Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What to choose...

the Swede

...a P.I.-detector or Excal II for finding lost jewelry in saltwater?

If ground-balancing with the Excal sometimes could be a problem and cause swearing - wouldn

The question of choosing between an Excal or a PI detector for hunting shallow water comes down to how much ferrous trash you are willing to dig.

The Excal and the Fisher CZ-21 (20 if you find one) handle salt and black sand with minimal adjustments . . . . . ground balancing is not an issue with either one. The XZ has a simple adjustment and the Excal does it automatically. They have a full range of discrimination so you can dial in what you feel you need.

The PI detectors do have an edge on detection depth but you do hear everything . . . . . and on beaches that are shared with fishermen, you can find sme real deep fish hooks (take my word for it!)

It comes down to the sites you will be hunting. If raw depth is the more important factor for you, then a PI will give that to you. On the other hand, if you want the flexibility of discrimination, then a CZ or Excal may tip the scale.

I have used (and own) all three . . . . and have found coins at 15"+ with all of them.

Hate to not give you a black and white answer but I am sure others will also provide you with their perspective.

Hope this helps

Andy Sabisch

n/t

The PI detectors may get you some chains that might be missed with an excal or CZ 21 / CZ20 or BHID in discriminate mode. Other than that, I think Mr. Sabisch hit the nail pretty directly on the head.

n/t

All I want to take to the beach is my PI. I have used a HH wader, surfmaster Pi ,and HH Pi If I am going to walk it I am going to find all I can trash and all. I have dug stuff with the Pi's when others didn' t find anything.
They do dig deeper than non pi"s... 1 was a small wire 10k heart ring w/ice at 18 in and a small 925 rope neckless at about 20ins. you can contact sharkhunter to check that out I was using the HH Pi
With the whites surfmaster PI you can swing alittle faster than the HH PI. I bought both to try the HH Pi is more sens.. too small gold than the whites but I am going to still sell the HH Pi

Hopes this helps

Michael aka Fieldboy

playing the odds... number of junk targets to good targets its an easy pick.... EXCAL !!

mikeB

excal/etrac

I hate to say how many detectors I have in various configurations . . . . . the Sovereign with the WOT or even the Excelerator coil gets amazing depth on the beaches of SC where I tend to hunt more often. With the amount of ferrous trash from Hugo in 1989, it makes using a PI very challenging unless you want a full workout.

On the other hand, I have found that a PI detector on the south Florida beaches has given me an edge over my CZ-20 or Excal. But there are some great hunters in those areas that make great finds with them. The PI's are a tad more sensitive to the small stuff but once you get into rings, the edge is harder is distinguish

Heck, on fresh water sites, the Tiger Shark is unstoppable when it comes to charms and chains . . . some of which the CZ & Excal will not hit even when the target touches the coil.

Again, if there were one detector that did it all, my wife for one would be a lot happier . . . . . use what works for you in your area and for your style of hunting,

Andy

Go with a PI unit it will find stuff the other VLFs will never see, I don't care if other people think a VLF is just as deep as a PI they are not even close, and the tesoro Sand shark will outperform the Tiger shark in any situation. All VLF units see all large galvanized iron as a good target using the disc, and large iron that is very deep 6-10 inches will register as a good target to a VLF so you will dig lots of trash anyway unless it is very shallow, I took four of my VLF detectors down to the black sand fresh water beach and that is how they all performed, no matter how any of them were set, The PI will outperform all the minelab FBS multi frequency machines, so if you really want to find stuff buried deep than the PI is the unit for you, also if you are a certified scuba diver like my self most PIs are submersable. Happy hunting
The Prospector

n/t