Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What the Garrett ATX Needs to Do

This is all purely my personal opinion. I have used both the Garrett Infinium and White's TDI since they came out. Both are decent machines for the price. But neither one really compares to my Minelab GPX 5000 for overall performance, although we all know that machine costs far more money.

I like three things about the ATX immediately compared to my GPX - waterproof, built-in speaker, and built-in batteries. The discrimination thing is always intriguing but I know do not have much faith in discrimination systems for nugget detecting and so do not expect magic from the ATX in that regard. I really only need it to do one thing.

The ATX needs to bridge the gap between the Infinium/TDI and GPX by about half. The Infinium and TDI are no more powerful than a good VLF in all metal mode and so only really useful in extreme hot rock situations. The ATX does not need to match the GPX in performance but it sure needs to be clearly better than the Infinium and TDI. If it is, I will be very pleased with it.

I have a TDI waiting to run head to head against the ATX when I get my hands on one. I can assure you I am very curious to see how they compare.

I have the other potential trio, GPX 5000 and the Infinium. If I can get an early ATX ..I will try and do the same sort testing.

Cheers,

Tye

I would really like to hear what you both have to say about it Steve and Tye. The ATX is very intriguing and has some features I really like about it, but I'm going to hold back a bit for more "In-Depth" reviews to come in before pulling the pin on it.

Thanks.

:)

steve herschbach said:
This is all purely my personal opinion. I have used both the Garrett Infinium and White's TDI since they came out. Both are decent machines for the price. But neither one really compares to my Minelab GPX 5000 for overall performance, although we all know that machine costs far more money.

I like three things about the ATX immediately compared to my GPX - waterproof, built-in speaker, and built-in batteries. The discrimination thing is always intriguing but I know do not have much faith in discrimination systems for nugget detecting and so do not expect magic from the ATX in that regard. I really only need it to do one thing.

The ATX needs to bridge the gap between the Infinium/TDI and GPX by about half. The Infinium and TDI are no more powerful than a good VLF in all metal mode and so only really useful in extreme hot rock situations. The ATX does not need to match the GPX in performance but it sure needs to be clearly better than the Infinium and TDI. If it is, I will be very pleased with it.

I have a TDI waiting to run head to head against the ATX when I get my hands on one. I can assure you I am very curious to see how they compare.

I could be wrong but I dont theink the atx has built in batteries steve. My recon pro doesnt. you have to tuen the battery doors and then pull out a battery holder which holds 4 aa batteries on each side. you then charge the aa batteires in a battery charger...

By built in I meant batteries in the detector instead of on a backpack. No battery cable to get caught in the brush. If they have to come out to charge no big deal, that is Normal in the detecting world. External batteries are not.

steve herschbach said:
By built in I meant batteries in the detector instead of on a backpack. No battery cable to get caught in the brush. If they have to come out to charge no big deal, that is Normal in the detecting world. External batteries are not.

oh, ok...I get what you meant by it now....