and then back off on the power. Maybe someone with a fancy spectrum analyzer can do a test as well. I say 12- 15 Khz goes to the coil. what happens after that, who knows? All I know is the frequency counter reads right on single frequency machines but I know that Minelab technology is too complicated to be explained. I have found some 22 bullets and small silver rings six inches or so so I know that it can find small things. I wouldn't be supprised to find gold. I beleave that the reason why gold is underfound by explorer users alegedly is because they are spoiled and are drawn to the coin sounds. There are reports of finding 22 shells 10" deep on this forum and that is no small feat. Minelab has the right technology and they are under no obligation to share but we have the right to find out!