Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What to buy Outlaw or Vaquero

They are both great machines. The vaquero in my opinion is a little deeper. The outlaw has a lot nicer tone in my opinion and I prefer the appearance of the outlaw over the vaquero. The three coil setup is also kind of cool. Good luck in your search

never used an outlaw. i have a vaquero and it works real good. i go out with others that have high dollar ones. find it is every bit as good and sometimes a bit better when sometimes check each others targets for a laugh. even though with no display, the disc is pretty accurate on the vaq. i have dug some good targets that they would have passed up. stuff i would have passed on, they dig and it is junk. depth is about the same. most stuff you will get is within 6 inches anyhow. i did get a 1857 silver half dime that was every bit of 7 inches deep and that is a small, thin silver coin.

What type of areas do you hunt the most? I prefer the Outlaw over my vaquero for a great deal of areas I hunt.I like the tone and the information that the outlaw provides a bit better than the Vaquero. There are a few things that you need to learn about the outlaw but once you know them it is a great machine. The vaquero is not a bad machine by any means but I personally have a harder time hearing the nuances in the tone with it when compared to my outlaw.

ToneTime said:
I prefer the Outlaw over my vaquero for a great deal of areas I hunt.I like the tone and the information that the outlaw provides a bit better than the Vaquero. There are a few things that you need to learn about the outlaw but once you know them it is a great machine. The vaquero is not a bad machine by any means but I personally have a harder time hearing the nuances in the tone with it when compared to my outlaw.
I have had 4 Vaqueros and I've used three Outlaws. Plan to add a brand new Outlaw and two coils to my personal detector arsenal for some of the reasons you mentioned. I also prefer the audio tone of the Outlaw, and even more I like the audio subtleties. More like the Bandido II µMAX I own.

I also think the decision, if buying a new detector, ought to be to go with the Outlaw.

Monte

QUESTIONS:
What types of sites do you usually search?
Which h search coils do you plan to use?
What types of targets are you generally searching for?
What detectors have you had, do you have, and why do you want one of these two Tesoro models?
Are you planning to buy brand new, or are you shopping form a used Tesoro?

COMMENTS:
In think we need to make sure what operating features we want before making a purchase of any detector. For example, I do usually hunt in the motion-based Discriminate mode, which is what most people do. However, I also delegate a certain amount of hunting time in a Threshold-based All Metal mode, which is what few people do, and when in the All Metal mode, I like to be able to quickly shift to the Discriminate mode to check a target signal. To quickly shift between an All Metal and Discriminate mode you need to have a touchpad, pushbutton or toggle to make the change and not disturb the Discrimination setting.

I can do that with most of the detectors I own and use, such as my Bandido II µMAX, and I can with an Outlaw. You can't with the Vaquero because it doesn't provide the two separate mode settings. You have to adjust out of the Discrimination setting by turning the knob to click into All Metal, or turn the knob and adjust out of that mode to select a Discrimination mode setting.

I also like to hear an audio response that is more 'informative' and as some better audio qualities to it, and I get that with most models I use, such as my Bandido II µMAX, and I got similar audio benefits with the Outlaw models I have used. I've owned some Vaquero's and parting with them, quickly, was partly because I just didn't like their audio quality.

SUGGESTIONS:
Try to find a local Tesoro Dealer. I know that is very difficult these days, but give it a try, or if you are a member of or can visit a local metal detecting club, perhaps someone there owns the models you're shopping for and they can let you check them out. Listen to the audio. Use the Discrimination to see if it rejects iron and other sample targets as you would desire. Check the 'feel' of the foam grip for firmness and quality of fit. Check out the controls and see if the mode choice functions are satisfactory for you.

Also, decide if you want a NEW detector or a USE detector. I just could be a different model might satisfy you if 'used' is on your shopping list. An example would be a nice and clean Bandido II µMAX model.

I do not NEED either of the models you mentioned, but I WANT one of them for my personal use and to use in my seminars, therefore it needs to be versatile / functional, and that model is the Outlaw. So, my suggestion is to shop for an Outlaw, if you're looking to invest in a brand new detector, to benefit from Tesoro's Lifetime Warranty to the original owner.

Monte

I'm super happy with both detectors. For depth, the Vaquero. For nail laden sites, the Outlaw. Both are good at handing nails, but the Outlaw is the clear winner. Other than the Silver µMax, the Outlaw has by for the best audio response. I never would have sold my amazing Silver µMax, except for the fact that the Outlaw can equal it's audio response and is deeper.

Oh one other thing, the higher frequency of the Vaquero handles EMI much better than the Outlaw does in some locations that I detect.

Get both!

tabman

I have used both ,, as far as sports fields where getting really deep is not an issue I would choose the Outlaw, in fact if I had my pick of all the detectors i have owned musketeer, sob GT,, god bug , compadre, silver umax, cebola, vaquero, whitesM-6, bliss tool, as far as hunting sports fields the outlaw is my favorite, and it does good at relic hunting to , just not as deep as the VAq or the bliss tool, the thing I like about the outlaw is its not over powered, and not under powered, and its threshold all metal can tell you how big and how deep something is my favorite coils on the outlaw 7" wide scan and 8" round and the 10x12. if its depth you need try the vaq but the outlaw has a place in your arsenal.

Thanks for the reply
Monte I will be searching around old house sites and grog shop
As far as coil size I am not sure but I like the idea of 3 coils with the Outlaw
Detector I have owned a Tesoro lobo and a dingo that's a lobo that has been modified to handle high mineral ,garret a2b deep seeker minelab gt ft 1600 pi 2000 to 5000 at the moment I have a 4500 and a whites spp.
As fare as new or second hand if its a good clean second hand I do not mind but if not will look at new
Targets with a bit of luck old coins and gold
Can some one explain what other meant when talking about the Outlaw and its tones they liked it over the Vaquero

iron bark said:
Can some one explain what other meant when talking about the Outlaw and its tones they liked it over the Vaquero
i think they mean the tone of the tone...

I'll chime an echo to Weekend and Monte. I plan to get a outlaw in the future because I do not like the tone beep of the H.O.T line of machines. And the Outlaws coils will swap with my beloved Cutlass micro max.

On the other side I hear plenty of great things said about the capabilities of the Vaq and I can't dispute that. Had the Cibola and just couldn't transition after years and countless hours with the uMax.

Good luck with your choice, don't think you would be under gunned with either,

Lakota

After having used both of them i would say go with the Vaquero. I never had near the finds with the Outlaw as the Vaquero. And get the 5.75" coil for it too.

Some civil war relic hunters use all metal when on a mountain battle ground or camp. You search in all metal as to not miss a faint signal which you could miss in silient operation. When you hear something , then you switch to disc to check it. Unlike most Tesoro detectors of the past , it is difficult to use the Vaquero this way because it has no toggle switch to move quickly back and forth between the two modes. Most civil war relic hunters in Georgia hunt with this method. Get the Outlaw if you are going to hunt civil war.

and quite often I use the Threshold-based All metal mode of several detector I use, and I'm not chasing eastern CW artifacts. Nope, I'm way out here in the Good Old West and use All Metal for sparse target sites, cache hunting, and just covering open areas where there was once noteworthy activity.

You are spot-on about the Vaquero design and it was hard for me to figure out why a savvy manufacturer would make a model like that. A good track record for 'functionality' with the Inca, Eldorado, four Bandido models then the Eldorado µMAX and what do we get? The Vaquero that lacks a quick mode change toggle, button or switch.

Monte